In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1 of over 6000 emails I have ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2008 in General Discussion
gotten in the past week.
I know a lot of you think this wont go anywhere but here is a couple of emails in the inbox
Hello Dan Little,
My name is Mitch Moore. I am a software tester and part time graphic artist living in SweeWar on Terrorer, TX. I just watched your interview with CNBC.com and I am impressed with your bold American attitude. As one "little guy" to another, I'd like you to know that I support you and any effort/s that may be forthcoming from yourself, your company, and/or any other truckers should you take a stand against injustice.

I have but a 40 mile commute to work on I-20 in Texas and fuel prices are breaking my back. Exxon Mobil is merely one example of corporate greed, setting annual profit records in the billions of dollars at the expense of hard working "little guys" like you and me. I believe that you are correct in laying the responsiblity of fair and balanced regulation of our economy, and ultimately our fuel prices at the doorstep of our government. Make no mistake, my friend- it is not unpatriotic to take a stand against injustice in this great country! That's why I will spread the word of support for you and any other American making a stand for what is just.

God bless you and every other American who keeps on truckin' while absorbing the brunt of unjust fuel prices in this crashing economy. God be with all of us "small voices" in this country for I'm afraid it will get worse before we can make it better. But it will never be better if don't make a stand and let our voices be heard.

If there is anything more someone like me can do to support your efforts in these trying times, please feel free to contact me.

Thank you and God bless!

ps- I am sharing this message with my brother and a coworker. I hope the word spreads.

Sincerely,

Mitch Moore
Dear Mr & Mrs Little,

I heard the interview with NPR (National Public Radio) today on my way home from work and was pleasantly surprised. My husband and I want to give you a pat on the back, and say way to go, keep up the good work!!!!! It's people like you that will put this country right again. Being the daughter of a former trucker, I understand the hardships that trucking families go through. Not being able to make rent, buy groceries, or enough gas for heat the rest of the winter are just a few things that I KNOW your families will go through if the price of fuel doesn't go down soon. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Not only that, but if there's anything we can do, write letters, emails, phone calls to Washington and Jefferson City, just let us know. It's my hard earned dollars being spent at the grocery store (for children with special health needs to boot) for items that used to be cheaper, until this giant sucking of the American pocket by the oil companies started.
God bless you and all the independent truckers who participate in your cause. I will pray for your success in being heard.
PS. Remember the gas "crisis" of the late 70's/early 80's? May "Rubber Duck" Ride Again!!!

Ginger Crabb
I just want you to know that I listened to you today on NPR and I came home and sent EVERYONE in my address book and even people I don't know a link about your grassroots crusade. I think it is FABULOUS what you are doing and don't let ANYONE tell you differently. You have my support and what it sounds like, the support of the nation.

Bless you for your courage.

Jana Brumbaugh

Comments

• Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we have a celebrity here on gd now ha. can i have you autogragh Mr. little?
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FUNNY [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:Exxon Mobil is merely one example of corporate greed, setting annual profit records in the billions of dollars

So now we want to regulate corporate profits? Sounds kinda "Lenin-ish" to me. Next I guess it will be OK for Congress to set caps on what a chemical engineer can make, and a waiter or waitress, then maybe an electrician and plumbers will be next.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iluvguns
    quote:Exxon Mobil is merely one example of corporate greed, setting annual profit records in the billions of dollars

So now we want to regulate corporate profits? Sounds kinda "Lenin-ish" to me. Next I guess it will be OK for Congress to set caps on what a chemical engineer can make, and a waiter or waitress, then maybe an electrician and plumbers will be next.
    That's one of several reasons why I am angered when people complain about corporate profits. This is America - you have the right to make a profit, and the government should not be telling you that you can't.

The free market will determine if you are making too much money or not. You'll find your sales dwindling.
  • Options
    mike55mike55 Member Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

That's one of several reasons why I am angered when people complain about corporate profits. This is America - you have the right to make a profit, and the government should not be telling you that you can't.

The free market will determine if you are making too much money or not. You'll find your sales dwindling.
    ARE YA'LL SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    So you are telling me that you have NO PROBLEM eating up all the bulls**t about the price of crude oil going up and that is why gas prices go up. Well guess what, supply is high and demand is low. So why have the prices continued to go UP AND UP. Simple, because oil companies have a monoply on the country. Anyone who can give a 140 MILLION DOLLAR retirement package to a CEO is price gouging. You cannot set here and say that is ok. Ya'll must have an interst in the oil business. This is not supply and demand nor should it be legal. This is totally differnt than plumbers and other trades because there are several companies to pick from. When you buy gas you buy it from one of a few companies and they are makeing too much money to reduce prices. PURE GREED.
    My two cents worth. Anyone else with a little common sense will agree. So lets see what every one else thinks.
    Mike
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just a note: If you guys really want to shut things down get the "fuel haulers" to shut down for a few days. And don't just shut down, block access to refineries with your trucks. The impact will be more visible as gas stations run out of fuel and the "average" american is directly effected.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mike55
    quote:

ARE YA'LL SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    So you are telling me that you have NO PROBLEM eating up all the bulls**t about the price of crude oil going up and that is why gas prices go up. Well guess what, supply is high and demand is low. So why have the prices continued to go UP AND UP. Simple, because oil companies have a monoply on the country. Anyone who can give a 140 MILLION DOLLAR retirement package to a CEO is price gouging. You cannot set here and say that is ok. Ya'll must have an interst in the oil business. This is not supply and demand nor should it be legal. This is totally differnt than plumbers and other trades because there are several companies to pick from. When you buy gas you buy it from one of a few companies and they are makeing too much money to reduce prices. PURE GREED.
    My two cents worth. Anyone else with a little common sense will agree. So lets see what every one else thinks.
    Mike
    Actually, this shows you don't understand economics.

Gas and oil are COMMODITIES. They are freely traded on the commodities market. You, just like everyone else, can buy commodities (oil and gas futures).

Right now, it isn't just a supply and demand thing. It is a future unrest thing. The price of oil and gas spikes whenever there is serious turmoil in the mideast. And, right now, we're fighting a war in Iraq, Iran is sabre-rattling, and the OPEC ministers have suggested they're not only not going to increase production, but are considering lowering production. All of this negatively affects the guarantee of supply in months to come, which in turn drives up the price of oil.

Another issue is that this is merely yet another bubble. People are jumping on the bandwagon in hopes that they can make a buck in the commodities market. At some point, this bubble too shall burst, and I think you'll find the price of oil fall greatly. The question isn't an "If" so much as a "When."

Now, if you really want to dip into the profits of the oil companies while "helping" out the little guy, you might want to write your Member of Congress and Senators and demand to know why the oil companies are given $18 billion in federal subsidies while they're raking in many more billions in profit.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    although i applaud your efforts Dan, i fear it will have to be on a bigger scale to be effective. i think the whole country needs to "shut down" for say a month, nobody working, nobody buying,selling, driving, paying bills ,no taxes, nothing, then they might get the picture that we can stay home and be broke. they have created legalized slavery. when you work and after paying bills have nothing, your the same as a slave[V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:
    This "free market" you speak of is full of GREEDY oil speculators. Your right that is the problem, but the oil companies can still lower there prices and drop the oil speculators down. But no these two work together. Oil speculators drive the price up and oil companies make unreasonable profits so they can keep the price up. No matter how you look at it oil companies could lower the price if they cared about this country or anyone but themselves. The love of money is the root of all evil. And believe me, we live in an evil world.(p.s. I never said I know anything about trading or the commodites part, but alas I am still right[:D][:0])
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mike55
    quote:
    This "free market" you speak of is full of GREEDY oil speculators. Your right that is the problem, but the oil companies can still lower there prices and drop the oil speculators down. But no these two work together. Oil speculators drive the price up and oil companies make unreasonable profits so they can keep the price up. No matter how you look at it oil companies could lower the price if they cared about this country or anyone but themselves. The love of money is the root of all evil. And believe me, we live in an evil world.(p.s. I never said I know anything about trading or the commodites part, but alas I am still right[:D][:0])
    Mike
    You may think you're right, but you're not.

If you want to have a REAL effect on the price that you pay at the pump, the place to start is with your city, state and federal governments that tack on tax after tax after tax.

If they would give up their greedy taxes, the price of a gallon of gas would go down by 84 cents in Colorado, for instance.

Also, you must consider that the oil companies aren't making big bucks per gallon of gas. Much of the cost of a gallon of gas, after the taxes are considered, include discovering the gas, refining the gas and transporting the gas. The profit per gallon is actually pretty slim. And, this is only the profit that the oil company makes.

You then have the point of delivery - the gas station. The profits are very slim per gallon here, too, although it is a bit more flexible. In a typical period, the gas station makes about five cents/gallon of gas. However, when gas prices fluctuate as much as they do, the profit margin is higher. And, again, this has to do with capitalism.

When Billy Bob sees that the price of oil is going up, he is going to prepare for his next delivery of fuel, which will be more expensive than the previous delivery he received. So, although his costs haven't gone up yet, he is going to raise his prices to recoup the future cost. So, while his pump price should be, at five cents per gallon profit, $2.50/gallon, he has cranked his pump price to $2.70/gallon and is now making twenty-five cents per gallon.

But, it doesn't end there. Jimmy Joe sees that Billy Bob has raised the price at the pump. Jimmy Joe knows that his future fuel prices are going up as well. Jimmy Joe cranks up his price to $2.72/gallon.

Billy Bob doesn't want to lose out on an additional two cent per gallon profit, so he ratchets his price to $2.72/gallon. Jimmy Joe cranks his up to $2.75, and the cycle continues.

If you don't believe the above scenario, sit yourself in front of a metro-area gas station and watch them change the price three times in a single day. It happens all the time. Gas station owners in close quarters use binoculars, and when that doesn't work, they drive around town to check out the competition.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the cause may be of noble birth; expecting the government to do anything good is a fools game. Why on earth would you want the walking CF we call the federal government to have yet more power?

Some folks just don't think things through.

A much more effective protest would be malicious compliance with all laws and regulations. Drive 55 in a 55 zone, comply to the letter with all tire, light, inspection and maintenance regulations. By letting the people see how * the government is you will garner a lot more support.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Price of gas is at an all time high, and diesel is higher, and oil company profits are also at an all time high. What else do we need to know about the way oil companies are rapeing us?
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Wow!

Not even OLD and BOLD!
    [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Price of gas is at an all time high, and diesel is higher, and oil company profits are also at an all time high. What else do we need to know about the way oil companies are rapeing us?
    +9000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

The above example does not excuse the HIGH profits oil companies make. What about the 140 MILLION DOLLAR retirment package for ONE ceo?!?!?!?!?
    Is that because of Billy Bob? I think not.
    Mike