In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NC SWAT officer killed when stun grenade detonates

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
A prime example why so many accidents are happening with LEOs against civilians. No common sense and piss poor training.

I feel for the family but if he was securing a stun grenade and set it off he deserves what he got. The gene pool just got a little cleaner.

Taking grenades home, is that standard procedure? Luckily he didn't harm any of his family members.

I carried grenades for 13 months in VN and never accidentally set one off. The only way it will go off is if you pull the pin and release the spoon. Someone should have told him this.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2011

NC SWAT officer killed when stun grenade detonates

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Police in North Carolina say a SWAT officer was securing a stun grenade known as a "flash-bang" at his home when it exploded, killing him.

Charlotte Police Chief Rodney Monroe says 50-year-old Fred Thornton suffered massive internal injuries when the grenade detonated Friday. Police say a preliminary investigation showed Thornton had been working to make sure his equipment was safe. He underwent surgery at a hospital and later died.

Monroe says the 28-year veteran had been on assignment serving a search warrant Friday afternoon. After that, Thornton drove his SWAT vehicle to his home, where the stun grenade went off.

Officials say the device is issued to all SWAT officers and is used to startle suspects during raids.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think there may be more to this story. Flash bangs are regulated as explosives by the ATF, I HIGHLY doubt that they "routinely" take them home...

either way...RIP

I keep our flash bangs locked in a safe and we have to account for everyone and report to the ATF when we use one because they track them.
  • Options
    coltpaxcoltpax Member Posts: 8,114
    edited November -1
    I seen that on tv
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    if that deadly why throw them at us??????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    if that deadly why throw them at us??????

They don't mind throwing them in rooms with children in them.[:0]
  • Options
    partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Just because they wear a badge that doen't make them any smarter than a guy without the badge! Maybe a little cockier, but not smarter! JMO.
  • Options
    GotteskriegerGotteskrieger Member Posts: 3,170 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where can I get some flash bangs?
  • Options
    Gav-n-TnGav-n-Tn Member Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kind of bizarre that they're able to take those home with them. What is there to check about them? I'm not a pro on flash/bang grenades but it would seem like they're either good or used. Odd.
  • Options
    mt3777mt3777 Member Posts: 73
    edited November -1
    Uff-Da!

Learned to respect them as a GI! Maybe it was a setup?

RIP DUMMY!
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel bad for the cop and his family, but my guess is that he got complacent and careless and it cost him dearly. Police officers have access to way too many military type weapons, they are not military, they are PEACE OFFICERS.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't happen, everyone knows these are non-lethal devices. That's why it's safe to throw them in a house with kids in them.

I do feel sory for him and his family. I assume he made a mistake and the device wasn't defective, until more info is available.
  • Options
    airmungairmung Member Posts: 579 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think many consider themselves to be "peace officers" these days. Most are SWAT wannabes who want to throw flash-bangs around.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:Where can I get some flash bangs?

steal them from the cops!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine

U can't get any from the cops. They set them off at home for entertainment.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 of a thousand ways to die: FLASH BANGED
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwb267
    1 of a thousand ways to die: FLASH BANGED

I would rather just be banged to death myself.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:I would rather just be banged to death myself.

Quick! Someone grab a hammer!

quote: Where can I get some flash bangs?

One kid here found one while cleaning up a vacant rent house. No kidding. Must have been left behind after a raid.

Anyhow, the kid, about 20 years old, was playing with the darn thing while sitting in the driver's seat of his truck, and it went off in his lap.

The truck interior was pretty badly damaged, and the young man had second degree burns from knees to chest. At the hospital, he asked me to please check and see if the "boys" were all right. I did, and they were, and he was relieved.

That boy was hurting bad, but he wasn't anywhere close to killed.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey wait a minute. you gun guys want less regulations.....

well, there you go. flash bangs treated like road flares....boom.

guess regulations are good afterall, since they were designed to protect idiots. dont you old guys remember when car idiot lights came out? now as a result, a whole generation DEPENDS on systems to think for them. was a time a man could listen to his car and tell what was wrong with it. same with simple dangers. and as more and more men dont serve in the military, they dont know what grenades can do.

flash bang didnt have a warning light telling idiot its dangerous, thus hes dead. sorry to hear it. rip. his troubles are over. ours are just beginning.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    if the garnade was not defective, he had to pull the pin and let go of the thing,we had all our cotter pins bent over and you realy had to pull very hard to get the pin out,some even had to be bent back strait to pull the pin.i,m glad he was alone when it happened(i,m not glad he is dead), eastbank.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Anything different* between the 'flashbang' y'all are talking about, and the military concussion grenades I remember in Vietnam? Thanks, if anyone knows. Joe

*Mil conc. grenades were filled with M112-same stuff as frag grenades
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember the cop that used a flashbang to play a prank and blew his buddy's leg off?
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never seen or used a flash-bang grenade but do they not have a fuse which ignites after the spoon is released? How many seconds delay until it explodes? WTH?

OleDuk[?][?]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On one of the cop shows, a flash-bang went off in Mr. Wiseguy cop's cargopant pocket. He walked away burned and embarassed and probably said "huh, what'd you say" for several days.
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    I don't think one mistake in 28 years makes him a dummy. Complacent, yes. Dummy, no. It's a shame for him and his family. My prayers are with them and his co-workers.
  • Options
    militaria1918militaria1918 Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe he had a something other then a flash bang or he held it up to his temple?

Not only do they throw them into houses with kids but Church's too.

As for cops with hot toys there is a reason glock calls their triggers for New York Issue the "New york Trigger"
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by militaria1918
    Maybe he had a something other then a flash bang or he help it up to his temple?I'm hearing he suffered an injury to his hand. Possibly bled out.

The general design is an explosive portion not much bigger than your finger that's threaded to accept a standard hand grenade style pin/spoon igniter which has a very short delay.

This assembly is then screwed into a heavy metal casing with vent holes on either end to allow pressure to escape.

This metal casing is reusable. After it's been expended you just screw a fresh igniter/explosive assembly into the casing.

This thing had to have vented in extremely close proximity to his hand to cause such an injury.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    we used them during our war games, the wet teams
    would throw them out to simulate air field attacks.
    one team member threw one against a building.
    when it went off, shattered windows.
    he lost his job on the spot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 46270
    we used them during our war games, the wet teams
    would throw them out to simulate air field attacks.
    one team member threw one against a building.
    when it went off, shattered windows.
    he lost his job on the spot.You're talking about artillery or grenade simulators.

They're a noise and flash generator, but a different animal than a stun grenade/distraction device.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder if this was a suicide.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anyone who's been a cop as long as this guy has seen the horrible suffering that comes from a botched suicide attempt.

You can bet this guy had access to much more reliable methods of offing himself than a stun grenade.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine

Why steal them?. You can just buy them from the crooked cops! BWA HA HA
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqpnakbFqAM