In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swift Trans, going to far with Nanny truck

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
Safety is important but this latest move under the safety agenda is going too far! There is no way, no freaking way in hell I will ever work for this outfit! If they are hiring drivers that need this mayne they need to look at thier hiring practices! What a bunch of idiots!!

http://www.overdriveonline.com/swift-nations-third-largest-fleet-implementing-driver-facing-forward-facing-cameras-in-all-trucks/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_content=04-25-2015&utm_campaign=OVD&ust_id=28a0728580

Swift, the U.S.' third largest carrier (CCJ Top 250), will be outfitting its more than 6,000 company-owned trucks with Lytx DriveCam systems, which include forward-facing and driver-facing cameras that record and upload video clips before and after events like hard braking and swerving.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would find that highly offensive myself.

That said I don't know what the insurance costs for a Semi Truck are but I would think they are high and this is probably an effort to reduce those costs.

A better way to do it would be to make it voluntary and the drivers who elect to have this in their truck would make more money due to lower operating costs.
    RLTW

• Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so they have cameras, UPS has been using the tracking data to grade the drivers for umptynine years. not much different to me. the driver facing camera seems an invasion of privacy a little, but the forward looking dash cam is something that can help a driver out in case of an accident
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're just afraid the 'driver cam' would catch you pickin' yer nose![:)]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    ...and eating them.....(boogers)[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog

What about late at night when "I slip into something more comfortable"!

Forward cams, I have no problem with but driver facing cams???

Swift and some other companies are 99% student hires. Substandard training and in a lot of cases lack of training. If you can breathe and make a mark on a piece of paper you can drive for Swift. Thier hiring practices and the practices of many large carriers are putting substandard "drivers" on the roads. If they would make jobs appealing to experianced drivers and do away with some of the BS maybe they would attract a better class of drivers.

These companies put profit ahead of safety by hiring these substandard drivers and now they are going crazy trying to figure out why thier trucks are involved in so many "accidents".

Sad part is many of these companies belong to the ATA (American Trucking Association) and the ATA DOES NOT REPRESENT DRIVERS but represents thier companies and they are repsonsible for a lot of the BS we deal with. The ATA will study this then push for other ATA members to implement it. From there they go to the FMCSA and push for rules. The ATA brought us ELOGS and are pushing for more restrictions. Drown out the little guy so these big companies get even bigger.

Did you know the ATA is pushing for mandatory speed limiters on trucks? That's a good thing you say! BUT with that they are lobbying for a national speed limit FOR EVERYONE. The ATA wants to see 65MPH nationwide for all traffic. Why? They have many excuses but they know split speeds are unsafe so to protect thier companies best interests and profits they want all vehicles at the same speed as thier trucks.

Now, are you starting to see why I hate these big companies so much? There is a ton f behind the scenes BS going on that will have an effect on EVERYONE in the name o big money for carriers like Swift.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here ya go,

http://www.livetrucking.com/the-ata-wants-to-put-speed-limiters-on-all-big-trucks/

In addition to just limiting trucks, the ATA believes that a nationwide limit of 65 miles per hour should be imposed on all vehicles. "That's why we back a national speed limit for all vehicles of 65 mph and are disturbed by the recent trend of states raising their speed limits to 70, 75, 80 or in some areas even 85 miles per hour" Graves added. "These limits are reckless and are needlessly endangering millions of motorists."
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cameras only record when abrupt actions occur, correct?
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Yeah if you think so and remember it's all for Public safety! After all big brother is always watching so he can help you![:D] If the web site below is true then you just a number in the matrix now![:D]

serf

http://anewdomain.net/2015/04/01/nsa-bombshell-us-is-selling-americans-data-to-iran-and-russia-exclusive/

NSA Bombshell: US Is Selling Americans' Personal Data to Iran, Russia

Obama administration officials speaking under condition of anonymity confirmed the basic details of this account, but deny that they did anything wrong. "First and foremost, we ran this past the lawyers. There's a reason that they call people who live in the United States `Americans.' That's because they live in America. Anything that is in America belongs to America. In other words, people are just like dogs, cats, wild turkeys, worms, what have you - that's the government's property. That's pretty much been the case ever since the Emancipation Proclamation."
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I remember watching Ice Road Truckers a few years back where the company had a zero tolerance policy for accidents. In this case a driver slid off the road due to ice and was let go. I imagine such policies make for a revolving door of workers.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dakotashooter2
    I remember watching Ice Road Truckers a few years back where the company had a zero tolerance policy for accidents. In this case a driver slid off the road due to ice and was let go. I imagine such policies make for a revolving door of workers which is rarely a benefit to any company.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,029 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

Yeah if you think so and remember it's all for Public safety! After all big brother is always watching so he can help you![:D] If the web site below is true then you just a number in the matrix now![:D]

serf

http://anewdomain.net/2015/04/01/nsa-bombshell-us-is-selling-americans-data-to-iran-and-russia-exclusive/

Obama administration officials speaking under condition of anonymity confirmed the basic details of this account, but deny that they did anything wrong. "First and foremost, we ran this past the lawyers. There's a reason that they call people who live in the United States `Americans.' That's because they live in America. Anything that is in America belongs to America. In other words, people are just like dogs, cats, wild turkeys, worms, what have you - that's the government's property. That's pretty much been the case ever since the Emancipation Proclamation."
    Could/Would any trucking company be able to afford to store all the data from nonstop recording in their trucks?
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by serf

serf

Could/Would any trucking company be able to afford to store all the data from nonstop recording in their trucks?

Generally the device records in a loop and every X hours the data is overwritten. In the event that there is an accident (or swerving / sudden deceleration etc) the last x minutes of the data are transmitted and the device switches to "preservation mode"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Capt, the Palmer/Wiltrans/Prime truck I drove had a forward facing camera along with all the other garbage. The triggers for that camera are not just what we would consider hard braking or swerving. The lane detector that also triggers the camera on a windy day will go nuts, high winds that rock the vehicle will set off the swerve/roll over alerts. Hard braking, unless you are driving half the speed of traffic during something like rush hour traffic it will go off, anything other than planned subtle braking will trigger it. Add in the On-Guard system and it gets worse. It is hard to explain to someone who doesnt even know what the interior of a truck looks like let alone even have driven one how all this electronic garbage works. Driving one of these can be stressful enough with out all the electronics and cameras going off. Trust me when I say these big companies are going too far amd if you look closely at companies like Swift and Prime who are members of the ATA you will see every one of them has Driver Training programs amd companies like Swift and Prime hire 95% inexperianced drivers and the company gets government monies to train them. The training is substandard amd not near what it should be. My son went through Werners training program and the stories he told me scare me to death. His trainer had less than a year driving experiance and this fool was trusted by Werner to take a student fresh out o a three week truck drivin school!! cow cookies!!!!
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm just gonna say... Black Electrical Tape. [;)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And now you know how airline pilots feel.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    And now you know how airline pilots feel.....

Apples and oranges.
  • Options
    wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where's the fuse block or will that disable the truck?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wiz1997
    Where's the fuse block or will that disable the truck?

When I did that short tour with Palmer/Wiltrans/Prime I found out that disabling, covering or tampering with "safety" equipment was a quick way to be shown the door.
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Friend of mine works at the local gas co. and their trucks have these. If there is heavy braking or an impact the thirty seconds prior and after are sent automatically to the main office.
    One of the guy on his crew came up with the idea to hit the bumper with something and have someone sitting in the cab tell a joke to the camera.[}:)] They did this dozens of time one day before they got a call from their boss to knock it off.[;)]