In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Aquestion for computer wizzes..

Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I want to hook up another monitor, How do I do it so I can have 2 monitors for one PC. Can I have 2 different programs on each screen or will it make one big screen?

Comments

• BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    You can choose if you want it to extend your desktop to second monitor or just mirror image. With the right monitors and video card you can make it so that 2 monitors display as one large screen. Saw a guy with 3 setup like that. Pretty cool if you like Flight simulator games and other 3D games.

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/articles/am5naGpvZA/Matrox_TripleHead2Go_test/

lots of different options depending on what you want to do an, of course, how much you want to spend.

With Mac or Windows you can add a video card (or install one with 2 outputs), plug in 2 monitors and have 2 separate displays to drap, say the GB forums to one and watch a DVD movie full screen on the other. Not very expensive and no need for extra software to install. Easy to setup right in the Mac system preferences or Widows Video Settings.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been my experience that "wizzing" on your computer does NOT work![:D]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Only done it under windows 2000, I assume xp is similar. You need either a dual head video card (one with 2 outputs) and support in the driver, or you need 2 video cards. The 2 vid card (or 3 or 4....) is easiest. Simply plug it in, load drivers for it, attach second monitor to it, right click on desktop, go to the last tab on right (where you adjust resolution) and you'll have the option of enabling it, what resolution to run it at, and where to position it in relation to your primary monitor.

On superior operating systems, it Just Works (Linux, Mac, BSD)
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might even try 3-4 of them to accomodate these wide-assed posts on this forum.
    [^]barto[^]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    How fortuitous for you! I JUST went through this exact thing. I have XP but this will work with any O/S.

This is the card that I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102814

It works great.

The 2 monitor card is a BAD idea, most system will not work correctly with 2 cards. It is NOT worth the hassle. Get the same card I did and go with it. Start to finish it was no more than 15 minutes.

You need to determine what kind of video card slot you have - AGP, PCI, PCI-X, etc and buy the appropriate card for it. Mine was AGP.

BTW: That card comes with 2 DVI ports so hopefully both of your monitors have DVI ports. If not, no biggie, it comes with one DVI to VGA adapter and you can pick up another for a few bucks at your local computer shop (or from newegg).

It also comes with an S video output for TV hookup.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,866 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by barto
    Might even try 3-4 of them to accomodate these wide-assed posts on this forum.
    [^]barto[^]
    Exactly!!
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most laptops have this capacity.

Neat for bidding. One screen for your bid, other to watch the action.