In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Now I want a supressor!

txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Dang! Being out here today has flung a cravin on me! I'm thinking a Glock 19 with a trident (not sure what make that can is) supressor! Time to start picking up tin cans and saving money!

Comments

• HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Silencers are fun.

I sell BR REFLEX, SAK and others here... =o) both for .17, .22 caliber... and centerfire from .222/.223 and up.

Biggest one I sold was for a singleshot .50BMG.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Being in Illinois, I can only wish.

..."Honest Sir, it's a homemade muffler for my weed-eater"...[:D]
  • DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the longest time, I thought they were 'the bees knee's'. I even talked the wife into letting me order one. Then I realized that I shoot at a public range, and I will still have to wear hearing protection.

Never got one, bought a double side by side instead.
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    After doing lots of research on detachable 9mm cans I went with a Trident. If you are looking for a good universal can this is the one. If you are looking at a can just for pistol only the Evo 9 seems to has the edge.

There are lots of other 9mm cans out there at different price points. You can find some cheeper ones but since you have to pay $200 and do the paperwork on top of the price of the can are you really saving any real money by going cheeper? There is NO resale value in cans due to the need to pay the transfer taxes so you have to take $200 off the price of your can for resale value right off the bat, plus any other fees.

Here is a pic of my G34 with a Lonewolf barrel and Trident:

DSC06810.jpg

I have not got to shoot this one yet, still waiting on the transfer.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBMJR1
    For the longest time, I thought they were 'the bees knee's'. I even talked the wife into letting me order one. Then I realized that I shoot at a public range, and I will still have to wear hearing protection.

Never got one, bought a double side by side instead.

They are that cool depending on what you buy. What gun/can/ammo combo did you hear? This can make all the difference in the world.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I have wanted to get one for along time now for either the 223 or 22lr. Now that i have a 10/22 charger pistol i'm thinking of getting one for that. That is when the economy turns around and i'm back to work full time.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hk-91
    I have wanted to get one for along time now for either the 223 or 22lr. Now that i have a 10/22 charger pistol i'm thinking of getting one for that. That is when the economy turns around and i'm back to work full time.

.22 can is one of the most impressive and obviously cheep to shoot. Anyone that owns suppressors should have at least 1 .22 can. I have been thinking about a second one.

The noise with a .223 can will vary greatly. I dont remember what can the guy was using but it was a OD mount on a 16" gun. We were shooting at a range under a roofed shooting area with open front and back. This set up was uncomfortably loud, ie wear ear plugs. I had really wanted a .223 can till I heard that one.

I had my 24" target AR threaded for my .30cal can when I got it. I have been very impressed with it. Even shooting standard ammo it is quiet enough to be shot without ear plugs.

Ammo choice makes a big difference in sound. For the quietest you need to shoot subsonic ammo. Again depending on the gun/can/ammo some supersonic rounds still sound quite good.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    I may have been misled by the ATF guy but I looked into paying the tax and building my own can. According to him it is legal I just cant sell it. My plan was to start with a spare thread cap to a walther p22. Just weld tube with "guts" to the cap. Would save a few hundred bucks..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legear
    I may have been misled by the ATF guy but I looked into paying the tax and building my own can. According to him it is legal I just cant sell it. My plan was to start with a spare thread cap to a walther p22. Just weld tube with "guts" to the cap. Would save a few hundred bucks..

Yes you can save by building your own. What you will get will be about like many of the cheeper cans on the market unless you have access to some serious metals and tools. For about $20 you can build an all steel tube can with steel washers for baffles that will be quiet effective. Down side will be the weight.

As I talked about before there are some good inexpensive cans out there. A few makers have 9mm cans for about $200. They weigh 20 oz and are of larger diameter which does not sound like a lot but is super heavy on the end of a pistol. The Trident weighs in at 7oz.

The high end 9mm cans are actually lighter then the cheep .22 cans based on the materials that they are made out of. This does not have to be a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

As far as being able to sell them I can not give you a direct answer. It comes down to taxes. If you sell a can or two that you are not using I think you will be ok. If you start kicking out cans for sale everyday then you will run into issues.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    This would be a great start for a D.I.Y. just add guts

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128435912
  • jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you get one i'll let you try it on my 9mm colt ar......we could have some fun with that around moms house putting a dent in the local vermin population.......
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeff, that would be cool. I'm burned like a freshly cooked crawdad! U?