In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Had Lunch With My Uncle Yesterday

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
I may have mentioned my uncle Lloyd before. Retired attorney, former U.S. Navy pilot. He said when he learned of my birth, he was at sea, perfecting his carrier landings.

I remember being at my grandparents' place one summer. I was maybe 3 or 4 years old. My grandfather checked his watch, and asked me to come outside with him. We stood in the front yard, my grandfather searching the sky. In a few minutes, here they came, two jets flying overhead. They were F9s, either Cougars or Panthers, I don't recall which. They flew out of sight, just cruising. Once out of sight, they did a 180 and came back over, this time really honking it on. Back then, jets went supersonic a lot, and no one really complained about the boom. It was LOUD. My grandfather said, "There goes Lloyd." The pilots were Lloyd and his wingman on a "training" mission, just clowning around. Back in the 1950s, I reckon they could get by with more horseplay than now.

His older brother, my father, died when I was quite young. Lloyd didn't step in to take his place, but he did spend some time with me. The first .30-06 I ever shot was his, and I still have the Winchester model 37 shotgun he gave me when I was 11.

I don't see him often. He lives a few hours away, and he drove down just to visit, maybe for the last time.

Lloyd is in his early 80s now, and has cancer. He said that he was given options: Surgery, chemotherapy, etc. He decided that, at his age, he would decline and let Nature take its course.

He brought me a gift. A minty Browning Hi-Power, in the zipper bag, that he bought new sometime around 1970. I don't know how to describe my feelings about the gift. It's a really nice gun that anyone would be proud to own, but I wish Lloyd would stick around a while longer and enjoy it himself.

Comments

• Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glad you got to spend some time with your uncle. May I suggest you think of an excuse to head his way some time soon? Maybe take that BHP with you, and going shooting one more time.

Prayers for everyone from here.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Browning 9MM.....your Uncle Knows a good firarm...my favorite.My son was a naval aviator , and now an Attorney. Your Uncle sounds like he is a credit to society.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He is getting the house in order. Hard to fool folks on cancer. He knows and has watched the others before him take all the treatment and live just a few more days. He thinks a lot of you to do such a gesture and sort of his way to say goodbye.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a wonderful gift to receive. To me, a gun is as personal as it gets. What a great treasure and heirloom.
    Maybe in the next week or two, you should go visit him!![;)]
    I'm very happy for you.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great story
    I agree take some time and go visit him , I am sure the fly over story has been told many times but one more will not hurt of how that was a wonderful time for you , I am sure he enjoyed doing it also .
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with the others, an eighty year old man with terminal cancer drove down to see you and have lunch and brought you an heirloom gift.

Regardless of how busy you are take a day or two and go offer to help him out with a small project around the house (clean gutters or something) or just another lunch.

As you say it may be the last time and he'll know how much you appreciated the visit.

You are retired now :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    catgunguycatgunguy Member Posts: 6,089
    edited November -1
    Thank you for sharing your story. I am sorry about your Uncle. It sounds like he is quite a man.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you be lucky to have such a relative...who seems to think highly of you...actually two lucky guys ...better get come visiting in ..time may shorten up to quickly
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prayer for your Uncle. Sounds like a true gentleman. Find or make some time to go visit him now that you are retired. I wish I had done that with a few close relatives. Thanks for sharing David. Oakie
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like he enjoyed the idea of having that gun for so long and giving it to you even more so.
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    God bless all the uncle Lloyds. I will be praying for him .
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like your Uncle Lloyd did it all during his life. Hate to hear you'll be losing him soon. It sounds like he really cares for you.

My Uncle Thomas was my mentor. He took me hunting and fishing when I was a kid and taught me how to reload. There wasn't much he couldn't do and he was my best friend. He moved to Mississippi when I was 15 years old and I didn't get to see him very often after that but we stayed in touch. When he died I went to his funeral and the next day I was back home when my step aunt called and said "I forgot to mention it to you at the funeral yesterday that your Uncle said he wanted to make that I gave you his guns when he died". She ask do you want them? I was almost in her drive way before she got the phone hung up. I only hit the high spots between Montgomery, AL and Jackson, MS on my way. I got all the guns that my Great Grandpa and Grandpa owned plus my Uncles that I had grown up shooting and hunting with. He had kids of his own but my Aunt said that my Uncle told her that any of the other family members would sell the guns except for me. He was right I'll never sell them. I'll just pass them on to my youngest son since he is more like me than any of the other kids.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good man who has led a full life. Anyone posting on this forum is into guns and appreciates an heirloom. I'd give anything to have even one of my dad's guns.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember you talking about him a lot. I think I met him long time ago.