In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Local Attorney/Former LE, Arrested For Murder

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
edited August 2014 in General Discussion
http://www.heraldbanner.com/topnews/x864256867/BREAKING-Local-attorney-charged-with-murder

The headline reads: "Local Attorney Arrested For Murder."

What they could have written was: "Former Deputy Sheriff Charged With Murder." That would have grabbed more attention.

Attorney Royal Mullins was a Deputy Sheriff for a number of years before he went to law school.

I can tell you that I have been acquainted with Royal Mullins, as a peace officer and an attorney, on a professional level for 30 years or so, and had a passing acquaintance with Curtis Gray, usually as a suspect in an assault.

That's all the comment I can make on this story, since that's all I know for sure.

nunn

July 30, 2014

Local Attorney Charged With Murder

UPDATE: Police department releases statement on fatal shooting

By BRAD KELLAR
Herald-Banner Staff

GREENVILLE - The Greenville Police Department has released a statement in connection with a fatal shooting early this morning, for which a local attorney has been charged with one count of murder:

The Greenville Police Department was notified at approximately 1:17 a.m., July 30, 2014, of a shooting in the 3800 Block of Spencer.

Officers responded to the call and found an African American male; 48-year-old Curtis Wayne Gray, had been shot. Gray was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Sheila Linden. Initial investigation of the shooting led to the arrest of 61-year-old Royal Lynn Mullins. Mullins was booked in the Hunt County Jail on a charge of murder. Mullins was arraigned later in the day in Judge Linden's court. His bond has been set at $150,000. Officers with the Greenville Police Department are continuing to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Comments

• Options
    legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    Kinda odd set of people to be together at 1am.

Robbery, or drug deal, or what?
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gray was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Sheila Linden.

Do Justices of the peace receive medical training in Texas? I've never heard of anyone being pronounced dead by an officer of the court. Well unless maybe his head was missing or something.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,040 ******
    edited November -1
    The start of this story doesn't add up,,,can't wait to hear the rest,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:From Bubba Jr: Do Justices of the peace receive medical training in Texas? I've never heard of anyone being pronounced dead by an officer of the court. Well unless maybe his head was missing or something.

From http://www.courts.state.tx.us/courts/jp.asp

"Justice of the peace courts have original jurisdiction in Class C misdemeanor criminal cases, which are less serious minor offenses. These courts also have jurisdiction of minor civil matters. A justice of the peace may issue search or arrest warrants, and may serve as the coroner in counties where there is no provision for a medical examiner. These courts also function as small claims courts."

JPs attend initial certification training and ongoing training throughout their terms. I have no idea what all it covers.

That stated, just about anyone can look at a corpse and tell that it has injuries inconsistent with life. I learned a long time ago about post mortem lividity and rigor. I forgot the time frames involved, but suffice to say that if rigor and/or lividity are present, life is not.

On the other hand, if there is ANY doubt as to the victim's condition, the paramedics come in. In many cases, the paramedics arrived before the judge, and have done something or not. If they are not convinced that the victim is dead, they begin life support and transport.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    July 31 follow-up. Not much more information though.

http://www.heraldbanner.com/local/x1027615003/Local-attorney-charged-with-murder

July 31, 2014 Local attorney charged with murder

By BRAD KELLAR Herald-Banner Staff

The Herald-Banner Thu Jul 31, 2014, 03:59 AM CDT

GREENVILLE - A Hunt County attorney was arrested early Wednesday and charged with murder in connection with the shooting death of another man in Greenville. Royal Lynn Mullins, 61, was booked into the Hunt County Jail Wednesday morning on one count of murder involving the death of Curtis Wayne Gray. Mullins was later released from custody after posting $150,000 bond.

According to a report from the Greenville Police Department, officers responded at approximately 1:17 a.m. Wednesday to a report of a shooting in the 3800 block of Spencer Street and found Gray, 48, had been shot. Gray was pronounced dead at the scene by Justice of the Peace Sheila Linden. The police report indicated that the initial investigation of the shooting led to Mullins' arrest.

The investigation into circumstances surrounding the incident was said to be continuing Wednesday evening. Mullins owns his own legal practice in Greenville and has represented defendants charged with murder, most recently Tyrone Leorone McCurdy in connection with the death of Treybbian Leekey Nelson in February 2011.

Wednesday's incident was the first homicide reported in Greenville since December 2012, although it was the third shooting death in Hunt County so far in 2014.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Texas JP's of course rely on the word of medical personnel to determine death has actually occurred. Their function is to conduct an inquest of all unattended deaths.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They don't go into any details about why the killing happened.

Did the guy who was shot have a record?

Could it have been a Blackmail scheme?
    RLTW

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Perry Mason case...
  • Options
    jeffb1911jeffb1911 Member Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn, in cases like this are you glad you are retired now?

As far as the JP declaring the victim deceased, that is in the law in Texas. LONG before the JP is called, there are all kinds of personnel on scene- PD, Fire, EMS, so all the JP has to do is the legality of declaring someone deceased, and get the body sent to the appropriate place-funeral home, morgue, medical examiner,etc.

Speaking of JP's, my little brother TxLawDog will be one soon.....
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess would be drug related. I hear lots of gossip about that kind of activity amongst some of the attorneys and judges in our area, I've heard them referred to as "coke parties".