In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got the blank wood going....AMAZING uncut Claro

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,687 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
https://www.GunBroker.com/item/742870345

Here ya go guys......its one of about a dozen he has, more to come if this one does what it should.
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gonna have to watch this one. I have a few blanks I don't even know how to price. One is a beautiful Birdseye Maple that is over fifty years old.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking around at various websites that sell stock blanks you will get an idea of what the asking prices are on these things.

I saw several that didn't have anywhere near the amount of detail this one has with prices over $1500.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    damn! i wish i had actual money.......
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That item may languish for some time...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc

For LF's sake I hope we are wrong, but I suspect you are correct.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I wish her well on that one....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    quote:Originally posted by wpageabc

For LF's sake I hope we are wrong, but I suspect you are correct.

This is one of those things I'm just trying out for someone. He has a gallery and does a lot of custom work. He has a number of these things that he has had for many years and he knows he will never need all of them. As far as prices on these go he is letting it go for around 1/2 the asking price.

He makes everything....custom work, tables, bowls, gun stocks, and his gallery is filled with things from other local artists. Right now he has been working on blacksmith items.....mostly belt buckles that he makes by folding thick wire and hammering it out into the buckle. Its really cool to see what all he can do.

The last time I was out there he was working on a HUGE column. He has one of the only wood lathes in the US that is big enough to do that. You think you've seen it all.....and run into someone turning a column for a house on a wood lathe.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,961 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldemagics
    damn! i wish i had actual money.......

No worries, she takes plastic.[:D]
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened to the .01 cent start and letting the free market dictate what it is actually worth?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by swearengine
    What happened to the .01 cent start and letting the free market dictate what it is actually worth?

99% of the time that is best.....this market is a bit smaller, so we will start it at a STEAL and see if anyone grabs it up.
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork

. . . snip

The last time I was out there he was working on a HUGE column. He has one of the only wood lathes in the US that is big enough to do that. You think you've seen it all.....and run into someone turning a column for a house on a wood lathe.

I have a "slightly smaller" version. I turned these for a custom home theater I built for this house. These went inside, but I am pretty sure I could have turned some for the outside. [:D]

8CZbUjb.jpg?1
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice looking wood!

I would imagine this is a niche market and it will take a while for word to get around.

Imagine the wood is 1K how much to turn it into a rifle stock? 2K?

wow
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

. . . snip

I have a "slightly smaller" version. I turned these for a custom home theater I built for this house. These went inside, but I am pretty sure I could have turned some for the outside. [:D]

8CZbUjb.jpg?1

That looks AWESOME!!!
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by US Military Guy

. . . snip

That looks AWESOME!!!

Thanks!

They sold the house just before Christmas. Now I am remodeling their condo. No room for a home theater. [V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It won't bring the price you are asking because it is not exhibition or presentation grade.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just putting it out there for what the guy wants for it.

I've had a few emails on it asking prices on having it cut and fitted to guns and I've just passed along the owner's contact info so he could answer those types of questions.

Its a LOT better looking in person. Its hard to take pictures of wood and show the potential from a blank.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    US Military Guy: That IS awesome!
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,672 ******
    edited November -1
    I knew a guy at work who took a blank piece of walnut and whittled a shotgun stock.
    With a pocket knife.
    He got it down to almost finished and sanded it smooth.
    Looked better than original.
    I bet he?d like to get hold of LF?s piece.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love wood and this is a beautiful piece. I wouldn't spend that much on it, but not because it's not worth it, I just don't have the use that justifies that much for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just putting it out there for what the guy wants for it.

I've had a few emails on it asking prices on having it cut and fitted to guns and I've just passed along the owner's contact info so he could answer those types of questions.

Its a LOT better looking in person. Its hard to take pictures of wood and show the potential from a blank.

You can wet the blank with a damp cloth to raise the grain but you can't turn it into something it is not. Also there isn't such a thing as hidden quality. Its either there or it isn't.