In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1947 Willys CJ2A pics.

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
Took a few pics of the CJ2A I picked up a few days ago. As rough as it looks in the pics, it's actually pretty solid overall, and the engine runs very well. Gotta get under at least four layers of paint too. I've already got a couple new repair panels on the way, specifically the area just below the gas cap, and the small step behind the front driver's side fender.

Let the fun begin...[:p][^][;)]

36210073476_279ee34ca2_z.jpg

36210071236_985b4cc30f_z.jpg

35446554903_1097dacfb5_z.jpg

36210068276_92724f30a3_z.jpg

36210072036_8e37ca7eb3_z.jpg
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice, brings back memories of a Willys Overland about the condition of yours I had sitting down in the woods with plans to restore [:)]........someone relieved me of it in the dark of the moon [:(!]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A true piece of history! You're going to enjoy putting money and time into this bottomless pit
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you will be very busy [:D]
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    awesome , what color are you going with ?
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice!! Looks easy to work on. Is that a PTO in the rear?? What is that for?? small block and a four speed fit in there??[:)]
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure miss my 45 Willy's. I was young and wanted to go fast, so I traded it.

With mine, I would chase down Jack Rabbits in the open Desert, running them until they got tuckered out, then drive up and slap them in the back of the head, then go find another one!

I should have just shot them because they started the learning process! They would lead you off hidden drop offs, through old wire fences that had fallen down years before ect.

It really didn't want to roll over, but it did have a tendency to try and "Endo", going in forward or reverse on steep hill's.
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It does actually look pretty clean, it looks like it has very little rust and little if no dents. Are you going to do a frame-off restoration? I think I would if I were you.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have fun,but remember J-E-E-P is short for Just-Empty-Every-Pocket. I know i have a 1942 GPW (Ford) and two 1952 M38's (Willys)..At least the parts are easy to find.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Radar
    You will have fun,but remember J-E-E-P is short for Just-Empty-Every-Pocket. I know i have a 1942 GPW (Ford) and two 1952 M38's (Willys)..At least the parts are easy to find.

And they are super simple to tear down and put back together.
  • Options
    jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My neighbor has one similar with a pto behind. I have seen him rake hay and also pull a tedder and hook it to the pto. Nice, I would fix it up and paint it army green.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,091 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey

Excellent ,,,,,,,,but the work involved 'boggles' my mind,,,,,,[:o)]

Hope you post pics on the progression,,,,,,[^]
    +1,,[8D][8D][8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

O.D. green, more than likely.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Frame off is the only way to go...
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35 Whelen

36210071236_985b4cc30f_z.jpg

Cool!

I have a '45 Willys MB, but it doesn't have that really neat flower pot / spittoon under the hood.

[:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

sweet, to me that's the only color they should ever be, they just don't look right any other color
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool ride
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,438 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Project for sure, but it'll be a fun one! Did you ever do anything with the 1693?
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jltrent
    My neighbor has one similar with a pto behind. I have seen him rake hay and also pull a tedder and hook it to the pto. Nice, I would fix it up and paint it army green.

wow
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,967 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My hat is off. I don't know that I ever had that much determination, I certainly no longer have that much patience and energy. I am looking forward to being a voyeur on this rebuild.[:D]
  • Options
    PacManPacMan Member Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a fun project. Really like the PTO. Ya need to get some implements for it...[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It only takes four minutes to take one apart and put it back together![;)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lArUXYlXsH4
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Project for sure, but it'll be a fun one! Did you ever do anything with the 1693?
    Willys made Jeeps in the late 17th century??? WOW!
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OD green is definitely the way to go. Jeep is in really good shape to be quite old. Lucky find. I love Jeeps, especially the old Willy's. Have had a Jeep for the last 35 years. First was a 77 CJ with a 3 speed and 304 V8, currently own a 2007 Jk. Keep us updated with pics, I am interested to see where this goes.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,438 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    Willys made Jeeps in the late 17th century??? WOW!
    Why sure, they been around "forever" haven't they?[;)]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJHE9MntEb0
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like it.

I have rebuilt a few of them and I always regret selling them after about 2 months. I have had a 44 ford, 45 willys, another 44 ford, 2 1954's, 63 and a 69.

In the 90's I built a forever Jeep, a 69 CJ with a Dauntless 225 in it. The wife would not even ride in it. I built it with the best parts, did a shackle reverse on it, had lock rights and an over drive on it. Por-15'ed the frame and body after sandblasting them bare.

I gave it away sold it. I missed it one hour later.

My current project is a 1975 Dodge Power wagon. This fall I am pulling the motor and rebuilding it. While its out I will replace the clutch and do some body work replacing rusted out panels. It drives now but has very low compression.

Enjoy yourself with it I know I would. That is a real lucky find.
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1

I hate to even admit it, but we haven't hardly looked at it in the last year or so. Dad definitely still wants to bring it home and wrench on it, but his knees are getting worse, and him and Mom don't have any room to park it now. He retired last year, and even though he'd never admit it, after 42 years of driving truck and working on them, I think he's finally had enough of it.[:)][;)]
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Back several years ago : In bout 1980 or so , I bought a completely restored (44?)? I think military from a guy in Mt Vernon Illinois , Paid some-where in the $2000 range , kept it a lil while , sold it for a few $$$ more , always wished I had kept it !!!! Good Luck , They are FUN !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a media blaster would make quick work of all that paint!! Another iconic vehicle, done right you be able to enjoy it for years. Would the PTO be a post WWII commercial addition?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1

This is what I was hoping to hear, and you didn't disappoint. Looks like a fun, if not big, project. Can't wait to see some more photos as you go along.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Looks like a media blaster would make quick work of all that paint!! Another iconic vehicle, done right you be able to enjoy it for years. Would the PTO be a post WWII commercial addition?

It's commercial, as far as I know. Wouldn't it be fun to round up a bunch of the PTO attachments that were available back in the day? Backhoes, sawmills, ditch diggers, woodsplitters, etc. Wasn't much you couldn't do with a Jeep, way back when.[8D]

Jeep-Willys-backhoe-l.jpg

jeep-willys-sawmill-2.jpg

Jeep-a-trench-1.jpg

DCP_2947.jpg
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    I would love to have that. Complete soda blast is your friend.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Jeep a split would be bad *!