In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Safety on Colt revolver?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Nevermind - she had it custom modified to add a safety. She hadn't mentioned that fact before.

I was teaching a lady to shoot with a S&W revolver. She asked me if there was a safety. I told her that her brain is the only safety mechanism. [I did explain that the gun could not fire by being dropped on the hammer or by thumbing the hammer without pressure on the trigger.]

She told me she owned a Colt that had a safety in the release button. I've never fired a Colt revolver but I was not aware of this. Is it so, or is her memory wrong?

She had a Colt King Cobra 357, double action.

When I asked her to describe this "safety" she said sliding something on the cylinder release engaged/disengaged it.

I don't recall ever seeing anything like that on Colts I've looked at.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    My SAA Uberti has a safety in the pin that holds the cylinder in. You push it in one more detent and it blocks the hammer from striking the bullet.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    A "safety" on a revolver is the stupidest think I've ever heard of. Double actions have, like, a 20 ft. long trigger pull. SAs have to be cocked. They are the safest firearms on earth, and it is SIMPLICITY that makes them safe.

Non-gunners think safeties are for making a gun more safe. They are not. They are for carrying a chambered & cocked automatic. Arguably, safeties exist so you can carry a gun around in a less-safe manner.

Henry, your lady is confused. Your initial comment to her about her brain being the safety was spot on.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    not a safety , per se, but the earlier colts had something called the "positive lock" or "pocket positive safety. the SAA's don't have it but the colt cowboy, officers model, new army etc...do.
    It's a "bar" that's cammed to the trigger mechanism that drops out of the way (exposing the round to the firing pin) when the trigger is pulled.
    colt advertised it as a "safety" but its more like the transfer bar mechanism on ruggers after 1972.
    yes, I know the transfer bar mechanism moved up INTO the path of the hammer and the firing pin was in the frame, but you get the idea.
    newer models, python etc, have no "safety" of any kind.
    tom
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Henry:

I've owned a bunch of Colt double action revolvers, wish I still had them all. Made between 1900 and around 2004.

None had any sort of a safety as described. Think that she may be a little confused.

BTW. Good point made that the best safety is between your ears.
  • BT99BT99 Member Posts: 1,043
    edited November -1
    On the real technical side, Colt revolvers do have a "safety".
    Colt calls the transfer bar a "Safety" You know, the bar that comes up in front of the hammer.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    henry, i just bought a colt new frontier .22 saa revolver and it has a safety bar that you move across to block the hammer..it is inside the loading gate, when you pull the hammer right back it releases it. she might be talking about that type of thing. the revolver was made from 1982 and was made for a few years,and i read somewhere that it was fear of being sued that caused colt to put it on their revolvers. either way, mine certainly has it.