In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm Rifle ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in General Discussion
I have a kel-tec sub 2000 in 9mm that shoots glock mags. I have a bunch of 31 round mags.

I was thinking of adding a AR in 9mm. The AR would be made just for 9mm. Are they reliable?

If not what would be another good 9mm rifle. I have a lot of 9mm ammo plus it is cheaper than other pistol calibers.

I already have ARs and AKs. However i do not have a 300 blackout but i have plans for one.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt or stag arms are very nice.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Not sure the 9mm style of AR takes Glock Mags.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a ?new? USPSA class called ?PCC? -Pistol Caliber Carbine.

Basically any AR or similar carbine in a pistol caliber. And theyre running optics. These guys are fast!

This is my first year running an open/optics pistol so I havent built one yet but its high on my list!

A PCC can make a hero out of an average shooter!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTAtBlBB0Mw
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Not sure the 9mm style of AR takes Glock Mags.

Depends on what you buy...my AR-9 from PSA takes Glock mags, as does the FX-9. I wouldn't buy one if it didn't use Glock mags. It is a total blast too shoot...I LOVE IT!! I'm gonna have to buy alot more 9mm ammo. Mine is obviously a pistol,. but they have carbine and rifle length aswell. I also own a Sub 2K...and this is more fun to shoot. I added a Geissele SD3G trigger and it rips!!

HsT7qgI.jpg
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm that is back at the factory getting a new barrel. Mine also uses Glock mags. Appearently there were many of these made with barrels that were not properly hardened. I had already fired about 100rds before I learned of the recall. You can go to their website to check if your gun needs a new barrel.

Yesterday I picked up a new Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. It came set up to use Ruger mags but also comes with a changeable mag well to use Glock mags, a good selling point.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    I have a Kel-tec sub 2000 9mm that is back at the factory getting a new barrel. Mine also uses Glock mags. Appearently there were many of these made with barrels that were not properly hardened. I had already fired about 100rds before I learned of the recall. You can go to their website to check if your gun needs a new barrel.

Yesterday I picked up a new Ruger PC carbine in 9mm. It came set up to use Ruger mags but also comes with a changeable mag well to use Glock mags, a good selling point.

I wish Ruger had come out with those a year earlier! I would have gotten that instead of the Kel-Tec.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The high point carbine in 9mm has been somewhat updated and features a new stock design - these guns are a bit heavy and clunky and not as cutting edge ergonomically or appealing physically...

But they are damn near bullet proof as far as reliability and functionality are concerned.

They eat any ammo without complaint - and are pretty easy to care for and maintain.

Good range day gun especially for kids or women or novice shooters

IMHO a valid alternative worth a second look

Mike
  • Options
    hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a CMMG in 45acp and a 9mm they have a rotating bolt that reduces recoil quite a bit,I added a SB Tactical PDW brace to each.They come in different barrel lengths and options and just a hoot to shoot.Angstat Arms is another good one the PSA like Shilowars are still on sale and a lot of fun to.

The Ruger 9mm carbine is alittle heavier but is very nice and at a good price and it only takes five minutes to install the glock mag adapter.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My PSA Lower, Glock magazine AR9 is the most fun you can have with all of your clothes on. I can still nail a plate at 200 yards with it using cast bullets (cheap) and tite group powder (cheap).
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you want the G9 Carbine from Lone Wolf.
  • Options
    84Bravo184Bravo1 Member Posts: 11,109
    edited November -1
    Marlin Camp 9 fan here.

Blackjack buffer, Wolff springs 16# recoil spring, Bushnell MP Trophy red/green T-dot, barrel mounted high intensity light, 31-33 round (?) Magazines.

One of my favorite rifle/Carbines.

Would like a Marlin Camp .45, but they have gone nuts.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    my marlin camp 9 and old sub 2000 take the same mags. only reason I'd buy a AR-9 would be if I wanted to use a suppressor.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    PSA complete lower w/ stock replaced to A2, Spinta bolt, 16" NFA barrel, no-fa no dust cover upper, tube handguards from ebay, TRS-25 dot sight. Just at $500, fun as can be

Will feed reliably from Gen 1 or 2 Glock mags but they do not get removed for reloading easily or drop-free. Extremely reliable (no issues ever, other than keeping 'em full) with Gen4 Glock 33rnd 9mm mags.

Almost exclusively using Fed 115gr 9mm brass case ball ammo from Wally or similar stuff PSA was dumping out the door last year.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wanted one of those spanish Destroyer Carbines in 9mm Largo.
    RLTW

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iver Johnson M1 Carbine in 9mm Parabellum. Standard is a 20 rd mag, but will also use mags from the Browning Hi Power.
  • Options
    jthoresenjthoresen Member Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt AR6951 & Marlin Camp 9

To your question on reliably (9m AR); yes it is very reliable. The Colt 9mm is a straight blowback gun, unlike the 5.56, so one would think this should somehow reduce the cost, but it actually is at times a few more dollars than the LE6920
  • Options
    pingjockeypingjockey Member Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a JustRight in 45 with a 9mm conversion kit. Glock mags and
    I believe it is convertible to another caliber or two as well. Takes aftermarket AR gear as well, trigger groups etc.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you're interested in retro anti-tacticool stuff, check this out

http://www.firearmsnews.com/reviews/review-wilkinson-arms-9mm-linda-carbine/

image.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I always wanted one of those spanish Destroyer Carbines in 9mm Largo.

I have a Spanish destroyer bolt action carbine - a special limited production officers presentation model chambered in 9mm Luger

Less then 1000 ever made it features a high grade commercial blue finish and select beech stock and is in NRA excellent condition (95%+) with the original leather sling and magazine - all numbers matching

I had always been a fan of the destroyer and jumped at the chance to purchase it back in my gunshop days

I had not realized that there were variations and special editions or limited production examples including a .38 super chambered model

I remember seeing them advertised for sale in the back of what seemed like every gun related magazine in the 70's and 80's

Most examples sadly were is rough shape and did not have matching parts as they had been neglected abused or stored improperly

In the last 12 months two examples of my variant sold at auction here on GB in the $1000 - $1200 range and even rough standard model largo carbines demand a premium and get snapped up

It's a great range day gun - will put 20 rounds in a 12" circle at 100 yes (hard work and skill and the right ammo can reduce that in half if you have the right combination)

Eats and feeds everything - zero recoil - not very loud - lightweight and handy - a mini Spanish Mauser

It's one of my favorite guns

Mike
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    The high point carbine in 9mm has been somewhat updated and features a new stock design - these guns are a bit heavy and clunky and not as cutting edge ergonomically or appealing physically...

But they are damn near bullet proof as far as reliability and functionality are concerned.

They eat any ammo without complaint - and are pretty easy to care for and maintain.

Mike

The only problem I have found is I haven't figured out anyway to take it apart. I did add the neat little device that holds two extra magazines attached to the stock & now I had to add that $%@*(^@ paddle they require here in the DPRK.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075

Mike

The only problem I have found is I haven't figured out anyway to take it apart. I did add the neat little device that holds two extra magazines attached to the stock & now I had to add that $%@*(^@ paddle they require here in the DPRK.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Grunted,

You would think that Boyd's or other stock makers would offer a variety of drop in replacement stocks in different configurations - perhaps even real wood or laminate...

And oddly I don't think I have ever seen one with a scope on it.

I bet that if the changed it so it excepted glock magazines sales would triple...

Mike
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've noticed that dav will post a topic/question and then never come back around and comment...LOL...I wonder if he actually reads the responses, advice or suggestions! [:p]