In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Australia Gun Laws

cywardcyward Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Someone told me that 10 years ago they outlawed gun ownership in Australia,,,,,,,,,can that be true???????

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • glynglyn Member Posts: 5,698 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thiunk it was only hand guns they banned and the 1st gun crime went up something like 44%.Dan Kelly will know.
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they banned semi-auto's & pump guns. and as of 1998 they banned Bowie knives http://gunowners.org/hlr-au.htm
  • lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not true, our news reporting is awful.
    shot dec last year,lived previous in south australia,
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    false! semi auto rifles,shotguns, and pump action shotguns are banned to all except farmers...sometimes they can get them!
    knive and swords aren`t banned anywhere...in victoria you have to have a permit to buy or possess swords and some knives.

i can assure you hand guns aren`t illegal here either, i own 5 and have another one on the way....believe your lieing media at your own peril![}:)]

i import swords and knives from all over the world every now and then..it`s rare for customs to even open them, and they have never opened a parcel with a sword in it. sometimes they open a parcel when i`m getting in an auto opener, twice they have siezed them and iv`e had to get a permit from my stste police saying they don`t mind me having them(auto opener knives are a restricted import,they aren`t illegal)

just ask any other questions you have, i don`t mind answering them.
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend lives in perth and she told me several years ago they banned all guns and the only people who had gun were the motorcycle gangs who were at war with each other 24/7.

You can checkout some pics of one motorcycle gang shoot out on totten.com. One dude has a shotgun wad lodged between his ear and head from where he took a blast from a sawed off at less than 10 feet (according to police).

I dunno if they banned them or not, but I have heard from many many people they had.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    false! semi auto rifles,shotguns, and pump action shotguns are banned to all except farmers...sometimes they can get them!
    knive and swords aren`t banned anywhere...in victoria you have to have a permit to buy or possess swords and some knives.

i can assure you hand guns aren`t illegal here either, i own 5 and have another one on the way....believe your lieing media at your own peril![}:)]

i import swords and knives from all over the world every now and then..it`s rare for customs to even open them, and they have never opened a parcel with a sword in it. sometimes they open a parcel when i`m getting in an auto opener, twice they have siezed them and iv`e had to get a permit from my stste police saying they don`t mind me having them(auto opener knives are a restricted import,they aren`t illegal)

just ask any other questions you have, i don`t mind answering them.

Why does your apostrophe point in the wrong direction? Is that because you're from "down-under?" ``` vs. '''
    edited November -1
    themonuclear...your friend obviously doesn`t own guns, or know much about them for them to believe that...

ramtinxxl...i don`t know, thats the way the computers make them here...iv`e never yaken much notice, but the computer here is set to australian english...as opposed to american english,maybe thats why?????[8)]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    themonuclear...your friend obviously doesn`t own guns, or know much about them for them to believe that...

ramtinxxl...i don`t know, thats the way the computers make them here...iv`e never yaken much notice, but the computer here is set to australian english...as opposed to american english,maybe thats why?????[8)]

You could be possibly right. I can't say whether she owned a gun or not, what I can say is she is gun friendly. She has no problem with people who want to have or use guns.

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    well, from what i know of west australian gun laws,if she wants a gun she can join a club and shoot there..thats the easiest way to get one anywhere here, or she can get a farmer to sign a letter saying they give her permission to hunt on their land(a lot of farmers will sell permission letters to cover the technicality) or if she owns more than 5 acres(from memory,but could be 10 acres) she can have them herself..including hand guns to use on her own property.that used to be the law there, but it could have been changed since i was over there last. but as long as she doesn`t have a crimminal record she can certainly get a gun licence...she will have to do a safety course...and get guns...28 day cooling off period from time of application until she can pick it up though.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan...... Why do dogs turn to the right in the USA when getting ready to lay down and turn to the left in Aussieland.[:D]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    ram- the apostraphe pointing downward is strictly an Australian disease that effects older males.. medical name is "Lowpeckertrosis"[:0]
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Are koalas as cute in real life as they appear to be on TV?
  • lvpattlvpatt Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dan kelly, should know he is in a very famous aussie outlaw. our newspapers and tv reporting are the worst of any where i have lived.(5 countries).excluding military service.
    esp where its presented that we have special rights that dont exist else where.

pat
    edited November -1
    larado...i have no idea..next time i see one i`ll have a look[:D][:D]

rocklobster...they smell real bad from all the eucalyptus leaves they eat, and when you see someone cuddling one of them it`s one that hads been bread in captivity...i would`nt advise picking one up to cuddle it if it`s a wild one[B)][}:)][B)]...it`s always been a dream of mine to see a japanese tourist try to pick a wild one up...i reckon the look on whats left of their face would say it all[:)]..they know how to use those long claws[V]...and they pee on you a lot too.

lvpatt...your media is the most biased iv`e ever known except for countries that are dictatorships...they tell a lot of lies, and when it`s pointed out to them that it`s lies they are spewing they don`t seem interested in correcting it[:(!][:(!][:(!]...and yes...dan kelly was a famous outlaw here...thats why i chose the name to use here[}:)]..the kelly gang took poop from no-one...i`m the same way[;)]