In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Estimate Deer Weight;

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,065 ******
edited October 2015 in General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty fair site on estimates.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    My folks ran a locker plant for a number of years. As a general rule we figured about a 50% return on a dressed carcass. This varied by species of course.

Deer would come in to us field dressed. If asked to estimate live weight we'd add about 30%. If asked about edible yield we'd deduct the hide and and cape along with allowing for wound damage. Usually between 40% and 50% of fully dressed weight would be an accurate estimate.

Each animal is different of course. A corn fed deer will have considerable fat deposits which are waste. Wound patterns go from minor meat damage to major destruction of otherwise edible portions of the animal. Poorly nourished deer yield very little edible meat and field dressing can be pretty hit or miss.

Lots of variables. Best to say that under ideal conditions a 140 pound deer on the hoof might be expected to return about a third of standing weight in edible meat.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Very interesting,thank you for the post Joe.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess it's time I quit telling people that all my deer have been an even 250 dressed...

I also fish a lot too.[:I][:D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.