In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sleep Number Mattress questions

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in General Discussion
Recently I asked our members about mattress information, and the Sleep Number bed seemed really popular for good reasons, so I am back with some questions about it. I would appreciate any comments tat have to do with The Temperature Balancing Sleep Surface, and The Dual Temp Topper.
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have seen it, but do not have it because i am very skeptical of the claims, i have yet seen how it cools, via fan like car seats or what

we have their "cooling" gel topper, while it makes it much more comfortable it is far from cooling, in part because i sleep deeper than ever and do not toss and turn normally and body heat is reflected and builds up till you do move

btw i still have a 10% off code if you need it, you save 10% and i get a store credit
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent mine back after 30 days. The issue for me was not the mattress as much as laying flat. I sleep a LOT better with the head of the bed raised up quite a bit. I turn from side to side and now snore a lot less. Lying flat is not good for me.

My current mattress, PERFECT CLOUD from Amazon.com is AWESOME comfortable. I sleep very hot and this mattress never gets me overheated.

Your Mileage May Vary.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I sent mine back after 30 days. The issue for me was not the mattress as much as laying flat. I sleep a LOT better with the head of the bed raised up quite a bit. I turn from side to side and now snore a lot less. Lying flat is not good for me.

My current mattress, PERFECT CLOUD from Amazon.com is AWESOME comfortable. I sleep very hot and this mattress never gets me overheated.

Your Mileage May Vary.

why didnt you get the bed that raises, they have several options
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    i have seen it, but do not have it because i am very skeptical of the claims, i have yet seen how it cools, via fan like car seats or what

we have their "cooling" gel topper, while it makes it much more comfortable it is far from cooling, in part because i sleep deeper than ever and do not toss and turn normally and body heat is reflected and builds up till you do move

btw i still have a 10% off code if you need it, you save 10% and i get a store credit

Thank you, Dan. I might end up accepting your great offer.

Which one have you seen...Dual Temp Topper or The Temperature Balancing Sleep Surface?

Question: Is the cooling gel topper the same as the dual temp?: https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Bedding/Mattress-PadsToppers/p/dualTemp
    What's next?
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our topper was said to have some cooling feature, but I can't remember which one. We've had this Sleep Number bed for a few years now. It is definitely cooler than the first SN bed/topper we had, but neither was what I'd call "hot sleeping" like a foam mattress.

I still sometimes get hot at night (so does my wife) but it isn't from below. It's either too many blankets or just hot flashes.

BTW, we're both side sleepers, and both use a 45 sleep number. I sometimes go as low as 35 or up to 50 for a night or two just for a bit of variety. Temporarily changing the firmness slightly improves sleep a lot.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Our topper was said to have some cooling feature, but I can't remember which one. We've had this Sleep Number bed for a few years now. It is definitely cooler than the first SN bed/topper we had, but neither was what I'd call "hot sleeping" like a foam mattress.

I still sometimes get hot at night (so does my wife) but it isn't from below. It's either too many blankets or just hot flashes.

BTW, we're both side sleepers, and both use a 45 sleep number. I sometimes go as low as 35 or up to 50 for a night or two just for a bit of variety. Temporarily changing the firmness slightly improves sleep a lot.

Thank you, Rocky! All good news.
    What's next?
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My "corn shuck" mattress works real good after two glasses of "Crown"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

The Oklahoma Mattress Company makes the innerspring mattress with box springs. Made with several layers of cotton. I could get these items and would still be under a grand after shipping. I do not like mattress shopping!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Question: Is the cooling gel topper the same as the dual temp?: https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Bedding/Mattress-PadsToppers/p/dualTemp

no not at all, we have this one, works as stated above

https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Bedding/Mattress-PadsToppers/p/layer-CF

biggest complaint we have as many others do is it's a couple inches shorter in each direction than the damn bed

before our sn bed the wife just had to have one of those foam toppers , it was around 8" thick {400.00} and it was comfortable for the first 20 minutes, then i sank so far into it, the heat would build up and you wake up in a pool of sweat, the sn cooling gel is not nearly that thick, and much more comfortable and cooler

we both are at #45 too
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fyi if you go into a store and try them out, dont think your walking out with one, they are made to order and ether shipped to you or delivered and set up, which is silly to pay for because they are very easy to set up
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila has the biggest sleep number bed that they offer in the master bedroom...

She likes a super soft sink in deep immobilizer mattress

I like a hard - firm - bounce a quarter off it mattress

I think it's a California King equivalent

Adjusting the settings is pretty easy - setting up the bed was pretty easy when it was delivered

She bought the bed primarily so we could sleep comfortably together as with the old mattress I would sneak out into the living room and sleep on the couch most nights...

She prefers that I stay in the bed - she is a snuggler and likes to have me next to her overnight most nights

Odd picture - late at night with the TV on in the background we both have books and phones or tablets and headphones or blue tooth ear buds

The bed is pretty damn big

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    once you go king you cant go back, wife tried that when we got our sn bed, so i obliged and got on one, it quickly reminded her we are not as small as we once where, to turn over on a queen is more like a freakin rotisserie chicken

Full: 54" x 74"
    Queen: 60" x 80"
    King: 76" x 80"
    California King: 72" x 84"

comiefornia king just steals 4" from one side and adds it to the other
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea,...I've used a king size for years. Virtually can't sleep on anything smaller.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya'll are right about the king size beds. We still might go with one, but as small as my wife is, we might get the queen size.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Ya'll are right about the king size beds. We still might go with one, but as small as my wife is, we might get the queen size.

James,...if you get a king size, you can fit two or three women in there with you.[;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

James,...if you get a king size, you can fit two or three women in there with you.[;)]

[:D]. I refuse to be baited!!!! [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makaila clams to be 5' 2" tall on her drivers license but it's a lie...

Petite girl in a big bed is a fact for me.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Barzillia
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie

The Oklahoma Mattress Company makes the innerspring mattress with box springs. Made with several layers of cotton. I could get these items and would still be under a grand after shipping. I do not like mattress shopping!

I have used the Oklahoma Mattress Company for many decades, now.

No doubt a first rate product, simplicity in itsself.

I use their firmest mattress, and at first it does really seem to be like a board.

They will even re-build their mattress re-using the same springs, if you desire.

That's what the wife and I will go with then, Barzillia. Thanks for the comments as they were very beneficial to us both and confirmed what little research I have done in terms of reviews. We can always buy a soft cotton topper if the mattress is too firm for us.
    What's next?
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me and the Mrs had a water bed for 30 of our 35 years of marriage. Still kinda miss it.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought their duel temp topper, worked ok but not as good as I needed, so I sold it and bought this. this works better and is a lot cheaper, you can get it down to a true 55 degrees and keeps it there. That is where I like it.. Plus it will keep the other side as hot as 110 degrees and keeps it there at the same time, incase you have a wife or guest sleeping with you
    https://www.chilitechnology.com/products/chilipad-cube-dual-zone-queen

Sorry 1911a1-fan, you beat me to it[:I]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional comments about the ChiliPad. I'm thinking the hand made cotton innerspring mattress will be cool enough, but I'll just have to try it to know for sure.
    What's next?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,389 ******
    edited November -1
    After 3 back surgeries, finding a bed I can sleep through a full night on has only been a dream for me.

I can only find brief comfort on my right side.

I have tried the foam temporpedic in the Sealy line with their deluxe model as well as the sleep number with no success.

What I have run across is pain in my right shoulder from always having to sleep on that side.

I have been thinking about an old joke that gives me cause to become inventive.

"Hole in the mattress by Mr. Completely" [:o)]

Toying with the idea of cutting a hole for my arm to take the stress off my shoulder.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Spent 2 nights at the Marriott OKC awhile back, they had crowed about the sleep number beds & all that "comfort".
    Had a ceiling fan going all night with a/c cranked down to 40 just to stay slightly moist.
    Aside from feeling like human taco filling, embedded in that air/foam enclosure; the cooling system in the bed made more noise than the traffic 12 floors below.
    My bed at home is a Hibernation Series Kalifornia King (7'6" X 7'6") waterbed that self-regulates the temp, has a large foam thingie inside that makes it almost "waveless", and is nearing 18 years of age.
    It replaced a SOLID Beautyrest, which replaced a Serta, which replaced a hospital-style electronically-controlled bed.
    I keep it about the equivalent of an 85 on a sleep number bed.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We finally got our sleep number bed delivered at 8:45PM lastnight, after I had to go out and meet the driver several miles from the house and lead him in. Well we got the mattress delivered, they have to drive 3 hours back today to deliver the base that they forgot. Our delivery is 3 weeks late...originally scheduled for Sept 27.

So I watched them assemble the mattress, wow what a sham. It's two air mattresses, inside a cover, with a 4" foam surround , 3" foam top with a pillow top covering that zips on...$2700 for that? Man they are making a killing.

Slept on it last night, I think it will take a few nights to find the right setting, but it definitely like sleeping on a cheap air mattress with a pillow top. It was also much softer by morning, so it appears to lose air too. I guess we'll see from here, but I am under whelmed at this piss poor delivery service, and overall quality. [V]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure that they make a "killing". Their business model includes 1) a lot of advertising, & 2) retail outlets in high rent malls. That doesn't leave much money for the product.

I bought my queen size from their "outlet" in 2003 for $1,300, which meant it was shipped to me in cartons & I had to assemble it. One of the air mattresses leaked, so then sent me a "reconditioned" one; you'd think that would just send a new one, but.....apparently they are too expensive. In any case, I'm still glad I bought it.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That does not match my experience with their customer service - at all.

We've had two of them delivered and set up. Both arrived on the day promised, the crews were clean and professional, and the beds performed exactly as promised.

During our renovation, we took one of them apart and had it outside on our deck (covered) for a couple of weeks. After, one of the cells leaked. The company shipped a new one immediately, rush delivery, along with a pre-paid box to return the leaky one.

We've used Sleep Number beds for more than 15 years now and could not be happier.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well that has been our experience thus far for $4100. The closest place they "build" them is Charlotte. I feel for the delivery guy, but they were supposed to haul the old bed away, now I have to dispose of the old box springs/frame myself because when he comes back to deliver the base today he is only driving a car and won't be able to take the box springs/frame. I'd say that is pretty sorry considering we paid $180 for delivery and removal of the old bed. [V]
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Well that has been our experience thus far for $4100. The closest place they "build" them is Charlotte. I feel for the delivery guy, but they were supposed to haul the old bed away, now I have to dispose of the old box springs/frame myself because when he comes back to deliver the base today he is only driving a car and won't be able to take the box springs/frame. I'd say that is pretty sorry considering we paid $180 for delivery and removal of the old bed. [V]

call and tell em, the least they should do is refund the delivery charge, its not allways just about the money, with me it the principle of it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille

call and tell em, the least they should do is refund the delivery charge, its not allways just about the money, with me it the principle of it.

I plan too. Honestly I should have cancelled the base last night and demanded a refund on it. The driver hinted at it, though he can't say it is not a necessary piece. I'm not normally one of those folks that raises hell about stuff, and demands refunds etc, but in this case I may make an exception.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It keeps getting more expensive, shilo? First it was $2700 and now $4100?

Maybe it's your dealer, or maybe you pizzed them off somehow. All I know is that your and my experiences are polar opposites.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It keeps getting more expensive, shilo? First it was $2700 and now $4100?

Maybe it's your dealer, or maybe you pizzed them off somehow. All I know is that your and my experiences are polar opposites.

I'm not sure how I would have pissed them off, we went into their store, picked out a bed we wanted, and spent $4100 and left. There was no complication to a cordial sale. It was their incompetence that screwed up the original delivery date of Sept 27, got lost, showed up late and forgot to include the base. The mattress itself was $2800, the total cost for everything was $4105. Here is the receipt since you seem to be calling me a liar.

Qny4EHL.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I ended up getting the Sleep Number Bed, since the Oklahoma mattress company could not deliver their mattress to me as quoted dollar wise. Looking back, I should have paid double what they quoted me as the Sleep Number Bed is not for me or the wife either.

Should anyone remember, any sort of foam causes me to sleep hot and restless. Don't believe for a nano second that any sort of foam from Sleep Number will prevent this, because it will NOT. Consequently, I started looking into Talalay latex mattress toppers, which is supposedly known to have better reviews to this end. So, We bought a really nice 100% Talalay latex mattress topper, and two things happened. One is that it allowed us to have a more comfortable, softer sleep surface, and two, is that it does retain heat, but not as much as all of the other type foams that I have slept on. It's tolerable now, but that is the best review that I can give Sleep Number Beds provided it is topped off with a $700 dollar Talalay topper.

There is no doubt in my mind as to what I would do, if I had it all to do over again. One is that I would buy a mattress made the old fashioned way, with cotton, springs, and such, and that's it. That is all that is needed for a good night's sleep. BUT, you need to go to a factory such as McRoskey, where these type mattresses are made and pick out the one , including their box springs, that fits your taste in terms of firmness. Now, McRoskey is expensive as all get out - 5 grand for a GREAT bed, but I'd fly to San Francisco to test and buy one, because a good nights rest all the time is worth it! Now, the Oklahoma Mattress Company makes them the old fashioned way too, I'm told...and they are cheap...so, maybe I should buy a ticket to Oklahoma, instead, and save big bucks.

Shilowar...get rid of that bed while you can and contact a mattress company that makes them the old fashion way...AND KEEP YOUR BOX SPRINGS AND THE OLD MATTRESS...they are costly!!!!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, no. Just confused, shilo. It's possible that the store uses a contract delivery company, in which case a complaint about them would definitely be in order. It may have been the loading dock guys who screwed up. Who knows? I should also have said unintentionally pizzed them off. Or somebody else did.

Anyway, the point is that our experiences are vastly different. And I'm sorry yours was. I hope it was an isolated case.

kimi, sorry the SN didn't work out for you. Everybody is different, and you seem to have some unique needs. I wish you the best.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Shilowar...get rid of that bed while you can and contact a mattress company that makes them the old fashion way...AND KEEP YOUR BOX SPRINGS AND THE OLD MATTRESS...they are costly!!!!!!

The old mattress is gone, they took that with the truck last night. It is the box springs they left for use with the new mattress. The sleep number mattress worked fine last night for comfort.

I'll have to read through the 100 day sleep warranty and see what the fine print says about returning the mattress.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, no. Just confused, shilo. It's possible that the store uses a contract delivery company, in which case a complaint about them would definitely be in order. It may have been the loading dock guys who screwed up. Who knows? I should also have said unintentionally pizzed them off. Or somebody else did.

Anyway, the point is that our experiences are vastly different. And I'm sorry yours was. I hope it was an isolated case.

kimi, sorry the SN didn't work out for you. Everybody is different, and you seem to have some unique needs. I wish you the best.

Thanks, Rocky. Yes, the body heat that foam retains is simply too much for me to sleep well. For example, I have a foam throw pillow I use for my back in my living room chair, and after sitting for awhile, the pillow actually sticks to the leather. Right now the wife and I have the bed to where it is okay, thanks to the Talalay latex topper. Now, if the wife complains about it any in the future, I'll move it to the guest room and buy an old fashion mattress. Remember the old six, or was it 8, inch thick military mattress for bunk beds with their heavy gauge wire and spring system...now that was great!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Thanks, Rocky. Yes, the body heat that foam retains is simply too much for me to sleep well. For example, I have a foam throw pillow I use for my back in my living room chair, and after sitting for awhile, the pillow actually sticks to the leather. Right now the wife and I have the bed to where it is okay, thanks to the Talalay latex topper. Now, if the wife complains about it any in the future, I'll move it to the guest room and buy an old fashion mattress. Remember the old six, or was it 8, inch thick military mattress for bunk beds with their heavy gauge wire and spring system...now that was great!!!

We bought the optional cool top...which comes on the more expensive P8 bed. It seemed to work okay lastnight.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shilo, another thing you might likely find is that aside from the fact that it felt softer after it was slept on, is that when you make the bed up...even after going to the 100 percent setting, you'll still likely have the caved in indentations look. Who wants to see that after the bed is made?!
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1

We bought the optional cool top...which comes on the more expensive P8 bed. It seemed to work okay lastnight.

Yes, we bought it too, and it does give one a very nice cool feeling when the slide into bed...but only for a few minutes until it adjusts to body heat. Still, it was worth the extra dollars.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shilo, another thing you might likely find is that aside from the fact that it felt softer after it was slept on, is that when you make the bed up...even after going to the 100 percent setting, you'll still likely have the caved in indentations look. Who wants to see that after the bed is made?!

funny you mentioned that, we noticed that this morning...LOL