In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I found my crack, I found my crack!!!!!!!!

walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
edited September 2011 in General Discussion
Thank U, from my Russian friend

crack-fin--01.gif

Comments

• Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, that is COOOOOOOOL!!!!
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    I going to dig some more today
    I've been digging that hole for 2 months
    I have to take long breaks because my hands swell up and my back muscles are not used to this type of work
    I don't want anything to interfere with my night life, like toooooonite
    In my younger days I would of dug that hole in an half hr.

Now, I'm going to clean up the hole and the wall
    Clean the wall real good and chase that crack with my special hand grinding wheel
    Then I'm going to use Drylock crack filler
    Then 3 coats of Drylock masonry waterproof sealer
    Then after 3 days I'm going to coat the whole wall with some kind of heavy tar ? Any suggestions ?

So, I'm ~(.)-(.)~ ing at 1 more month and this job will be history

Dancing tonight YAAAHOOOOOOOOOO[:p]
    death-dance.gif
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    Watched a neighbor do his, he used roofing glue (fast hard drying bitumen) and black plastic foil and did his whole outside cellar walls. He said the only thing you have to watch is that the foil is bacteria resistant and not the bio degradable kind. I think he got the foil at a place that installs fish ponds and is the barrier between the earth and the softer pond liner.

I washed mine with a pressure washer, made an open ended tent with plastic sheeting sloping away from the wall, let it dry for a couple of days, and then ran my propane space heater into one end of the tent over night. Wire brushed and vacuumed the wall. I opened the crack up a bit, taped over the crack and filled it from the top with a two part resin designed for concrete cracks. The resin flows like water, but gets thicker as it cooks off. Then coated it with the leftover bitumen roofing glue from the neighbor.

Me and my son are talking about digging up the entire cellar wall in sections and doing like the neighbor did. Nice to have a young back around.[:D]
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black Jack Rubr Coat #57
  • Options
    MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad that you are happy. [;)] [:D]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might take a look at the low pressure injection systems in either epoxy or polyurethane foam if you are trying to seal a basement crack against leaking. The difference is one is used for crack structural reinforcement and the other is for crack sealing. One source for diy kits is Emecole, but there are many others.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    which crack is it?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallie
    I have to take long breaks because my hands swell up and my back muscles are not used to this type of work

Clean the wall real good and chase that crack with my special hand grinding wheel
    Then after 3 days I'm going to coat the whole wall with some kind of heavy tar ? Any suggestions ?

death-dance.gif

http://www.toptvstuff.com/flex-seal/
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wallie

death-dance.gif

Ashphalt emulsion. You can get it at Home Depot, Lowes and sometimes Tractor Supply. Fins it in the roof material aisle, made by Henry Company, or Gardner-Gibson/APOC. It has Bentonite Clay in it and does very well below grade. It is water-based so make sure it turns from brown to black before you backfill.
  • Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau
    Black Jack Rubr Coat #57

This is made by Gardner-Gibson/APOC, who used to make our emulsion. Good product but may not have it in box box store.
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SURFACE PREPARATION IS EVERYTHING

I suggest that you use a pressure washer to clean the wall and an air compressor to blast the water off the wall after you clean it. Make sure you clean a very large area...way beyond what appears to tbe the actual crack or damaged area. You should apply sealant to that whole area.

Better yet, do some Internet research on this subject, along the lines of, "sealing basement walls" or variations on that.

Then, go to Harbor Freight Tools or some other place and get a heat gun (looks like a hair dryer and turn it on full tilt and dry the crack and the surrounding area. Then get a spray bottle and shoot 90% alcohol or acetone on the wall and in the crack. Blow air in again to evaporate the alcohol or acetone, then heat it up again. While it is hot, apply a good roofing or cellar sealant to the crack and surrounding wall. I use a roofing sealant called Henry's, but they make special stuff for cellar walls. Henry's is like a fluffy tar but dries to a flexible hardness. After that, get some fiberglas window screen and dip it in the Henry's and apply that over the whole area, using a big paint brush to spread it out and apply more Henry's compound. Whatever product you use, be sure to apply it over a very wide area....waaay beyond what appears to be the actual crack in the wall.