In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

17HRM

A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Anybody else shot one of these things yet? Most amazing thing I've ever encountered in the field of firearms!! Absolutely accurate and deadly in its range. That range according to GHD would be 200 yards or less. After about 150-160 its falling pretty fast and slowing down faster!! There will be a couple different bullet choices in the next year, I'd be willing to bet on that!! But if they can exhibit the accuracy of these 17gr heat seeking missles, they will only elevate this little beast!!! GHD

Comments

• A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Buddy has a permit to thin the deer in a neighboring state. He wanted to borrow my 17HRM for his endeavors. Watched him work.

He used it yesterday evening, got 3. Made them DRT (Dead Right There). Glassed them to be sure they were not nursing young and went to work.

Head shots at 150 to 200 yards.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    not a big fan of the round. To light to shot up here in ND. we have way to much wind up here. I had one to use for * and yotes and had to get rid of it. I coulnt emagine someone using this round of deer.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    AJ- Every time I pick up a box am amazed how LIGHT they are. Makes me check to see if theres any in the box. What kind of load he shooting[?] hp-fmj-red tp[?]
  • hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive seen the red tips do some seriours damage on yotes.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    CCI hollow points.

Had an old satellite mount out back made out of schedule 40 pipe that was used to check zero. Cratered it.

Tears up the rabbits that raid the wifes garden pretty good, or bad, depends how you view it.
  • VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    In my opinion, it's a wicked little bullet. I don't doubt that a .17
    HMR will take out a deer with a well placed 'ear' shot, but here in
    Georgia, it has to be a center fire cartrige for deer. (If your
    talking about being legal) But the little bugger will just about
    dispatch anything at the right distance. I'd hate to get shot with
    one[:D]