In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Your opinion- Stoeger Llama 1911A1

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Recently stumbled over one at a price I could not turn down ($200) Pistol is in "like new" condition- bluing 100&, incredibly tight. Does not look like it has shot more than a couple of rounds. Ran a half box of ball thru it (Damned cold day!) and it shot OK.

I know that Llama of Spain is no longer in business, and that quality could be a sometimes thing with them, depending on time frame. I know this is not a Colt Govt model- also know I did not pay Govt Model price.

Anybody actually OWN a a Stoeger Llama, and your opinion of same? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,675 ******
    edited November -1
    I don?t know if it?s a Stoeger, but I have a Llama .45. It will not feed two cartridges in a row. The slide stop pin broke, it is potmetal. Though they look the same, standard 1911 magazines won?t work in it. I would not turn down $100 for it.
    It sure is pretty, though.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,675 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Mine looks like this one:
    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/741151429

I had one also, as well as a commander size 9mm. Never fired the .45, but the 9mm was a fun shooter. real lite polish on the feed ramp and it would gobble up Federal hollow points without a hitch.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No fan of any LLama products. In the same category as RG. Will leave it at that.
  • Options
    evileye fleagalevileye fleagal Member Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Mine looks like this one:
    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/741151429
    mine too. I like it, the only trouble it gave is when it was dirty. added a spring kit.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a full size 9mm version years ago for $157 at a gun show. Never jams but I only shoot fmj or Hornady Critical Defense in it. Buy a Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick or Mec Gar Mag and you should have a fun range toy. You WILL get hammer bite from these guns so maybe put a bandaid on the web of your hand before shooting it. IMO these are just cheap range toys and not something I?d use for carry or Home Defense except in a last ditch effort. Mine has never jammed but still it?s no Colt or Ruger quality 1911.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx, gents- and yes, I look at this one as a plinker. For SD I have a ParaOrnance and a Browning Hi-Power (and some very functional 357s) Have not had any hammer bite from this one YET.

Definitely not pot metal, standard mags run OK. After I run about 300 rounds thru it will see how it is doing, may do a feed ramp polish. Finish of the rest of the gun is pretty good- have seen more machining marks on a Rock Island. Have been issued looser guns.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember, you get what you pay for.

I had a Stoeger 32 ACP Lama. I bet my life on it from time to time.
    When it comes to 45 ACP 1911A1s I bet my life on US GI rebuilds. (and the odd Kimber and Colt)
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Major Julian S. Hatcher gave the Llama a good writeup in his 1935 book in which he mentioned "a new firearm called a Llama" had been submitted to the Spanish Army for evaluation and had passed every test given it. Astra and Star remained the favorites of that period however.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 380 Llama and it is a great little gun. I paid 80 dollars around 1984 or so. It was the first pistol i ever bought.

I was 18 and bought at the base right after basic training. I still have the gun.

Mine shoots good and feeds good. The guy i bought it from was low on funds and beer was more important than the pistol.
  • Options
    dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not know if mine is a Stoeger or not. It is not written on the gun anywhere.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Llama Mini Max .40S&W that I have had for close to 20 years now. I traded a Ruger P90? .45acp even up for it because I hated that Ruger.

I have shot cheap target ammo, high & defense ammo and lead reloads out of it, I have shot it fast, shot it slow, as fast as I can pull the trigger or steady aimed shots and never, not ince has it failed in any way. I can hit pop cans at 25 yards with it and have hit large steel at 100, it is cheap, accurate and reliable.

The 1911 snobs scoff at this thing, many will claim they are jam-o-matics even though they have never fired one but will always tell you about a freinds cousins best friends father in law that had one and died in a brutal attack because his Llama failed. I trust mine with my life and have zero worries about carrying it and depending on it.

So yeah, it?s cheap, it?s not a Kimber but it has functioned just as well as any $1000 1911 and in some cases performed better.
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never like the vent rib on them. What I missed out on was a Star PD.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,800 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    Never like the vent rib on them. What I missed out on was a Star PD.

+1
    The Star PD was a winner. You have to change bumpers or buy an aftermarket drop-in spring assembly, but the PD was ahead of its time. I like mine.