In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A 46?

Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
edited October 2013 in General Discussion
Does anyone here shoot the .460 Rowland? I fail to see how it's a "46".

Failing that, does anyone shoot the 45super? Been looking at some auto loaders with a bit of punch.[:D]
Some will die in hot pursuit
And fiery auto crashes
While sifting through my ashes
Some will fall in love with life
And drink it from a fountain
That is pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was really considering a 460 Rowland a few years ago. I really like handgun hunting and I wanted an autoloader that would shoot like a 44 mag.

The Rowland will push a 230gr .45 cal bullet to 1400 fps+. I have heard good things about the conversion and I was considering one to put on a Colt Series 70 I have. I think it would be cool on a Glock 21 too. At the time I was looking at it they had not perfected the Glock yet.

I think the 45 Rowland would be a great choice and I think it would be a better choice than the 10mm...............If you reload. If not I would go with a 10mm. The Rowland needs to be reloaded to really shine plus the ammo is over $1 a round factory price.

I looked at it real hard and made my mind up that I did not need a Auto-loading hunting gun all that bad and will stick with my revolver.

I have taken one small Doe with a Glock 21 with handloaded 45 ACP ammo and it did a great job. I shot the doe at 20 yds in the pumphouse and she humped up kicked and ran about 75 yds then piled up. I was using 230gr XTPs and reloader #5 powder. That said I feel the 44 and 41 mag in a scoped revolver with hard cast lead bullets are a better hunting choice, at least for me.

If you get one be sure to do a review I am still interested in the Rowland.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    I think I'd be pretty concerned with that round in a glock platform, unless someone else made the barrel. They have a rep for not fully supporting the chamber, or at least sufficiently so, which is a major concern on such a high pressure round.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Rowland conversions all replace the barrel and the recoil springs on the host Pistol.

In the Glock 21, the barrel is SS and is either ported or it has a screw on compensator(All are like this) and it comes with a 24# recoil spring on a SS spring guide. I am not sure if the spring is captured or not. I think in the 1911 and xD platforms the recoil springs are full length guide and are un-captured.

Check out the Rowland web page they have a list of 1911's that they don't recommend for the conversion.

http://460rowland.com/

C&P from their web page(spelling errors are theirs): 1911's: are a little finecky by their very nature. It is, after all, a 110 year old design and different manufactures build to different tolerances. Spot heat treatment and loose construction is perfectly adequate for standard .45 ACP ammunition, but in order to upgrade to fire the Mighty .460 Rowland your gun must be fully heat treated and of the highest quality. Some 1911's we do not recommend for conversion include: Israeli Arms International (if made in the Philippines), Rock Island Armory, Essex, Llama, Taurus, Remington Rand, any WW2 or "GI" model, (modern Springfield Armory models notably excepted, we like Springfield 1911's), Auto Ordnance, Charles Daly,

Clark Custom Guns did the conversions in years past. I have dealt with Clarks before and they are a good outfit.
    RLTW

• Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I think I'd be pretty concerned with that round in a glock platform, unless someone else made the barrel. They have a rep for not fully supporting the chamber, or at least sufficiently so, which is a major concern on such a high pressure round.
    I bet that's the reason the Rowland kit will NEVER be approved for the Glock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I bet that's the reason the Rowland kit will NEVER be approved for the Glock.

I'll Bet $20 it is approved for the G21 and the G30.
    RLTW

• Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might as well just step up the 50 GI.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Of course, but isn't the saying "I shoot 45 cause there isn't a 46?" Regardless, like I noted, the .460 Rowland isn't even .460. It's still .451.[:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,470 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Of course, but isn't the saying "I shoot 45 cause there isn't a 46?" Regardless, like I noted, the .460 Rowland isn't even .460. It's still .451.[:I]
    same as the 460 S&W is a .452 I had one for awhile it basicly gives you 44 mag performance on a 1911 frame