In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

car batteries

tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
I know that when you replace one you have to pay a core charge but can you sell them to someone [?]

Comments

• Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    After a couple instances of a dead--not discharged, dead--battery stranding me or the wife here or there, I just started replacing the battery every three years. I don't buy the new, $250 batteries, just the standard $120 ones, and after three years service they're out and replaced.

I never had battery trouble after that.

My dad got on me, though, saying that with routine testing and so forth a battery could easily last me 4 or 5 or 6 years. Why not get more use out of it, he said? So I started testing them every few months and tried to milk some more life out of them.

And one just stranded me at 3 years and 10 months.

I do remember, as a younger man, often getting 6 or 7 years out of a battery. I drove them until they died and got another.

What say you all? Replace at 3 years? Drive on them until they die? Spend the extra $150 for the fancy jobs because they'll last longer.

(Don always just replies "Yes." so I'll save him the trouble.)
  • Options
    53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    Yes, the recycle yards will pay you for them. Price varies like everything else.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Scrap metal dealer. Prices go up & down monthly. In the last 2 years as low as $.50 each to high as much as $5.00 each.
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer
    I know that when you replace one you have to pay a core charge but can you sell them to someone [?]

A lot of places are not doing core charges on batteries anymore, unless it's a deep cycle of some sort or maybe some parts store. But not in most shops.

If you can get credit knocked off the bill, I would go for that right away and take what they give you. Most times when a core is involved you can make more on the trade than trying to sell one. Cores are usually around $10.00 while recycling places do $5.00.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Smash the plastic crap around all that precious lead, let that stuff leak out somewhere, and re-melt the lead for, oh I don't know, uh, maybe BULLETS!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not melting batteries for anything. Get a zombie to do it and shoot him when he's done.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of paying a core charge on a car battery around here. But I only deal with one tire/fix-m-up shop that sells Deka. Hard to beat a 1020 CCA 72 month Deka battery for less than $100.00. Or a 550 CCA mower battery for $25.00.

Gave a guy one a couple of weeks ago and he said that scrap dealers were paying $8.00 each for them. But as others have said the price changes every week.
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the time the core charge is more than the value of the cores scrap value.Sellers hope you don't bring the core back to them.If you don't bring it back means more money in the sellers pocket and they don't have to handle the toxic core.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a guy who sits on the side of the road with a sloppy hand painted sign that reads: Buy used batteries $5.00.

If he is paying $5, he has to be selling for $8 to make it worth his wild.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Recyclers in this area are paying as much as $9 a battery. All stores that sell car batteries here have to either charge a core charge or take an old battery in place of it.
  • Options
    butchlambertbutchlambert Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LesWVA,
    I thought Deka was a phonograph record company?
    Butch
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    did you see the movie the fastest indian.
    they broke and and melted the batteries for
    weight for his bike.
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by butchlambert
    LesWVA,
    I thought Deka was a phonograph record company?
    Butch

They were back before they invented electricity when everything ran on batteries. But when they went to Compact disc in 1946 Decka dropped out of the Phonograph market and just built batteries to power all of the Walkmans the GI's brought back from Japan after WW2.

deka_pic.jpg

[:D]
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    did you see the movie the fastest indian.
    they broke and and melted the batteries for
    weight for his bike.

There was another movie from Australia's outback that they used a batteries lead and melted it to fix a leak in the cars radiator. I don't remember the title.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.00 each at junk yards in conn.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,465 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1