In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dire Predictions?

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited July 2013 in General Discussion
When I was in high school in the early 60s, I recall predictions that Earth's Oil resources would be depleted by 1985. I guess the guys that made those predictions were the teachers of our present day Gore-ites.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    During my high school days, {early 70's} it was the earth going into a new ice age.
    Now it's global warming. [:o)][:o)]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    During my high school days, {early 70's} it was the earth going into a new ice age.

That is what I remember being told; that we were something like 10,000 years "overdue" for another ice age.

However for REAL dire predictions you just can't beat the Gun Broker forums. I don't know how many times in the past 11 years I have been warned that any day now I can expect a total economic collapse or martial law being declared.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D]

...so far in my life time, I had to trade my down parkas for sun block
    #40....sold all my stocks and bonds for gold....sold my 4 cylinder
    Reliant K car for a 4x4 diesel pick-up....had to back fill the hole I dug for the fall-out shelter....recharge all the banks of batteries for the solar cells....

....now wth am I going to do with 5000 lbs of dried beans????????

[:0][:0][:0]
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1

Reliant K car for a 4x4 diesel pick-up....had to back fill the hole I dug for the fall-out shelter....recharge all the banks of batteries for the solar cells....

Well first I'd soak em...
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat

Well first I'd soak em...

Then you will single-handedly (or using some other body part) solve the gas shortage.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I gave up on being a prepper, too costly, decided its easier to just bite the damn bullet [:D]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,080 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840

Nope.......the 'green people' changed it from global warming to "CLIMATE CHANGE" so warmer or cooler, they will be correct.

[;)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:0][xx(]
    That is how all the political types do it.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah that "Peak Oil" thing. Never did believe in that guess. I'm thinking with the removal of oil the land masses will stop slipping and start crumpling in odd places. You know like mountains rising in middle of Kansas.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yoshmyster
    Ah that "Peak Oil" thing. Never did believe in that guess. I'm thinking with the removal of oil the land masses will stop slipping and start crumpling in odd places. You know like mountains rising in middle of Kansas.

Peak Oil will be upon us in twenty years.

Of course, Peak Oil has been scheduled to be upon us in twenty years, for approximately forty years.

I think I am beginning to see a problem....[:0]
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember in school..... umm yeah I remember being in school but thats about all. [8D]
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    What about the ozone? That's what they were screaming when I was in school. Don't use aerosole hairspray!
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    When I was in school in 1962 we had to read 1984, a book about BIG BROTHER. At that time it seemed impossible to think that any of this could happen in this once great country. Really! just go out and buy a local newspaper this morning, you will be tracked by cameras, your purchase recorded, etc. Kind of makes the book about the future look like a walk in the park.
    Back then I used to pack my shotgun, ammo and hunting clothes to go out for pheasants on the way home in my buddies car. Today this action would get you a trip to Attica for a few years.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    probably an accurate prediction for the technology of the day
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1

divide them into 25 lb. bags and promote a grand scale give away [:D] [;)]