In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

North Idaho man shot and killed by deputy

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/27/man-shot-by-bonner-county-deputies-had-no-prior-cr/

I know a couple of folks who knew Mr. Johnson.

From what they say about him, this one stinks. Sadly, there are no witnesses that are still alive other than the Bonner County Sherriff deputies.

Body cam footage would go a long way in answering a number of what seem to be legitimate questions as to why a warrant was issued, and how the warrant was pursued. Don't know if Bonner County Deputies wear them.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the article:

"However, the list of felony warrants on the Sheriff?s Office web page indicates that a warrant was issued Monday for aggravated assault on certain law enforcement. The bond is listed at $30,000."

The man worked at a local bar one night a week. Did he have an altercation with one of the deputies at the bar? Easy to speculate, wonder what the facts are.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds suspicious...

Prayers for those involved.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the looks of the article it may have been a felony warrant for assaulting a police officer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rumors are all I've heard, and am not comfortable spreading them.

The article reports the nature of Mr. Johnson as I have heard it. A man with no prior criminal history and by all accounts an all around good guy.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a guy that had something drastic happened in his life went off the deep end

The report says he was armed when they tried to serve the warrant and he got aggressive, and also states that warrant was for aggravated assault against the law enforcement officer.

Yep, sounds like somebody had something go wrong in their life recently and went off the deep end.

Too bad, sounds like for 50 years he was in a pretty good guy until he snapped

Course this is all just my opinion
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't know how suspicious it is, but it does seem tragic. Prayers for all involved.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    I don't know how suspicious it is, but it does seem tragic. Prayers for all involved.

Wondering what is suspicious as well. Even people described as mild mannered can get angry, impulsive or depressed and create a suicide by cop scenario. The absence of body cam has no significance. We don't use body cams, likely won't for quite sometime and our officers words are still good in court, as they should be. Life did exist prior to video recordings of every happening.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect

Wondering what is suspicious as well. Even people described as mild mannered can get angry, impulsive or depressed and create a suicide by cop scenario. The absence of body cam has no significance. We don't use body cams, likely won't for quite sometime and our officers words are still good in court, as they should be. Life did exist prior to video recordings of every happening.

Everything I have heard is hearsay, and it would be irresponsible to put it out. Yes, anything could have happened, and dead men tell no tales.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which is more common in the media: shot dead or shot and killed? The answer is clear to any who look.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/sep/28/coolin-man-killed-by-bonner-county-deputies-accuse/

A few minutes before midnight Sunday, Bonner County Deputy Gary Madden showed up at the Coolin home of Craig A. Johnson after his wife called dispatch to check on him.

As Madden walked up to the well-lit house, Johnson appeared on a second-story porch waving a gun and yelled at him to get off his property, according to court records.

Madden said he then identified himself as a deputy, drew his gun and took cover behind his patrol car while telling Johnson to drop his weapon.

Instead, Johnson walked back inside his house and Madden drove away.

The entire episode took four minutes, according to dispatch logs sent to the Bonner County Daily Bee newspaper.

Two days later, on Tuesday morning, several deputies returned to Johnson?s house to arrest him for waving the gun at the deputy. The Idaho State Police, which is investigating the shooting, said Johnson was armed and ?exhibited hostile behavior to the deputies? that morning and was shot. He died in the back of an ambulance on the way to a nearby medical helicopter.

Comment:

This as reported is different than the rumors I heard, and am glad I did not post them. It does however, still leave a few questions, though not a sinister as I had once shot. From what I heard, it was not his wife that had called.

That said, and if the story above is accurate, would the sequence of events be normal for most law enforcement organizations?

Someone approaches a remote house in the middle of the night and is told to leave by the armed resident. When that someone identifies himself as an LEO, the resident goes back into the house rather than complying with the order to drop his weapon. A four minute encounter.

Absent more detail I understand it will be speculation, but would this normally result in the filing for and granting of a felony warrant? Assuming, of course that the story is as reported, and that once the deputy identified himself, the brandishing ended and Johnson went back into the house.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

[blue]A few minutes before midnight Sunday, Bonner County Deputy Gary Madden showed up at the Coolin home of Craig A. Johnson after his wife called dispatch to check on him.

As Madden walked up to the well-lit house, Johnson appeared on a second-story porch waving a gun and yelled at him to get off his property, according to court records.

Madden said he then identified himself as a deputy, drew his gun and took cover behind his patrol car while telling Johnson to drop his weapon.

Instead, Johnson walked back inside his house and Madden drove away.

Based solely on the above, this would have likely resulted in a request for more assistance for a barricaded subject. We wouldn't have left, especially if it is a well being check, and the person displays a weapon while exhibiting irrational behavior. Perhaps they handle things differently out there in rural Idaho. Perhaps they only have one Deputy working and they let things deescalate themselves. Strikes me as odd, but it is also a completely different region of the country, and your not dealing with a populated area or immediate threat to others(unless he decides to go mobile).