In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone from the Sturgis area?

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited March 2013 in General Discussion
My daughter and he family went to bike week a couple of years ago and loved it there so much they now have sold everything and moved out there. She is a RN and is working at the VA hospital up there. Seriously thinking about doing the same, selling everything and moving out there in a couple of years when I retire.

My ? is, how is the gun laws out there, how is SD politics, how is the hunting, and how is the fishing? My problem moving out there is can I stay away from the ocean. My favorite fishing is salt water. What can I do with fishing rods with 200# braid on them? Way to many things to consider.[:0]

Comments

• fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    If U have seawater in your blood,as I do,it'll never work!![:D][8D]
  • cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Visit the area and see how you like it. We're not real close but have been there many times. Most folks are nice.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have been there several times for bike week. Living there and visiting are two different things. I can visit California and love the beaches. Having said that, I would never think about living there. To damn much government intervention in a person'e life.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

Yes I think this is part of the problem.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Could always visit Salt Lake City[8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy

Close Grumpy but,somehow I don't think the chances of hooking a Wahoo,Sailfish or a nice Mutton Snapper are too good in a "Salt lake"..[^]
    edited November -1

Close Grumpy but,somehow I don't think the chances of hooking a Wahoo,Sailfish or a nice Mutton Snapper are too good in a "Salt lake"..[^]

And there are no sharks to catch and of course no Volkswagen sized Blue Fin there either. And can't forget those doormat flounder. Listening to a Penn international 130's clicker screaming, well lets just say that's better than sex any day. [:0]
    edited November -1

And there are no sharks to catch and of course no Volkswagen sized Blue Fin there either. And can't forget those doormat flounder. Listening to a Penn international 130's clicker screaming, well lets just say that's better than sex any day. [:0]

WOW MAN!! U REALLY are into it...
    I'd say maybe,just maybe, a tie?[^]
    edited November -1

WOW MAN!! U REALLY are into it...
    I'd say maybe,just maybe, a tie?[^]

Middle of winter, sitting off the coast of Morehead City NC, chumming for that chance in a lifetime to hook up with a VW sized Bluefin. Nothing more exciting.

We were out in a 27' center console back a few years and the misses hooks up with a huge YellowFin. 50# International with 80 spectra on her rod. She grabs it and sets the hook and rams the lever drag up. She was lucky I was so close. She hit the transom and if I hadn't grabbed her she would be over board. LOL We have never let her live that down.
    edited November -1
    I used to use 80# test on my handlines,NO MORE!! I had to go down to #60.I couldn't break off #80 anymore and as U know,if U can't break it,U can't handline with it..[B)]

My handline rigs are #300 Flurocarbon with,now,#60 leader.Flouro as well.
  • dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i live 5 hrs east of sturgis...love it out there....our gun laws are very good..$15 conceal carry permit..good for 4 years..hunting...waterfowl and pheasant/whitetail east river...elk, pronghorn, mule deer, big cat west river..{state split by missiouri river}.. winters can suck...rally time can suck..{Too many people?] other than that, born, raised here and like it!
  • JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have lived in South Dakota for 20.years. I agree with dennis Johnson. It is a great place to live, hunt and fish. There are no saltwater fish but one you hook into a nice walleye, Northern Pike or a nice trout in the Black Hills you will have a whole new hobby. If you hunt There are Whitetail and Mule deer everywhere and antelope, Elk and the occasional bison to hunt. South Dakota is a very gun friendly state and many Gun And Ammunition manufacturers are in that area.
    quote:Originally posted by dennisjohnson
    i live 5 hrs east of sturgis...love it out there....our gun laws are very good..$15 conceal carry permit..good for 4 years..hunting...waterfowl and pheasant/whitetail east river...elk, pronghorn, mule deer, big cat west river..{state split by missiouri river}.. winters can suck...rally time can suck..{Too many people?] other than that, born, raised here and like it!
  • 50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could use your salt water tackle to snag paddlefish.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Born and raised in SD but east river. Been to the Sturgis area a few times. Good hunting and fishing in SD. Moved north one state but other then being flatter same hunting and fishing.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    My son and I drove through Sturgis in early April a few years back. If you live for bike week it might be a nice place to live, but the other weeks the place is stone cold dead! You can't hardly find a human being anywhere in the entire town. The scenery is beautiful though.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    My daughter and he family went to bike week a couple of years ago and loved it there so much they now have sold everything and moved out there. She is a RN and is working at the VA hospital up there. Seriously thinking about doing the same, selling everything and moving out there in a couple of years when I retire.

My ? is, how is the gun laws out there, how is SD politics, how is the hunting, and how is the fishing? My problem moving out there is can I stay away from the ocean. My favorite fishing is salt water. What can I do with fishing rods with 200# braid on them? Way to many things to consider.[:0]

Been to the Black Hills of SD many, many times.......lost count actually. [:)]

VA hospital is in the southern part in Hot Springs unless she is at the VA nursing home just outside Sturgis.

South Dakota is about the most friendly gun state there is. No law prevent carrying a fully loaded firearm openly or in a vehicle. Concealed Carry permits are 'shall issue' so easy to get from sheriff at a cost of $15 (I think) for 4 year term. Lots of hunting: ducks, geese, mountain goat, mountain lion, turkey, pheasant, white tail & mule deer, antelope, etc. Lots of prairie dogs for target shooting too. Always wanted to go to Custer State Park for the annual Buffalo Roundup in the fall. Maybe next year. NOT a fisherman - don't eat fish and don't fish but there are plenty of lakes and fish in the state but NO SALTWATER!!
    The area is lovely and known as the 'banana belt' of SD for the warmer weather in the winter, compared to the rest of the state.
    For more information, contact:
    http://tourism.sd.gov/ for tourism info

http://gfp.sd.gov/ for hunting/fishing/camping info

http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/south-dakota-gun-laws
    and
    http://sdsos.gov/content/html/adminservices/adminpdfs/2012/2012 SD Firearm Laws.pdf for Gun laws

Map of area:
    http://www.blackhillsbadlands.com/home/planyourtrip/maps

Black HIlls Real Estate
    http://www.realtor.com/blackhills/nbregion.asp

Oh, and South Dakota has NO STATE INCOME TAX [^]

Hope this helps. [:)]

Thanks for the info. Its a real help.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all who responded. I have a couple of years before I retire and that will give me time to visit at times other than just during bike week. My daughter's family will have settled in by then and will know the score.

My daughter actally lives a little south of Sturgis and works at the VA hospital near Hot Springs I think.