In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

UPS handgun shipping

shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
Are handgun or handgun frames normally shipped next day or two day air? Is that a UPS requirement?

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Are handgun or handgun frames normally shipped next day or two day air? Is that a UPS requirement?

Next day from Keltec...
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember. For the last three years all of the handguns we ship have gone USPS Priority mail.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ricci Wright
    I don't remember. For the last three years all of the handguns we ship have gone USPS Priority mail.

I just wondered because I shipped out a Glock 19 frame to an FFL from a UPS Service Center. They sent it ground and it only cost me $14.95. No complaints by any means I just thought handgun had to go overnight or 2 day.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

only by a dealer
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I am a dealer! A very special dealer, my Mommy told me so!![:)][:o)]quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

only by a dealer
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it pissed me off when they could not trust there employees from stealing so they passes on the charges to the customers to keep the handguns thru the system as fast as possible ,
    another bad guys doing it ( with no repercussion ) and the good guys have to pay to make up for it .

sometimes the other countries chopping off hands for theft might be a worthy cause
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both Fedex & UPS require handguns be shipped Next Day Air; it's in their tariff. While you can ship a firearm from a Fedex Office, you can't ship a firearm from the UPS Store. Both carriers require that you declare the contents to be a firearm when you ship, same for Signature Required.

That doesn't mean that an employee with inadequate training won't tell you that you can ship a handgun some other way; that might save you money. Or, cost you money if the gun is lost or damaged, in which case your insurance is not valid.

Plus, both Fedex & UPS sometimes have contracts with large volume shippers to ship guns by a cheaper method.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Both Fedex & UPS require handguns be shipped Next Day Air; it's in their tariff. While you can ship a firearm from a Fedex Office, you can't ship a firearm from the UPS Store. Both carriers require that you declare the contents to be a firearm when you ship, same for Signature Required.

That doesn't mean that an employee with inadequate training won't tell you that you can ship a handgun some other way; that might save you money. Or, cost you money if the gun is lost or damaged, in which case your insurance is not valid.

Plus, both Fedex & UPS sometimes have contracts with large volume shippers to ship guns by a cheaper method.

Neal

I brought the box in open, showed her the contents, my receipt says "Description of goods: gun frame" and I declared a value and a copy of the FFL was attached to the label inside a clear plastic label affixed on the box. They'd have a hard time arguing that any negligence is on my part. This was not a UPS Store, it was at the Service Center at their main Shipping and Receiving Facility.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I am a dealer! A very special dealer, my Mommy told me so!![:)][:o)]quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

only by a dealer

And your mama don't lie. [:D]
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After researching this a couple of years ago, here is the bottom line:

ANYONE can ship a gun ANY WAY through UPS, and it is LEGAL.

BUT.......if the gun is lost or stolen, you aren't getting JACK even if it was insured, unless you send it next day.

It is NOT illegal to ship it ground, but you might screw yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, but again, it is NOT illegal to ship it ground.

Merc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mercury

BUT.......if the gun is lost or stolen, you aren't getting JACK even if it was insured, unless you send it next day.

It is NOT illegal to ship it ground, but you might screw yourself. I wouldn't recommend it, but again, it is NOT illegal to ship it ground.

Merc

They should explain this to customers then at the time they ship. The shipper should explain their policies to the customer at the time services are rendered. After all why would the UPS employee ask me if I want to increase the insurance on the parcel if they are not going to cover it?
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Merc

They should explain this to customers then at the time they ship. The shipper should explain their policies to the customer at the time services are rendered. After all why would the UPS employee ask me if I want to increase the insurance on the parcel if they are not going to cover it?

Let's see,....to increase their profit at no possible risk to them[?][;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a sweet deal, local pawn shop as receiving FFL at $10 per transaction. I won a High Standard .22 pistol for less than market value. I sent the seller a virtual copy of the FFL and he shipped the handgun UPS ground to the FFL's home address, not the store.

I found out while the gun was in transit. I called the pawn shop owner on Sunday evening to alert him to the fact that a handgun was going to be sitting on his porch some time the next day. He got very upset and that was the last time he let me have things shipped to him.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Marc1301

Merc

Let's see,....to increase their profit at no possible risk to them[?][;)]

I was not presented with any of other shipping option, other than ground. She then asked about the value and insurance. I feel confident that a small claims judge would find that they are making a contract for insurance at that rate by offering the insurance. If their policy requires next day air for firearms then it is only reasonable that they inform customers at the time services are contracted of that fact.

Oh well looks like the UPS lady made an error, hopefully it will arrive safe and sound. I am going to assume that she shipped it thinking it was firearms parts instead of as a firearm. If there is a next time I will make sure they understand that it is a firearm. This is one of the reasons I don't sell guns on GB anymore, shipping is a PITA for non FFLs!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    I had a sweet deal, local pawn shop as receiving FFL at $10 per transaction. I won a High Standard .22 pistol for less than market value. I sent the seller a virtual copy of the FFL and he shipped the handgun UPS ground to the FFL's home address, not the store.

I found out while the gun was in transit. I called the pawn shop owner on Sunday evening to alert him to the fact that a handgun was going to be sitting on his porch some time the next day. He got very upset and that was the last time he let me have things shipped to him.

Something similar happened to me through a GB purchase. I purchased a Beretta 96FS. The POS non FFL seller sent it in a priority mail box to my FFL's house (home FFL). It sat on his front porch all day while he was at his other job. For $1.50 more he could have atleast done signature and confirmation of delivery. The FFL was mad at me at first, like I have any control over what some * seller does. [V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well my handgun frame arrive unscathed, so I escaped the wrath of the shipping Gods this time. Next time I will make sure they ship it properly. They didn't even get an adult signature. [:D]