In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

venison jerky marinade?

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
What do you suggest? Found some liquid smoke at the store in apple flavor.. Thats my favorite wood flavoring, so... hit me up!

Comments

• NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Be careful with that. Just a splash.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah. They had BIG bottles then LITTLE bottles. Ill prolly get a little bottle with one of those eyedropper things for food and kinda drop it on a little at a time.
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know if it is available where you are at but Louie's P&R wild game seasoning is great for a marinade. That with some beer and soy sauce makes a great marinade.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    If your sending it to Zulu make sure there is plenty of salt products (soy sauce ect.) to act as a preservitive.

I normally use:

2 parts Dales
    1 part Soy Sauce
    1 part Worshishire
    1/3 part liquid smoke
    2 or 3 table spoons garlic juice
    2 table spoons lemon or lime juice

Marenade for aprox. 24 hours before cooking/drying.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    If your sending it to Zulu make sure there is plenty of salt products (soy sauce ect.) to act as a preservitive.

I normally use:

2 parts Dales
    1 part Soy Sauce
    1 part Worshishire
    1/3 part liquid smoke

If it is any good I will be sending it to Jake. That is the first thing he requested. What is "Dales"?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jacob2008

I normally use:

2 parts Dales
    1 part Soy Sauce
    1 part Worshishire
    1/3 part liquid smoke

If it is any good I will be sending it to Jake. That is the first thing he requested. What is "Dales"?
    Dales is a liquid steak marenade seasoning.

I'm not sure if it is readily avaible in your area because it is a southern thing. Check your local walmart in the area with steak sauces and such. If anyone has it wallies will.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    If you have a scheels near by they have a jery seasoning called buckpoint. best i have found, its for strip jerky but i use if for ground jerky.
    edited November -1

I normally use:

2 parts Dales
    1 part Soy Sauce
    1 part Worshishire
    1/3 part liquid smoke

I'm not sure if it is readily avaible in your area because it is a southern thing. Check your local walmart in the area with steak sauces and such. If anyone has it wallies will.
    If its a southern thing I almost promise its here. Dam rednecks gettin everything we request... You have no clue how long I asked for them to put sweet baby rays on the shelf.. a little thing like sweet baby rays, but noooo, theyve got EVERYTHING else.

Ill take a gander and see what I can find.
    edited November -1

I normally use:

2 parts Dales
    1 part Soy Sauce
    1 part Worshishire
    1/3 part liquid smoke

If its a southern thing I almost promise its here. Dam rednecks gettin everything we request... You have no clue how long I asked for them to put sweet baby rays on the shelf.. a little thing like sweet baby rays, but noooo, theyve got EVERYTHING else.

Ill take a gander and see what I can find.
    When you make it take about 1/4 of the meat and sprinkle some course ground pepper on it before cooking/drying. Last time I sent some to him some of the guys in his unit liked the peppered stuff.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Here is the stuff you want:

http://www.dalesseasoning.com/

Do not get the low sodium stuff as you want the salt in it to help preserve it.
    edited November -1
    May have been lieing to you... Ive never seen that before, and im always looking for new seasonings. In case I cant find it, anything else that would be able to substitute without tasting nasty?
    edited November -1
    May have been lieing to you... Ive never seen that before, and im always looking for new seasonings. In case I cant find it, anything else that would be able to substitute without tasting nasty?
    Add one extra part of soy and 1/2 extra part of worshishire would still taste good. I have done this before I found out about dales.
    edited November -1
    Add one extra part of soy and 1/2 extra part of worshishire would still taste good. I have done this before I found out about dales.
    Sounds good to me. Can tell whose the cook in YOUR family, figgered it might be that boy [:D]
  • ATHOMSONATHOMSON Member Posts: 3,399 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jake, GRD is spot on about Dales seasoning. Best I have found for marinating game. I have 8 or 10 bottles at camp and could send you a couple if you need. Always interested in helping someone help a soldier.

AT
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ATHOMSON
    Jake, GRD is spot on about Dales seasoning. Best I have found for marinating game. I have 8 or 10 bottles at camp and could send you a couple if you need. Always interested in helping someone help a soldier.

AT

Thanks for the offer. I may be interested in purchasing a bottle of it, Im going to try to make a piece of two and see how it comes out before I go making a whole bunch of it, if its good, Ill let ya know [:)] Thanks for the offer!
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:What do you suggest? Found some liquid smoke at the store in apple flavor.. Thats my favorite wood flavoring, so... hit me up

Number ONE ingredient is ......... FRESH MEAT!!

It don't matter what you put on it at this point because it will make you sick either way.

Mike
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...All store bought jerky is way too sweet for me.
    I like salty and peppery. I've used this basic
    marinade on beef and venison for over 20 years.

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup worstershire sauce
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp seasoned pepper (Lawry's or plain coarse cracked pepper)
    a few drops of liquid smoke (if you want it)

...I just hang the strips over oven racks with foil uderneath
    to catch the drips. Set your oven as low as it will go (150-200),
    for 5-8 hours. Leave the door cracked open. Strips should be hard, but not brittle.
    Of course, a smoker is better, but the oven works fine.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ...All store bought jerky is way too sweet for me.
    I like salty and peppery. I've used this basic
    marinade on beef and venison for over 20 years.

1/3 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup worstershire sauce
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp seasoned pepper (Lawry's or plain coarse cracked pepper)
    a few drops of liquid smoke (if you want it)

...I just hang the strips over oven racks with foil uderneath
    to catch the drips. Set your oven as low as it will go (150-200),
    for 5-8 hours. Leave the door cracked open. Strips should be hard, but not brittle.
    Of course, a smoker is better, but the oven works fine.

Im with Zulu on the store bought.. its TOOOO wet for me. I have a smoker, I have an oven, and I have a dehydrator.
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chipotle Tabasco sauce is good to add into the mix!
  • mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Click and read, notice at the bottom left it says "raw wild game: 8-12 months" is a good time frame to keep it frozen. It says now where even anything over 1 year. And NO freezing meat does NOT kill bacteria.

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-long-will-frozen-meat-stay-fresh.htm

Mike