In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question on Infield Rifle

wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in General Discussion
I have a friend that has one that is marked, Mark 5 model 1, and it is not a Jungle Carbine. It's full sized.

Is it something special, or is it some kind of hack job?
There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are so many versions of Enfields it will make your head spin..[B)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    There are so many versions of Enfields it will make your head spin..[B)]

That's true, but I can't find a single one made in full length.

Does he have a million dollar gun or some kind of hack job?
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any chance it's a No. 1 Mk V?

DSC01274%20_Medium_.JPG

From https://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=181-1924-ShtLE-No.1-MkV-Rifle

"The success of the SMLE throughout the Great War effectively shelved British plans to adopt the Pattern 1913 and Pattern 1914 series rifles with Mauser-like receivers. The Pattern 1914's use in the later half of the First World War, however, had shown the merits of a rear mounted aperture sight on a turn-bolt battle rifle. Rapid sight acquisition and improved accuracy due to a longer sight radius did not go unnoticed in the field.

The years immediately following cessation of hostilities saw a great downsizing in the stores of military materiel from the arsenals of the larger belligerents while the poorer nations of the world took advantage of this opportunity to bolster their war reserves. Despite the vast decrease in emphasis on small arms stockpiles in the United Kingdom, work nevertheless continued unabated at RSAF Enfield on research and development while the King's engineers looked to apply the lessons learned from the conflict in forthcoming arms development.

The Enfield action, being well liked by the Commonwealth troops and having proven itself as arguably the best battle rifle of the war, was retained as a basis for new design innovations. One of those proposed changes would become the centerpiece of a new rifle, the Sht.LE MkV, or No.1MkV Lee Enfield. Approved in 1922, the new rifle was essentially a No.1MkIII* Short Magazine Lee Enfield with a newly designed rear sight mounted behind the charger bridge, a longer one-piece hand-guard which completely encased the barrel and omitted the opening for the older tangent sight, and an additional stock band to better stabilize this newly designed woodwork.

The design held enough promise that production of 20,000 rifles was ordered for immediate field trials. Despite the obvious improvements, wide-scale production was not undertaken, and all production work was halted sometime in 1924. The commonwealth already had vast stores of No.1MkIII* rifles left over from the war and adoption of a new rifle would have been a heavy financial burden for a country already suffering from its war debt. Additionally, preliminary work was likely already beginning on what would eventually become the MkVI trials rifle and would evolve into the No.4 series Lee Enfield.

The MkV rifles already produced were issued throughout the 1920's, possibly the 1930's and were issued once again after the disaster at Dunkirk in WW2 created a pressing need for serviceable arms. Figures do not exist today, but it is plausible to assume a significant number of these rifles would have been lost to service wear and action in the second world war, making the MkV one of the rarest Lee Enfields to be mass produced which a collector is likely to encounter."
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No. Its Marked, "Mark 5 number 1".
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No such animal, and if it is marked like that, my bet is a Khyber Pass Rifle. Check where it says "Enfield", the most common tell tale is the "N" is backwards.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Khyber Pass, AKA Hindu Kush. NOT SAFE TO FIRE.

Neal
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a rifle designed to be shot only from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base the Infield rifle has a notoriously short range. If you had a Enfield or even an Outfield Rifle it would be something!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Lot more folks than I had expected have heard of an Infield Rifle.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    You have a rifle designed to be shot only from 1st, 2nd, or 3rd base the Infield rifle has a notoriously short range. If you had a Enfield or even an Outfield Rifle it would be something!

Oops! Im am a Kollege stoodant!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I called up my buddy and asked him what way the N was facing on his Enfield. He looked and told me that it wasn't marked Enfield anywhere on the Rifle. Just, "US Property".

I looked at my Long Branch one and it's not marked Enfield either!

Could the US have made a full length Mark 5?
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    cant figure out how to put the link here but you might have a Golden State Arms converted savage no4mk1 they imported them and turned them into sporting and hunting rifles. The real deal will have RIFLE NO 5 MK1 electro penciled on rcvr
  • Options
    jetmekjetmek Member Posts: 250
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jetmek
    cant figure out how to put the link here but you might have a Golden State Arms converted savage no4mk1 they imported them and turned them into sporting and hunting rifles. The real deal will have RIFLE NO 5 MK1 electro penciled on rcvr US property is correct for a savage built no4mk1 they never made a No5
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    I rifled one from shortstop to first once in a softball game and got him out
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sawz
    I rifled one from shortstop to first once in a softball game and got him out

Now yuz gots to red de ho tred! I all ready pleaded guilty![;)]

On the other hand, What is this Enfield?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jetmek
    cant figure out how to put the link here but you might have a Golden State Arms converted savage no4mk1 they imported them and turned them into sporting and hunting rifles. The real deal will have RIFLE NO 5 MK1 electro penciled on rcvr

This one hasn't been chopped up!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wiplash, can you post a pic of the markings?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55
    wiplash, can you post a pic of the markings?

I'll see what I can do.