In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Air Conditioner Question

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
I have a York 3.5 ton air conditioner on the roof that is 10 years old. When it started up for the first time this year it ran with a loud noise and vibrations. I called in a repairman that I have used in the past and he said that the problem is in the compressor, that the compressor is not serviceable and the entire unit needs to be replaced. Is it now standard procedure to just replace the whole unit and not try to replace just the compressor?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,977 ******
    edited November -1
    " Is it now standard procedure to just replace the whole unit and not try to replace just the compressor?"...........not necessarily, but it may be cheaper. the old one is probably r-22 and very expensive to refill.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you replaced the compressor the unit would need flushed and the newer freon replaced in it. Cost would or could exceed the price of a new unit. You also will get a warranty on the new unit.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should last more than 10 years[:(!] However, have them check the interior air handling unit as well. And yes get a NEW roof top condensing unit.
  • Options
    pistoljimpistoljim Member Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on your exact install date, the comp. may still be under warr. I believe York has a 10 yr. warr.Check your paperwork or have your dealer call York.
  • Options
    auctionplugauctionplug Member Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    " Is it now standard procedure to just replace the whole unit and not try to replace just the compressor?"...........not necessarily, but it may be cheaper. the old one is probably r-22 and very expensive to refill.

Thats true - at about $100 a LB; but R407c is a good substitute.