In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

336 verses 94

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited March 2012 in General Discussion
Always thought the Marlin 336 was a club compared to the Winchester 94.

Having just bought a 336 and noting my limited experience with the 94 I believe the 336 is as good as or better rifle. Seems to me the 94 has too many parts to keep moving when operated.

Your thoughts.

Thanks

Sage1

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 1 Win 94, bought it just to have one. I then bought 2 Marlin 336s. Like you, I also like the Marlin better. The action is smoother and you dont have all those parts jumping out the bottom when you cycle the action.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've certainly heard that the Marlin is a smoother rifle, and really don't doubt the claims, but my hardheadedness and devotion to everything Winchester (prewar) somewhat bias my opinion towards the tried and proven Winchester Model 1894/94! [8D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I used to think that the Marlin was a far superior rifle. But since I've had a chance to shoot them both a lot more, I've come to the conclusion that "superior" is a really subjective term.

I love the solid, smooth 336. But I hit better with the 94.

The Winchester just seems like a more natural-feeling rifle in my hands.

Don't get me wrong, you could give me the Marlin and I'd be happy as a clam. But if I had to spend my own money, I'd probably opt for the Winchester.
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got several 94's, one I inherited from my uncle in 1967, 1923 in 32 special. I've been shooting it ever since, never let me down.
  • Options
    pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    My 336 operates smoother than my 94, also the 336 is side eject which would be easier to scope. The 94 get shot alot more than the marlin. My oldest loves it.
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    I own both the 94 and 336 and like them about the same. The 94 is smaller and lighter and the 336 has an edge in the accuracy dept that I am not sure is because of the microgroove rifling.
    But I do think they are both excellent lever guns and like them both.
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got four Marlins and two Winchesters, I think that the Marlins are better rifles all the way around. I find that (for me) the pistol grip stock is a more natural shooting position and the Marlins are much smoother.
    I'm certainly not putting the Winchesters down, I love the ones I own but prefer the Marlins

"worth what you paid for it"
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer my Marlin 93 takedown![:D] Just to add fuel to the fire.[;)]
  • Options
    kabarkabar Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both and I just like the Marlin better. All around it's a nicer looking rifle.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends. Post '64 I'll take the Marlin, but when I want a handy rifle to just enjoy carrying in the deer woods, it's my old 94 .32 Special every time.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "94" ALL THE WAY.....(pre WWII, of course)[:D]
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..Somehow, I've never owned a '94. Many trades ago, my first centerfire rifle was a 336. No complaints, and with my much younger eyes, it was deadly. Very smooth. Nowadays, I'd probably have to put a low power scope on one to get the most out of it.
  • Options
    9 on the floor9 on the floor Member Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had both until recently.
    Both are great shooters fitted with receiver sights.
    The Marlin did feel more solid and looked less like deploying landing gear when you cycled the action, but the '94 is lighter, prettier [in my opinion], and is a Winchester and a classic.

Our younger son came home on leave, spotted the Marlin, and typicaly asked if he could have it.
    I gave it to him. But he'll have to wait 'til I keel over to get the Winchester.[:D]
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    The 336 is a workhorse. The 94 is a race horse. I love the '94's, they are so graceful and beautiful, and so much history behind them. A really, really good design. The 336 is a bit clubbier, but stronger and smoother. And easier to mount a scope on, for those who feel the need. I never did.
  • Options
    catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    As a lefty, I prefer the 336. All of the 94's I've shot had a tendency to drop hot brass down the back of my shirt collar. Also, being a physically larger rifle and having a pistol grip, the Marlin just fits better.
  • Options
    buffalobobuffalobo Member Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Colonel Plink Posted - 03/31/2012 : 2:21:07 PM I used to think that the Marlin was a far superior rifle. But since I've had a chance to shoot them both a lot more, I've come to the conclusion that "superior" is a really subjective term.

I love the solid, smooth 336. But I hit better with the 94.

The Winchester just seems like a more natural-feeling rifle in my hands.

Don't get me wrong, you could give me the Marlin and I'd be happy as a clam. But if I had to spend my own money, I'd probably opt for the Winchester.

Old-Colts Posted - 03/31/2012 : 1:51:43 PM I've certainly heard that the Marlin is a smoother rifle, and really don't doubt the claims, but my hardheadedness and devotion to everything Winchester (prewar) somewhat bias my opinion towards the tried and proven Winchester Model 1894/94!

+1

I have a 336bl and really like it, but I love and collect 94's.
  • Options
    we_dig_itwe_dig_it Member Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    I've certainly heard that the Marlin is a smoother rifle, and really don't doubt the claims, but my hardheadedness and devotion to everything Winchester (prewar) somewhat bias my opinion towards the tried and proven Winchester Model 1894/94! [8D]

+100[:)]
  • Options
    MrGunz22MrGunz22 Member Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both. I think they both have there place in the world. The marlin is built solid and much nicer for mounting a scope if you desire. The Winchester is lighter and handles better. Both are accurate
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both and you want go wrong with either. I have a side mounted scope on one of my Winchester 94's and it works good. The biggest thing I like about these guns are the new ballistic tip ammo available for them. It shoots a lot flatter and farther than the old round nose ammo.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/20rds-3030-hornady-leverevolution-140gr-monoflex-ballistic-tip-ammo/cName/rifle-ammo-3030-winchester
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger I prefered the winchester but as I got older and the old eyes need a scope for anything past 50 yards the Marlin now has the edge