In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stamp Full Auto on Firearm?

MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
edited January 2009 in General Discussion
Is it ok to stamp Fullauto at the selecter switch of a semi auto ar15?

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Why would you want to? Is it full auto or are you just trying to look cool? Seems that if it isn't illegal stamping Full Auto on a semi auto rifle would just give the LEOs something to hassel you about.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see HK's with "clipped and pinned" 3position lowers all the time, they look like full auto lowers but aren't ... or at least aren't supposed to be.

As above ... if noticed by leo, it would just give them a reason to hassle you.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimberkid
    I see HK's with "clipped and pinned" 3position lowers all the time, they look like full auto lowers but aren't ... or at least aren't supposed to be.

As above ... if noticed by leo, it would just give them a reason to hassle you.

Yea, it's big in the HK community to have the full auto or burst symbol on semi autos, basically guys just dreaming of owning a sear I guess.

+2 on the LEO hassle, if you run into a cop who is not gun savvy, but thinks he is you are likely to lose your gun for awhile until they figure it out.
  • Options
    mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think some working replica tommy guns are labeled that way too.

Hopefully all those guys will realize that they actually do have a right to own those Full Autos...
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MVP
    Is it ok to stamp Fullauto at the selecter switch of a semi auto ar15?

YES!

CP
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Thanks.
    I am not planning on doing it, but after reading the fake silencer thread and wondering why anyone would want one, other than to replicate a certain battlefield weapon, the thought crossed my mind about replicating a full auto m16 by stamping next to the selecter switch.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, as I get older, my memory is not what is used to be, so I checked tm 9-1005-249-10 to be sure- the M-16 is not marked "full auto". Selector switch markings are SAFE, SEMI, and AUTO.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    11b6r, I have to try to think back 35 years but I seem to recall that "burst" was also an option in the military M-16s in the early 70s. I am not a AR crank, so have not kept up on later developments. Did the selector originally say "auto-burst-single-safe," or some similar arrangement? How's the memories of the various other old farts on this site?
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    FYI, the "burst" option was a three-round group. Kinda cool, saved ammo.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uncle Sam went to the tri-burst, since that is what you are SUPPOSED to be doing with an AR. There are only 3 settings. No bang, bang, bang-bang-bang. Even on Tri-burst, I THINK the marking was still AUTO. If you copy and past the TM number on my earlier post, it will take to to the Tech Manual (operator level) for the M-16 and M-16AI. Take a look at it. Hung up my issued M-16 in 1989, so I had to take a look. Not sure, but THINK the A-4s are marked same same.
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    all the atf cares about is actual function, not cosmetics. if there are no auto fire control parts, you're good to go.

now, ignorant local yokels who dont know that laws may give you some crap about it. ive never been hassled at the range, but then again im responsible and safe in my shooting activities(note, im not saying anyone here is any different. just saying i dont give cops a reason to hassle me).
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've seen AR lowers with the HK print selected fire positions on them even though its only semi auto for sale on gunbroker.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=119684296
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    11b6r, I have to try to think back 35 years but I seem to recall that "burst" was also an option in the military M-16s in the early 70s. I am not a AR crank, so have not kept up on later developments. Did the selector originally say "auto-burst-single-safe," or some similar arrangement? How's the memories of the various other old farts on this site?

The military versions of the M16 family of weapons have only been "safe-semi-auto" or "safe-semi-burst". They have never been a four position switch. Not in any fully fielded version anyway.

The "burst" option came out in the A2 version. Please don't ask me what year it was!
  • Options
    Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

The military versions of the M16 family of weapons have only been "safe-semi-auto" or "safe-semi-burst". They have never been a four position switch. Not in any fully fielded version anyway.

The "burst" option came out in the A2 version. Please don't ask me what year it was!

I turned in my A1 for an A2 in 1990. I suppose the full time frame is within a year or two of that as it probably took a couple years. The Army can't do anything in a hurry except form a line to wait.
  • Options
    watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    I stamped (Hollywood Magazine) on my 30 round mag, now I never run out of ammo. [^]
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59

The 4 position switch is aftermarket, S-e-B-F, and has a little thin metal stick on plate you put over the current select levels. I recall Tapco selling them, and I think I've also seen them in some old bushmaster catalogs too.
  • Options
    wvduecewvduece Member Posts: 272 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    that reminded me of when i use to own a dirt track car on our fuel tank we had a decal that said alchol only in big red letters ya wouldnt belive the people that raised all kinds of hell over that especially when we would win it run on 93 octane fuel