In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scope mount for flatop AR

txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I bought a Leupold scope and I am planning on putting it on a flatop AR. I have looked at a one piece Larue mount, is this the best? Should I get some throw lever rings? I have never mounted a scope in this manner, give me you opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Not quite sure what your real question is here. You dont need a mount, just rings, that is the point of the flat top.

If you are looking to get some extra height to be able to use low or medium rings then there are several companies out there that make "risers" that raise the "base" 3/4". By adding one of these it helps get the scope to a better position.

When I put the IOR on my AR I need more rail length so I added a GG&G extended riser (about $100). This allowed me to get my scope far enough forward for my eye relief. My buddy has a scoped flat top and uses high or extra high (cant remember ) rings.

If you are building a "target" or accurate rifle I would go with solid mount vs throw levers. While the throw levers work good for military accuracy being 1" off may not be good enough for you. Most say they will go back on within an MOA which equals 1" at 100 yards so if you are shooting 3-400 yards that could be a complete miss for you. I have a buddy that has "QD" style rings on his target M1A. Due to the size of his scope an how he wanted it mounted he can not see his open sights. He wanted to be able to take his scope off easy "just in case" something happened to his scope when he needed it. Now he can spin 2 levers and have it off in about 10 seconds. He does not use them for daily on and off use.

Here is a pic of the GG&G rail on mine:

DSC04391.jpg
  • Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by txlawdog
    I bought a Leupold scope and I am planning on putting it on a flatop AR. I have looked at a one piece Larue mount, is this the best? Should I get some throw lever rings? I have never mounted a scope in this manner, give me you opinions. Thanks.
    if the scope is a 30mm tube I have an armalite mount you can have for free [:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Not quite sure what your real question is here. You dont need a mount, just rings, that is the point of the flat top.

If you are looking to get some extra height to be able to use low or medium rings then there are several companies out there that make "risers" that raise the "base" 3/4". By adding one of these it helps get the scope to a better position.

When I put the IOR on my AR I need more rail length so I added a GG&G extended riser (about $100). This allowed me to get my scope far enough forward for my eye relief. My buddy has a scoped flat top and uses high or extra high (cant remember ) rings.

If you are building a "target" or accurate rifle I would go with solid mount vs throw levers. While the throw levers work good for military accuracy being 1" off may not be good enough for you. Most say they will go back on within an MOA which equals 1" at 100 yards so if you are shooting 3-400 yards that could be a complete miss for you. I have a buddy that has "QD" style rings on his target M1A. Due to the size of his scope an how he wanted it mounted he can not see his open sights. He wanted to be able to take his scope off easy "just in case" something happened to his scope when he needed it. Now he can spin 2 levers and have it off in about 10 seconds. He does not use them for daily on and off use.

Here is a pic of the GG&G rail on mine:

DSC04391.jpg

sir you like to snug up on your scope like I do. Most people I know don't "cheek" that far up. Nice to know I am not alone [}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Todesengel

sir you like to snug up on your scope like I do. Most people I know don't "cheek" that far up. Nice to know I am not alone [}:)]

Shooting AR's I was taught that the tip of your nose goes on the charging handle...... I have always been a forward shooter [:)]
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Larue has a mount that is a one piece mount that has rings attached to the mount itself, that is the one I am talking about. I know I could get just rings, but I guess this does the same thing as that extender does.

Todes, thanks for you kindness, but this is a one inch ring.

Even if I get just rings, I think I will need a riser or rail extension.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Larue has a mount that is a one piece mount that has rings attached to the mount itself, that is the one I am talking about. I know I could get just rings, but I guess this does the same thing as that extender does.

Todes, thanks for you kindness, but this is a one inch ring.

Even if I get just rings, I think I will need a riser or rail extension.
    just remember that once you start stacking you may as well get something like a prs stock as well. I find it difficult to shoot an ar without an adjustable stock, or at least a cheek rest if the scope is mounted on anything other than low, or maximum mid rise rings. Everyone is different though. Oh, and you are welcome
    edited November -1
    http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=30

This is the one I was talking about

Again I am going with the "what kind of gun is it" for if you want a QD style mount or not. I would never put a QD style mount on any of my target guns. I am sure it is an awsome mount and does exactly what it says it will, Larue is top notch stuff.

Tod also had a good point about height. I have mine low enough that I dont need a cheek piece of any kind but I do have a PRS stock on my target gun and love it:

DSC06840.jpg
    edited November -1
    I am just setting this up as a target rifle, I have a free floated bull barrell. I only have a regular stock. I don't really need a quick detach. I just heard larue has top notch stuff. I just need regular rings, I don't think the objective is too large. This scope is a leupold a 4.5X14 Tactical it has some other writing on the objective cover, III some other words. Forgive me, I never have had a scope like this! Its supposed to be a good glass.
    edited November -1
    I am just setting this up as a target rifle, I have a free floated bull barrell. I only have a regular stock. I don't really need a quick detach. I just heard larue has top notch stuff. I just need regular rings, I don't think the objective is too large. This scope is a leupold a 4.5X14 Tactical it has some other writing on the objective cover, III some other words. Forgive me, I never have had a scope like this! Its supposed to be a good glass.
    I personally like the one piece mounts, but it doesn;t sound like you will reap any benefits from a quick detach, unless your case is too small to place it in there with the scope still attached. If it is going to be a true dedicated target rifle I would certanly look into an adjustable stock, and aftermarket trigger. Leupold makes fine scopes, and I am sure what you have will be more than adequate. if you were closer I would be more than happy to let you try a few of mine to se which profile you like best. It may take trial and error before you find a combination you really like though as far as pull, height, and relief.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Qd mount really comes in handy when you have to remove your scope regularly, And Larue mounts are far and away the best option that I know of for retaining zero.

Also, If you wanted a mini red dot as an intigral part of your scope for close range shooting then the larue mount is the way to go. look at the fast fire attachment.

however if you dont need to remove your scope often, or a MRD, a set of badger ord rings would be all you need. I'd recomend the high rings
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    ARMS makes the best I've seen...

http://www.arms-mounts.com/
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:

i put the tip of my nose on the charging handle and then back off just a bit, the scope is very tight and helps keep things in line. good to know others know how to shoot!
    edited November -1
    Yeah I like the ocular a tad forward of the chargin handle on collapsible stocked rifles. seems to be the best place in my opinion.. Thats why I dont like alot of the AR spicific scopes, the eye relief is alittle to short.
    edited November -1
    The one I have (I had to look at the scope) is a leupold vari-x III 4.5X14 tactical. Is this a one inch or 30mm, does anyone know?
    edited November -1
    4.5-14x

Tactical
    MK4 ER/T scopes are all 30mm
    MK4 LR/T scopes are all 30mm

hunting
    VX-3LR only 50mm objective models are 30mm
    VX-IIILR only 50mm objective models are 30mm
    edited November -1
    The one I have (I had to look at the scope) is a leupold vari-x III 4.5X14 tactical. Is this a one inch or 30mm, does anyone know?
    looks like you might need that armalite mount after all [:D]
    edited November -1
    armalite mounts work well, I have two of them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    I never had an issue with them. I have two, and a spare as well. I ought it for 20 bucks used and couldn't pass up the deal.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik
    I never had an issue with them. I have two, and a spare as well. I ought it for 20 bucks used and couldn't pass up the deal.

I bought the first two about 3 years ago and they still tighten up enough with just thumb pressure to trust them to maintain zero. Thats what impresses me about them. I paid 40.00 apiece for them new.

I got another one with an Armalite carbine 2 years ago. All of them are still working.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    www.laruetactical.com

I bought 2 mounts from them for my ar.
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the ARMS mount and although you need to by their rings to use their mount, they detach quickly and automatically return to zero. These mounts are available with our without the pop-up rear sight,
    depending on your application.

[img][/img]SwanSleeve.jpg
    edited November -1
    Its a one inch tube, I found out today!