In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lost my barn to a fire

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
When it rains it poors.

Our 120 year old two story post & beam dairy barn burnt this afternoon. It appears to have been an eletrical problem.

We were not at home at the time. I got a call on my cell phone from a friend who told me the barn was on fire. By the time I got back home the entire structure was down. A large hay field adjcent to he barn was also buring. The Fire crews faught the blaze for almost three hours, but it stil has hot spots that are flaming up.

All the anmals were out to pasture, so all we ost was the barn, and all the equipment inside. I had just put over $5500 in new roofing tin & materails in the upper hay maul last week. I had paid an Amish friend $6500 dollars last Saturday to put a new roof on the barn. All my decoys, and several tree stands, a new lawn mower, snow blower, air compressor, three saddles, and a ton of tack, all my ice fishing gear, and too much other stuff to worry about now.

Tinity +++

Comments

• JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats with all the barn burings? Had one to go up in smoke in Ft. Worth killed 6 horses...
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Really sorry to hear of that. I am sure this is tough for you.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear. Fire is a sumbitch...
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your barn, and contents.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a tragedy. I hope you had insurance. I know it wouldn't cover the loss, but would help.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a damn shame. Sorry for your loss. Too many of these structures are just disappearing anymore. Most are just decaying and falling apart from a lack of maintenance. I really love those old barns, as they truely are a part of rural American history.

Please post some before and after pictures if you can.
  • edgecamedgecam Member Posts: 3,280
    edited November -1
    My father lost is barn last summer. It is heartbreaking to see 100 years of family history go up in flames. But you will find lots of things you had forgot about in the ruble.
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine the impact of the loss of my barn. I know it will be dificult to recover. I wish you good luck.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW......that is sooo hard to imagine. I am very sorry for what you must be going through.

One thing I would suggest you start doing. Get something in writing from your friends on what you just had done. They can't "depreciate" something you JUST had done. Another thing is to start writing down everything you had in there. You cannot imagine what all you will remember was in there as time passes....and trying to list it all at one time is just about impossible. All the tools, kids toys, car parts, farm equipment, things stored away in there.....you will remember things from time to time.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck,hope it gets better.
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Those old barns with the hay loft are/were something.

Helped my dad deconstruct a couple over the years. Amazing const, Huge 12x12, 12x14 beams held together with Oak pins. You could see on some beams they had been trimmed and finished with an adze.

I have put up about a million square bales in them thru the summer months as a youth. That was some sweaty, dusty, labor intensive work.

There had to be some history lost my friend, that and the loss of your stuff, is very sad.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,866 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear of your loss Trinity, but glad no people or animals were injured.
  • wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. But what is strange is this, we had two barns go up in flames last night in my neighborhood. Both were "electrical", but in both cases, a red truck was seen leaving the area. Really wierd, all these barns going up.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear. I think Aspen did it.
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear,I love old barns and the way they are built.I have a small one on my place that is need of repairs.Hopefully I can get it back in shape soon.