In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Prom Expenses, Wedding Expenses, etc

zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
edited July 2017 in General Discussion
So fortunately there was never even a discussion or debate in our family, everyone wanted simple proms and simple weddings, but good grief some folks just seem to expect to spend ridiculous amounts of money on these events. I had a co-worker who took out a second mortgage to pay for his daughter's wedding because he did not want to disappoint her. I don't think she had a clue he did that.

I was amused to read and not surprised that the divorce rate is directly proportional to the amount of money spent on weddings. The longest and happiest marriages track back to the most modest weddings.

Comments

• Options
    kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah that's cause some people realise you shouldn't spend a years salary on one day.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always wondered why women spend thousands of dollars on a dress they wear one time.

The guy goes out an "rents" a tux. How do you make a lifetime commitment to a woman in a rented suit of clothes?
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are more and more women now renting their gowns just like the guys are renting the tux.

Stupid to pay the amount of money some of these families do on weddings. One of our workers daughter just got married a few weeks ago and she said it was about $12K for the wedding.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its cheaper in the long run to RENT the woman.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by medic07
    There are more and more women now renting their gowns just like the guys are renting the tux.

Stupid to pay the amount of money some of these families do on weddings. One of our workers daughter just got married a few weeks ago and she said it was about $12K for the wedding.

If they did it for 12,000 they were rather frugal.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12K is frugal? Damn i was a cheapskate [:D]
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got married to Larry without the whole crazy OVERBOARD craziness and my girls know my thoughts on wasting money on that sort of thing. I'd rather hand them money to put down on a house than see it wasted on an event that is rarely anything but stressful.

I wore a nice cream colored dress that was something I could wear again if I wanted to. We rented a cabin at a local park and ordered a cake from a local bakery. The cake was hilarious. I didn't get it big enough to feed everyone and I had told the lady I wanted pink accents on it.....that thing looked like a 9 year old girl's birthday cake. It was fun. About 50 people showed up. I was expecting 30. The cabin had tons of these rocking chairs (like you see at Cracker Barrel.) We paused everyone's conversations to "have the wedding" They cleared out a space at the front of the room and we stood up there...when I turned to look at the crowd it was a sea of rocking chairs all rocking to their own beat. It was like looking out at a choppy sea!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine

no kidding. My son is getting married soon and I am spending more than $12,000 on the rehearsal dinner and honeymoon
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by e8gm
    I've always wondered why women spend thousands of dollars on a dress they wear one time.

The guy goes out an "rents" a tux. How do you make a lifetime commitment to a woman in a rented suit of clothes?

I can make a lifetime commitment standing there in my underwear or nothing at all. How exactly does what you are wearing correlate to your ability to make a commitment?
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When my daughter got married, I went to my safe and took out $10K. Offered it to them to go elope and use the money to get started with their life. She turned it down! I then took $5K off the table and told her the rest of the wedding was their problem. Her mom and I got married in my in-law's living room over 46 years ago. Can't see spending tons on a wedding (or a funeral).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

no kidding. My son is getting married soon and I am spending more than $12,000 on the rehearsal dinner and honeymoon

Honestly we are not cheapskates, but our son and his bride never had any expectations that we would pay for anything to do with their wedding. We did pay for a nice dinner out including the extended family but that was about it. I am still amazed at the expectations of some brides and even grooms. But guess that keeps the economy going. I think our son and his bride did probably spend $15k or more on their honeymoon, but they would be the first to say it would be ridiculous for us to pay for it. Their wedding was a nice family gathering on our back lawn, I then drive them around in one of my vintage cars for a day of touring before their honeymoon. Continually amazed, and guess we got lucky with our kids.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zvette
    quote:Originally posted by austin20

Honestly we are not cheapskates, but our son and his bride never had any expectations that we would pay for anything to do with their wedding. We did pay for a nice dinner out including the extended family but that was about it. I am still amazed at the expectations of some brides and even grooms. But guess that keeps the economy going. I think our son and his bride did probably spend $15k or more on their honeymoon, but they would be the first to say it would be ridiculous for us to pay for it. Their wedding was a nice family gathering on our back lawn, I then drive them around in one of my vintage cars for a day of touring before their honeymoon. Continually amazed, and guess we got lucky with our kids.

We actually wanted to do all the things we have done for our kids over the years, I can't think of anything I would rather spend my money on
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I went to the courthouse on a Friday afternoon and had a judge marry us with a few family and friends with us. Then we went to the Oregon coast for a week at my aunt and uncle's place. The money we didn't spend was used to buy her a nicer car than she had.

28 years in November. She drove the car for 14. [;)]

I have told my son he can get way more money to help with a down payment than he can expect for a fancy wedding. His choice.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wedding was very modest. My Church in Charleston for the wedding and reception. MrsFun wore her Mothers gown and our honeymoon was in the North Georgia mountains (on my dime as a college student working 2 jobs and going to school). We have been back to the same cabin several times for our anniversary. [8D]

My Girls know I have put money away for their Education. And they know fancy Weddings will not be funded by me. I'd rather put money into their future kids 529 or a house down payment than an expensive dress or a super expensive wedding.

And looking back to the OP comment, every super expensive wedding I have been to the marriage ended rather quickly. (There are a few exceptions, but they involve situations that I will not post here and are best left for afternoon soap operas....)
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to concur, CaptFun. The most expensive wedding I think I ever attended included the moment when a few of us left the reception and went out to the parking lot for a snort of something more potent than punch, and watched the bride opening her old boyfriend's zipper with her teeth...and proceeding from there.

Being miserable SOBs, we placed bets on how long the marital bliss would last. After guys picked 2-3-4 months, etc. I was laughed at with my choice of two weeks, but was declared the winner when the groom came out and began asking pesky questions... because that was when the fight started. [:D]
  • Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the invation comes I make vacation plans for that date immediately. Last 6 weddings 4 failures within 2 yrs
    Nephew lasted 16 mo.
    Glad I wrote him a big check [:o)] as the * left with 1/2 of everything- when the whore came with nothing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [quote[/quote] We actually wanted to do all the things we have done for our kids over the years, I can't think of anything I would rather spend my money on
    [/quote]+1 I have spent a lot of money on mine also and don't regret a penny. My daughter had a very modest wedding that wasn't real expensive though.
    [/quote]

I have no problem helping out when needed, for something important, like a first car or down payment on a house, or education (especially). It is the lavish weddings and nowadays even proms where folks spend such large sums of money that I find ridiculous. Guess our family just never really enjoyed "parties" all that much, so each to his own.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have cooked for many wedding rehearsal dinners the tab routinely was 25-35,000, the biggest was a reception at 54,000 {that was in 1997 dollars}
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buried my grandfather in a rented tux.......biggest mistake I ever made..
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I were married 54 years ago, yesterday in North Bend, WA. Her dress was a plain white cotton given to her by friends. I had a friend bake a cake. We picked ferns and wildflowers for the church. Paid the preacher (his first wedding) about $10, I think. A Trooper friend hosted a reception in his home, and we borrowed a 14 ft. travel trailer for a honeymoon at Sun Lakes State Park. It seemed to work. We're still married, have 3 children, 7 grandchildren and 3 1/2 great grandchildren.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brian98579
    My wife and I were married 54 years ago, yesterday in North Bend, WA. Her dress was a plain white cotton given to her by friends. I had a friend bake a cake. We picked ferns and wildflowers for the church. Paid the preacher (his first wedding) about $10, I think. A Trooper friend hosted a reception in his home, and we borrowed a 14 ft. travel trailer for a honeymoon at Sun Lakes State Park. It seemed to work. We're still married, have 3 children, 7 grandchildren and 3 1/2 great grandchildren.

Perfect! You remember the day and the details and no one was disappointed. So much better in so many ways than an elaborate and expensive event. Everything you list is so great and meaningful.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the BEST weddings are the really unusual ones.....that whole slow walk in a big white dress thing has been beaten to death. It is not special in any way.

I saw pictures of one where they had it in a zoo....they didn't "rent" the zoo or anything. It was just a standard day for the zoo. The couple had met at the zoo and wanted to have their ceremony by the elephants....so they did. It looked awesome!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I had a simple small church wedding in her home church .Relatives helped decorate and cook etc .Total cost was around 500 bucks or less . Know of one recent wedding that just the reception went over 15k utterly stupid imho
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been to $2000 weddings, $200,000 weddings, unusual/weird weddings and very traditional weddings and there is no guarantee on any of them.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think my wedding ran us about $3,000 total...Church & pastor fee, her dress and my tux, gifts for the wedding party (my guys all got Swiss Army "Ranger" knives with their names engraved on the locking main blade), food for 100, dance floor and DJ fees, photographer, booze, etc.

Reception was in her grandmas back yard, which was the best place to fit everyone.
  • Options
    tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Just got done giving my daughter a big wedding.
    spent about 14 grand on it not counting what his parents spent on there part.
    Yes its hard to let that much cash go for no more then a half day of partying and I even tried to get them to take the cash but I think its most girls big dream.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I were married on the sand on Ft Myers beach, under a palm tree, by a real estate agent. Talk about cheap?
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Wonder My Suit was my Marine Dress Greens. Lasted about 3 years.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

What a scam !!! A buddy of mine spent apx. 40K on his daughters wedding ( his EX ) wife had a LOT to do with this mess !!! Money wasted !!!

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Its cheaper in the long run to RENT the woman.

You don't pay them to stay, you pay them to leave. [;)]
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Son got married 2 weeks ago to a Beautiful young lady.
    Last thing she wanted was to be "star for the day!". They wanted to get married at the courthouse in front of parents, Grandparents, and siblings.
    Her Father is one of 10, and they said NO.
    They picked a downtown Boston Irish Pub(her family is from Boston) had GREAT food. The Brides daughter(7) played Here comes the Bride on her violin, My son played a song on his acoustic guitar to his bride. No dry eyes were in the house!
    I paid for the band. We drank, danced, ate, and celebrated!
    The bride wore a beautiful dress she paid $20.00 for in a re sale shop.[;)]
    When the dancing started, she cut the "train" off with a pair of scissors she brought along![:D]
    13 from our side of the family and about 90 from hers!
    7 of the 8 Bride and grooms grandparents were there![:D]

A week later I went to a friends Sons wedding. 220 guests, and I'll bet $150,000+. Simply beautiful! But..........$$$$$
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    38 years ago my wife and stood before a judge and got married.
    $24 for the license, nothing to the judge he was paid with our taxes.
    $200 for a nice dinner with family and we are still married.
    Most of our contemporaries spent a lot more and over half didn't last.