In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

GunBroker on CBS

searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
edited April 2016 in General Discussion
Somehow, I doubt GunBroker would appreciate their name used in this article, with it's obvious negative connotations. Advertised as "America's favorite Guns", they just can't help getting their sneaky little digs in. Take a look through it, and tell me if this seems to be part of an anti-gun agenda, or am I just being paranoid?

http://tinyurl.com/gvt2wql

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    total smear piece. propaganda at its worst. It ranks just a smidgen above the intelligence required to write this Rolling Stone article:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-5-most-dangerous-guns-in-america-20140714
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:So, we've cross-referenced the ATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report, with a September 2015 ranking of the bestselling guns on GunBroker.com, an eBay-like online auction site that attracts more than four million users a month. The end results are some of the most popular guns in America.

i dont know which worse, the negative spin of comparison to ebay

quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    total smear piece. propaganda at its worst. It ranks just a smidgen above the intelligence required to write this Rolling Stone article:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-5-most-dangerous-guns-in-america-20140714

thats pretty bad research and writing right there
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Snarky as hell.

I don't necessarily disagree the logic of with using information from GB sales to gauge firearm popularity, but is a case of a chick who has no idea what she is looking at and is simply talking out of her *.

As an example..there is no way in hell the KelTec Sub2000 is the most popular semi auto rifle in America....for September or any other month.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the ATF, shotguns were the third most manufactured firearms of 2013, with 1,203,072 produced in the U.S. Within that larger category, there are then two subcategories: semi-automatic shotguns and pump action shotguns.

good to know my double barrel and single shots are not shotguns
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kel Tech was the most popular hand gun, I find that hard to believe.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to find one of those semi auto over/unders the young man is handling in frame 14/25.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    While the article slant sucked, I saw nothing about GB to take offense at. It made no claims except what the most looked at auctions contained.
    Free publicity is free publicity will probably generate some additional traffic to the site.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Kel Tech was the most popular hand gun, I find that hard to believe.

For September 2015 it was...

http://www.GunBroker.com/Content/Top5/2015-09-GunBroker-Top-5-Guns.html
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    While the article slant sucked, I saw nothing about GB to take offense at. It made no claims except what the most looked at auctions contained.
    Free publicity is free publicity will probably generate some additional traffic to the site.

They could have linked to the site...
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun

I'm actually surprised they mentioned it was an online auction site. it is common to cite the source of the data without additional information if you don't want people flocking to the site. Most people are too dumb or lazy to search for it.
    I'm sure you have counters and I bet you see an increase in traffic. Thank CBS.[:p]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap on a cracker, that article (RS) could have been written by a team of chimps; "Popular among handgun-owners, pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock." Imagine that!

"Short stock"??? Who would have thought that pistols would go 'hand in hand' with 'handgun owners'. Sheesh. And the unknowing eat this crap with a spoon.

Loved the mention of 'grenade launchers' in the revolver bit. Hmmmm, do those EVER show up in crime statistics? LMAO

Edit: I seem to have done the reading bassackwards. I read the CBS BS 2nd. LOVE the info that the Henry 'Golden Boy' has a 'gold' receiver!!!! That should make it #1 with the 'homeys' next year. I would laugh at the stupidity but these articles show the ignorance of the general population
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1

This made me laugh out loud. Also, it made me wonder if articles like this do more good than harm (looking at it from CaptFun's perspective).

I would take great satisfaction knowing that GunBroker saw an uptick in sales after articles like this are published.
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    I'm surprised they didn't say you could order guns from GB and have them delivered right to your house...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D]quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    quote:Originally posted by SG
    I'm surprised they didn't say you hardened criminals could order fully automatic machine guns from GB anonymously via the Internet with a stolen credit card and have them delivered right to your house crib, no questions asked...

There, fixed it for ya.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would not doubt that at all! That's pretty much what Sean Peyton said not too long ago.quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    [:D]quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I'm surprised they didn't say you hardened criminals could order fully automatic machine guns from GB anonymously via the Internet with a stolen credit card and have them delivered right to your house crib, no questions asked...

There, fixed it for ya.

Well, let's face it, that's what they really wanted to say isn't it?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Holy crap on a cracker, that article (RS) could have been written by a team of chimps; "Popular among handgun-owners, pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock." Imagine that!

"Short stock"??? Who would have thought that pistols would go 'hand in hand' with 'handgun owners'. Sheesh. And the unknowing eat this crap with a spoon.

Loved the mention of 'grenade launchers' in the revolver bit. Hmmmm, do those EVER show up in crime statistics? LMAO

Edit: I seem to have done the reading bassackwards. I read the CBS BS 2nd. LOVE the info that the Henry 'Golden Boy' has a 'gold' receiver!!!! That should make it #1 with the 'homeys' next year. I would laugh at the stupidity but these articles show the ignorance of the general population

Those darn short stocks are why we grip with one hand over the other. I have been looking for a real he-man long stock for mine so I can get both hands on some wood.[:)]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, statistics are never better than the methodology used to compile them. I think that GB sales statistics are taken from "key words" in the descriptions, & it's difficult to separate specific guns from "types" of guns. Management never asked any of us (as far as I know) to review their specifications, & the published results don't seem to fall in line with what I would expect.

The implication of the CBS story seems to be that children are able to buy guns off of the internet, & they tend to like guns that they have seen in the movies. A commonly used debating technique, this is called "poisoning the well".

Neal

"There are 3 kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, & statistics" --- unknown
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That sounds like a personal problem..[:o)][:D]quote:Originally posted by He Dog
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

Those darn short stocks are why we grip with one hand over the other. I have been looking for a real he-man long stock for mine so I can get both hands on some wood.[:)]
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet they could also tell you the 5 most popular crack pipes.

Mr.Flash
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by searcher5
    Somehow, I doubt GunBroker would appreciate their name used in this article, with it's obvious negative connotations. Advertised as "America's favorite Guns", they just can't help getting their sneaky little digs in. Take a look through it, and tell me if this seems to be part of an anti-gun agenda, or am I just being paranoid?

http://tinyurl.com/gvt2wql

CBS is the DEMOCRAT party.

Communist broadcasting system
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:So, we've cross-referenced the ATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report, with a September 2015 ranking of the bestselling guns on GunBroker.com, an eBay-like online auction site that attracts more than four million users a month.

Mar 22, 2016 - GunBroker.com has released its list of Top 5 Best Selling Firearms for February 2016.

Jan 21, 2015 - GunBroker.com is excited to announce the release of its list of the Best Selling Firearms of 2014.

================

I see no problem with the report. GunBroker is "e-Bay like". Both sites you sign up, browes the items you are interested in and then bid on them or hit the Buy It Now button..

Like the article stated.

quote:The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives puts out an annual list on the number of guns manufactured each year per category, but not per model. And they don't release any statistical breakdown on the number of guns purchased.

So, we've cross-referenced the ATF's Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Exportation Report, with a September 2015 ranking of the bestselling guns on GunBroker.com,

What I see, is the person doing the report wanted to answer the question of what is the "most popular guns in America". And used what statistics they could find. Rather than make up some BS list like that aasshat at Rolling Stone.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    Derringers
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink

This made me laugh out loud. Also, it made me wonder if articles like this do more good than harm (looking at it from CaptFun's perspective).

I would take great satisfaction knowing that GunBroker saw an uptick in sales after articles like this are published.

It the Trump tactic...there is no such thing as bad publicity...publicity is publicity.