In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm stupid, I got a question

VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
edited March 2010 in General Discussion
Is the BBB (Better Business Beauru) a govn't enity?

Comments

• Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    no,it is steel shot for geese.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    Nope! Private organization that has no authority to do anything. Companies LAUGH when you threaten to call them. I know! I used to laugh!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So their reports are accurate?quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    Nope! Private organization that has no authority to do anything. Companies LAUGH when you threaten to call them. I know! I used to laugh!
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71

Not always "accurate". It is kind of like having a dispute with someone, and they flame you on a public forum. I have seen many false reports filed, but also legitimate. I think it is a crap shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Interesting comments, thank you
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    My dad did a very short stint as a salesman for the BBB. He came away with the impression that they are like those "Who's Who..." invitations you get in your email sometimes. You can put their logo on your door, but in a town this size, word of mouth is really a far better barometer of who is good and who is a crook in the business community.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71

Not reliably. They strong-arm companies to join and when they do not, they make them look less than favorable. 98% of people that use the BBB contact them AFTER they have a problem and by that point, they already will no use the company again.

I worked for a company that the BBB wanted to join. We did not and they gave us mediocre reviews and said we didn't respond to complaints. We didn't repond because we didn't recognize the BBB as any kind of authority.

On the flip side, if you were a member, they would give good reviews as long as you responded to complaints, favorably or not.

So they are really useless unless the company you are seeking something about or from are members. And then the only good you get is if the company has agreed to BBB mediation in the case of complaints.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I noticed when I went searching for what I'm looking
    for, I noticed that some firms had the BBB shield and boasted a very
    good score. There was one that did not have the BBB endorsement that
    I contacted on the telephone. They have been hounding me to use
    their firm. I still haven't negotiated a price, but I have gotten
    the price of their service lowered. I checked the company with the
    BBB and they give them a score of F. I'm not gonna use them, the
    guy that I am in contact with sounds like a crook.quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    My dad did a very short stint as a salesman for the BBB. He came away with the impression that they are like those "Who's Who..." invitations you get in your email sometimes. You can put their logo on your door, but in a town this size, word of mouth is really a far better barometer of who is good and who is a crook in the business community.