In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which organization did you guys choose to donate..

ForkliftkingForkliftking Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
Which organization did you guys choose to donate for hurricane relief? I googled this question and there were several choices to choose from. Then I turned on the television and saw the presence of the American Red Cross so I choose them. http://www.redcross.org/ Seeing the children on tv that have been forced out of their homes and being placed in shelters kind of got to me. All of those homeless children will be in my thoughts this evening.

Comments

• Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We give annually to Angel Flight and Rotary International. Will never give $$$ to the Red Cross, only blood donations. We are giving to the Salvation Armory for the hurricane relief. 96% of your donation goes towards the cause.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    I wouldn't give one red cent the the American Red Cross after what they pulled on a platoon member who needed funds for emergency leave for his fathers' funeral.

The Red Cross REFUSED because he "didn't have enough time in service" - drafted with over 21 months left.

Everyone in the company threw in a few bucks, he went on emergency leave and eventually repaid everyone that donated. [^]

Also heard other 'horror' stories about the Red Cross.

Red Cross SUCKS in my book.

That is my opinion and it ain't changing.

It should have started with "everyone" not the Red Cross...my 2 cents
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't give one red cent the the American Red Cross after what they pulled on a platoon member who needed funds for emergency leave for his fathers' funeral.

The Red Cross REFUSED because he "didn't have enough time in service" - drafted with over 21 months left.

Everyone in the company threw in a few bucks, he went on emergency leave and eventually repaid everyone that donated. [^]

Also heard other 'horror' stories about the Red Cross.

Red Cross SUCKS in my book.

That is my opinion and it ain't changing.

Touching story but which organization did you donate to for this hurricane disaster? The news report I saw had several children bundled up in Red Cross blankets. That's how I made my decision.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I donated here: https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/disaster

+1
    Same for me.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been through ten major hurricane storms,and I have never received are asked for relief....If you knew how much money really gets to the people....I sent a donation to a family in Kentucky that lost their home to a fire...I make personal donations... I once asked the United Way if I could take several kids on a Christmas shopping spree,Orphans) and they told me I couldn't do that,but they would take my donation and disperse it through the orphanage....No more donations to any of the big nationals....[:(]
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    I donated here: https://donate.salvationarmyusa.org/disaster

+1
    Same for me.

Red Cross just wants monetary donations....the Salvation Army will take just about any donations of supplies and money..what's that tell ya. I'll give to the Salvation Army
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I support the Salvation Army and have a bad taste for the Red Cross from when I was in the Military. My youngest son works storm disaster and he says the Red Cross has changed and gives stuff to the workers and residents affected. He noted that in Joplin Mo they came by 4 or 5 times somedays giving out water and supplies. Maybe hope for them yet
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    None, I do not donate.
    Really? Somehow I always pictured you with an overabundance of extra white sheets lying around the house.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    St.Jude, USO, and DAV. The Red Cross can kiss me where the sun don't shine!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You children should be ashamed of yourself. Bashing any organization who help people out in need. I sure hope some of you someday don't NEED blood.
  • Options
    F7sonF7son Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Kettles & Bell Ringers

As you open your pocketbooks for the next natural disaster, please keep these facts in mind:

The American Red Cross President and CEO Marsha J. Evans' salary
    for the year was $951,957 plus expenses.

The United Way President Brian Gallagher receives a $675,000 base salary
    along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF CEO Caryl M. Stern receives $1,900,000 per year (158K) per month,
    plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
    Less than 5 cents (4.4 cents) per donated dollar goes to the cause.

HOWEVER

The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
    96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
    Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Disabled American Veterans National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Military Order of Purple Hearts National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Vietnam Veterans Association National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary. Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!
    No further comment is necessary.

Please share this with everyone you can.

--

Hold your loved ones close, tell them you love them, for if tomorrow never comes, you'll have no regrets about today!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and keep bashing the Red Cross. Regardless... I will give you a blanket, cot and feed you if the disaster arises.
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    You children should be ashamed of yourself. Bashing any organization who help people out in need. I sure hope some of you someday don't NEED blood.

So, you support organizations such as Amnesty International, ACORN, The United Nations, and the ACLU? All claim to "help people out in need".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/Thousands-Look-to-Red-Cross-for-Shelter-from-Sandy-176339611.html

Excellent post. Maybe it will open the eyes of a few non believers.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red Cross denies the internet rumors that they have charged for their services and products. The exception is that during WWII the Army request they charge for their donuts and lodging. Other than that, their policy is NOT to charge for what they hand out.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donated to the Red Cross after Katrina. It was good money thrown down a rat hole of mis-use and corruption.

Am giving nothing this time around. The coastal areas of Jersey and even the burnt-out areas NYC are not poor neighborhoods, and the residents have the where-with-all to take care of themselves, or at least had the where-with-all to insure their property.

Charity is best a local event, IMO. I give to the Salvation Army locally, and support a local crisis nursery. Don't want anything from remote folks, and absent something that is impossible to imagine, no longer waste my money on national causes that support remote folks.

This event was significant, but pales in comparison to the flooding in the Midwest a couple of years ago, which got next to no national attention or money.

Good luck to all who are caught up in Sandy, but you had the opportunity to establish what your luck would be long before the event occurred.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1

I've donated blood many times to blood banks. When ever a family member was in the hospital and given a blood tranfusion, they were CHARGED for it.

We had a Blood drive at Camp Pendelton for some Injured Bikers. They were charged Big bucks for the blood we donated. Tyhey will never see a cent from me.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    poppaleepoppalee Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Toys for Tots.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Education...

Why am I charged for blood at the hospital when I have donated blood to the Red Cross previously?

Since 1960, the Red Cross has been reimbursed by hospitals for the costs associated with providing blood to hospital patients. The Red Cross does not charge for the blood itself that you have so generously donated. The Red Cross only recovers the costs associated with the recruitment and screening of potential donors, the collection of blood by trained staff, the processing and testing of each unit of blood in state-of-the-art laboratories, and the labeling, storage, and distribution of blood components. Hospitals may have their own additional charges related to the administration of blood and may pass on these costs to their patients.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salvation Army ONLY.
  • Options
    A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    The Red Cross sucks.

They want cash donations because their executives that get $250,000 per year don't want to be paid with canned goods.

Salvation Army gets my donation.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Most established charities have executives making more money than I do. That being said, I would not donate to any one of them. I have an old friend from when I was in the Marines living in NYC. I sent him my donation with the knowledge that he will put it to good use for those that actually need it.
  • Options
    HWT FIREARMSHWT FIREARMS Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
  • Options
    xstuntmanxstuntman Member Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salvation Army.

Very little of the monies go to operating costs.
  • Options
    RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    I just forward my donations to Sean Penn. He even accepts Paypal!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    More education [:D][:D] Thank you for the donations to the Salvation Army.

Disaster services

Each year, the American Red Cross responds to more than 70,000 disasters, including house or apartment fires (the majority of disaster responses), hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, hazardous materials spills, transportation accidents, explosions, and other natural and man-made disasters.

Although the American Red Cross is not a government agency, its authority to provide disaster relief was formalized when, in 1905, the Red Cross was granted a congressional charter to "carry on a system of national and international relief in time of peace and apply the same in mitigating the sufferings caused by pestilence, famine, fire, floods, and other great national calamities, and to devise and carry on measures for preventing the same." The Charter is not only a grant of power, but also an imposition of duties and obligations to the nation, to disaster victims, and to the people who support its work with their donations.
    American Red Cross disaster relief focuses on meeting people's immediate emergency disaster-caused needs. When a disaster threatens or strikes, the Red Cross provides shelter, food, and health and mental health services to address basic human needs. In addition to these services, the core of Red Cross disaster relief is the assistance given to individuals and families affected by disaster to enable them to resume their normal daily activities independently. The organization also provides translation and interpretation to those affected when necessary, and maintains a database of multilingual volunteers to enable this.

At the local level, American Red Cross chapters operate volunteer-staffed Disaster Action Teams that respond to disasters in their communities, such as house fires or floods.

The Red Cross also feeds emergency workers of other agencies, handles inquiries from concerned family members outside the disaster area, provides blood and blood products to disaster victims, and helps those affected by disaster to access other available resources. It is a member of the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) sucand works closely with other agencies such as the Salvation Army and the Amateur Radio Emergency Service with whom it has Memorandums of Understanding.

The American Red Cross also works to encourage preparedness by providing important literature on readiness. Many chapters also offer free classes to the general public.

A major misconception by the general public is that the American Red Cross provides medical facilities, engages in search and rescue operations or deploys ambulances to disaster areas. As an emergency support agency, the American Red Cross does not engage in these first responder activities; instead, these first responder roles are left to local, state or federal agencies as dictated by the National Response Plan. The confusion arises since other Red Cross societies across the globe may provide these functions; for example, the Cruz Roja Mexicana (Mexican Red Cross) runs a national ambulance service. Furthermore, American Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicles (ERVs) look similar to ambulances. These ERVs instead are designed for bulk distribution of relief supplies, such as hot meals, drinks or other relief supplies. Although American Red Cross shelters usually have a nurse assigned to the facility, they are not equipped to provide medical care beyond emergency first aid.

Disaster Services Human Resources system

The Disaster Services Human Resources (DSHR) system enrolls volunteers from individual American Red Cross chapters into a national database of responders, classified by their ability to serve in one or more Activities within Groups. The activities vary from obvious ones such as feeding and sheltering ("Mass Care") to more specialized ones such as warehousing, damage assessment, financial accounting, radio and computer communications, public affairs and counseling. Responders must complete training requirements specific to the Activities they wish to serve in, as well as the basics required of all Disaster Service volunteers, which include a background check as well as training in First Aid,

National Response Framework

As a National Response Framework support agency, the American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides other types of emergency relief to victims of disasters. The American Red Cross is also a co-lead with FEMA for the mass care portion of the Emergency Support Function 6. This role gives the American Red Cross the joint responsibility for planning and coordinating mass care services with FEMA. The American Red Cross also has responsibilities under other Emergency Support Functions, such as providing health and mental health services.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not a fan of the Red Cross. I won't even give them blood. Carter Blood Care gets my blood.

They don't get a lot of publicity for it, but the Baptist Men's Association responds to disaster sites for rebuilding, self-funded and all volunteer.

I also like the Salvation Army. Good work with very little "overhead" expense.
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a hard time donating to big organizations, so much sometimes as much as 95% of thr donations are used up in administrative costs! When i donate, i want to see my money go to a needy person, not a CEO that makes a million dollars running the organization!
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also won't give to any organization, If I know of a certain family or person who needs help, I will give them $50 or $100 dollar bill, I know then there is no middleman who will take his cut, it may cut into the family budget for a few weeks but I know the receiving family needs it more than I do. I also never ask to be repaid just tell the person who I give the money to , when they get on their feet to pass it along someday to someone who they know needs it.
  • Options
    CDMeadCDMead Member Posts: 2,141 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://politicker.com/2012/11/staten-island-borough-president-dont-give-money-to-the-red-cross/

Wow. To think the people there don't like something that Mr. GM likes. Go figure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CDMead
    http://politicker.com/2012/11/staten-island-borough-president-dont-give-money-to-the-red-cross/

Wow. To think the people there don't like something that Mr. GM likes. Go figure.

Before you get your panties in a wad lets hear the other side of the story. Maybe the feds wouldn't let them in ... like Katrina.

Update.. Like I said the other side.. FEMA Damn politicians going where they don't need to go.[:)]

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/gillibrand_schumer_promise_red.html
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old jod we done alot of the cleanup work after several of the hurricanes about the only place you would see the red cross trucks is where the TV camera trucks were
  • Options
    edited November -1
    By reading all of the above replies, it looks like I screwed up by donating to the people in need after the recent hurricane. But it does show one thing: Most people would rather * about a cause than help to be part of the solution. To my fellow gunbroker friends that took the time to donate anything to any organization for this horrific disaster, I thank you. For the rest of you, I hope and pray that you or any of your family members never need help from anyone. I'm sorry for causing such a stink for trying to do something nice to help my fellow man in their time of need. [V][V][V]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    quote:Originally posted by eboydell
    None, I do not donate.
    Really? Somehow I always pictured you with an overabundance of extra white sheets lying around the house.

you slay me![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    so an actual serious response from me. take note. it is rare.

The Red Cross is extremely efficient in providing support. They are a tight organization with extensive resources. In most circumstances I would expect them to be the first to respond with the most stuff/human resources.

The Salvation Army is a wonderful group.
    They are a religious organization. If you think otherwise, I believe you are ill informed. Nothing wrong with that. But lets call it like it is.

There are a hundred organizations that one could name with a higher benefit-to-donation ratio than the Red Cross or the Salvation Army.

If thats your only criteria, you are going to wind up donating money to an iguana rescue organization based in Paraguay.

But, if you want to lay down coin and make a difference today... Choose the Salvation Army or the Red Cross. I think the Red Cross will be a bit quicker, due to their more extensive infrastrucure.

But the Salvation Army will get some relief to those in need as well. Just not as quickly.

Just my two cents... Someone smart will be along shortly to correct me[;)]
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to get into how much, to whom, when and where I donate, but a few of the organizations I consider worthy are St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, The Salvation Army, various Baptist relief groups and the USPS annual food drive.

The Red Cross is a very large and well funded organization so I'm sure they do a lot of good. Probably more than most other organizations. Because of a couple of unfortunate encounters of family members and one I was involved in, I won't donate to them.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.