In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Knife ?

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited February 2013 in General Discussion
My best friends brother makes knives. He wants to sell some. They are 41something stainless and stag handles. They dont come with holders of any kind. Would anybody be interested? I will post pics next week.

He cuts the blade out with the cnc machine and then finishes the blade by hand.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    1 of the knives i bought is a thin handled knife about 5 inches long that has made in USA on the blade with no other markings anywhere on the knife.

Any ideas on what it might be?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I went to Alaska in 2008 or 2009 and bought my dad a 6 inch knife with a antler handle and a old timey holster. I would like to get another knife similar. Any ideas where i can find one? Thanks David
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Kabar knife made for the Marines and i was wondering what knives might be better?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Today i bought a good looking knife at my daughters pawn shop. The knife is 9 1/4 inches long and the blade is 4 5/8. The handle is some type of antler/bone.

The only thing stamped on the knife is RW stamped on the left side. You can tell the knife is very well made.

The sheath is as nice than the knife. The sheath is 9 inches long and the leather is 1/4 thick and folded over that makes it 1/2 inch and laced in a x pattern.

When the knife is in the sheath only about 1 inch sticks out. I googled knives made with RW on the blade and i saw a sheath almost exactly on RW Wilsons web sight.

I paid 6 dollars for the knife. I just got the knife because it looked so nice and i liked the sheath. I wonder if it is worth anything? I know on RW Wilsons web sight they go for 600 to 2800 but they have more writing on it than just RW.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone wax there knife blades. I have a lot of knives some are cheap and some are worth a little bit of money.

I dont have any Randall knives but some old Pumas and other knives. I am limited on what i can store inside the house.

I was thinking about waxing the knives and putting them in old ammo cans and storing them in a cheap stack on gun safe in my shop.

Good idea or bad.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad asked me to find information about a schrade knife. It is old and has a stag handle. The sheeth was made to hold about a 6 or 7 inch blade and a smaller 3 or 4 inch blade. All he has is the big knife a friend of his stole the little knife.

Any idea when it was made or what it was called and the value. He does not want to sell it but was just curious. It does have a nice edge to it though.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not sure which one you have but I'll take a stab at it (pun intended).

Most likely you have the blade marked 153UH which is also called the Golden Spike. If it says "made in the USA" and is NOT stainless steel, then it is likely worth around $65-80 depending on condition. If it is stainless, and/or is not made in the USA, then it is sells for about $25 (and ain't worth that).

Most likely the smaller knife (assuming it was a fixed blade knife) was most likely the 152OT also called the Sharpfinger. It is worth about he same as the other one.

Schrade closed its USA plant in 2004 and are now made in China (like everything else) and they are not worth the anything now.

If these don't sound like your models, then shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email and you can send pics to help ID them. I am pretty good with Schrade, Uncle Hentry, Old Timer, etc.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    Interesting. I happen to have an older Shrade knife marked 153UH made in the usa in nice condition. With the original leather sheath. Given to me new in the very early 90's.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser, they are nice knives. Many people (myself included) think they are a tad thick and as a result take a while to sharpen. However, when trying to split the pelvic bone on big deer, it is nice to have versus a sharpfinger.
    I think the perfect compromise is the Mountain Lion which is a 160OT and it is midway between those two models.
    If you are interested in parting with your Golden Spike, let me know. I'd take another. [:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    mauser54mauser54 Member Posts: 3,733
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bambihunter
    Mauser, they are nice knives. Many people (myself included) think they are a tad thick and as a result take a while to sharpen. However, when trying to split the pelvic bone on big deer, it is nice to have versus a sharpfinger.
    I think the perfect compromise is the Mountain Lion which is a 160OT and it is midway between those two models.
    If you are interested in parting with your Golden Spike, let me know. I'd take another. [:)]

I would have to give that some thought. If I ever decide to get rid of it, I will definatly contact you.