In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer problem.

EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
So about 2 months ago my 3 year old Acer Aspire 5600U computer had a breakdown. I turned it on and it now has a blue screen that says (RECOVERY Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc0000225. you'll need to use recovery tools. If you If you don't have any installation media like a disc or USB device, contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer) Is this something I may be able to fix, or do I take it to the PC repair shop ? This is a big table top model. Any info would be helpful. Thank's. I am currently using my wife's old antique laptop to post this.

EvilDr235

Comments

• Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    go to your local Office Depot (take computer)...give to their tech...easy fix...you got a worm..
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    I respectfully disagree with Willie. Given the info shared you likely have a HDd failure. Boot sector is either corrupt or not accessible. Recovery is probably not in the cards, though there may be recoverable data on the drive.

If you have a Recovery CD, or if one of the "F" keys will allow you access to a recovery partition on the drive, then you at least have a chance of bringing the machine up. Otherwise I'd not spend any time or money on an obsolete piece of gear.

My background? Only 51 years in IT. Oh... And I'm not always right. This time I hope I'm not for your sake.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home Depot is good but it will cost about 150 IF it can be fixed. at least here at mine- $75. to hook up and about $75 IF they can repair. ymmv. maybe get new one?
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Grasshopper
    Home Depot is good but it will cost about 150 IF it can be fixed. at least here at mine- $75. to hook up and about $75 IF they can repair. ymmv. maybe get new one?

Home Depot fixes computers?
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last hard drive failure I had the local tech recovered 90% of what had been on it. It is def worth a shot

When I was handier and had a tower system I could boot it up off a separate hard drive and then try and access the bad drive with Dos.

F/Disk and such
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you take it in, open it up and make sure all the cables to and from the motherboard are on there nice and tight. That error could be caused by a cable getting loose.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you get a new machine DO NOT store any information on it.

Spend some cash and get a couple of external hard drives (like 3TB each) and save everything to them. When I save something I save it to both hard drives and that way I still have a copy should one take a dump.

I actually have one of them that is a NAS (Network Attached/Accessible Storage). I can access it from anywhere as long as I can get to the internet.

Do you want to go back to a tower or are you considering a good powerful laptop should you have to replace?
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good Luck.

I am typing this on MY Acer 5600U.

Love it!

Got it for 200 bucks at a pawn shop.