In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Saigon captured 40 years ago

oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
40 years? Has it really been that long?
Anyway, kudos to all you guys who fought the good fight. You didn't "lose" the war. The politicians surrendered. Let that be a lesson to any potential US "ally".

Comments

• Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sure doesn't seem that long. Mixed feelings. Glad we got out of there, but unhappy about how many sacrifices were made just to have it all thrown away by politicians.
    But, that happened a lot. You'd lose lots of people taking some village or hill and then, before the smoke had even cleared, you got pulled out and you just KNEW that within minutes, the other guys moved back in. It wasn't like WWII where you took a hill or town and then occupied it and everyone moved up to the new frontline and you kept doing it until the frontline reached Berlin.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oldbuck keep up the good post as I see you have 42 in 12 years. Some members do that many in one day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks jltrent. I seldom have much to say. I let my wife do all the talking [;)]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldbuckaroo
    Thanks jltrent. I seldom have much to say. I let my wife do all the talking [;)]

[:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Saigon story and Vietnam et nausea um continues...

Like Korea, the shame of endless fruitless war goes on and on.

When will the politicians[?] ever learn?
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I got out of the hospital and out of the Army 46 years ago, come November 12th. We where still pretty well kicking their *'s when I left country. I guess when Laredo Lefty and I came home, the war just went to hell.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know what you mean CapnMidnight. We were winning when I was there too (US Army 1968-71). Hope you've never had to deal with any prolonged after-effects from AO or injuries. I was blessed to make it back in one piece. A whole lot of life has transpired in the past 40+ years. I can only wish that our 58000 brothers could have been been here to live it with us.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God bless all of you guys that went to Vietnam and served our country. God bless all that did not come home.[:(] I was just a kid while Vietnam was being fought and remember watching TV with my mom in hopes of catching a glimpse of my father and Uncle. I hope you guys all find peace. Thank you again, John
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...if you could see passed the Barbed wire and concrete revetments....Saigon was a beautiful city..."The Pearl of the Orient"....Loved Vung Tau....as beautiful place as any Florida beach...!VD was 98%....!The French still run the power plants... French influence still there...The Eurasian women were absolutely breath taking....that's all I got...[;)]
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ultimate irony is that Vietnam lost the war by winning. In the 80's they realized communism is for chumps and started sucking up to the USA.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ...if you could see passed the Barbed wire and concrete revetments....Saigon was a beautiful city..."The Pearl of the Orient"....Loved Vung Tau....as beautiful place as any Florida beach...!VD was 98%....!The French still run the power plants... French influence still there...The Eurasian women were absolutely breath taking....that's all I got...[;)]

Don't sound too fun to me...
    I guess U had to TRIPLE WRAP the Johnson,in case 2 broke?[xx(][xx(]
    NODANKS!!
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i didn,t give a rats mule about vietnam then and i still don,t. time does seem to dull the pain and there was plenty to go around. i lost many friends who got a different ride home then i did and i just have not been able to get over it. my father never talked much about WW11, other than it needed to be fought, i could not say the same thing to him. my mother never got used to us drinking a few beers on the back porch and not talking at all. eastbank.