In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sold my first gun on Gunbroker!

BrassnadzBrassnadz Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited November 2008 in General Discussion
Greetings Yall. Well I sold my first gun on Gunbroker and was contacted by the buyer, and we will be starting the transaction on Monday. I have a question about shipping. Several different folks contacted me during the auction with interest, but due to the cost of shipping, they didnt bid. Am I correct in that a firearm must be shipped via UPS or FedEx, and that it must be shipped overnight? There seems to be some confusion either on my end, or the buyers over this, as he has been told that it can be shipped by ground. I want to make sure everything is done legally and this is the first time I have ever sold a gun online, or through a FFL. I live in Texas, and here we can sell firearms face to face, just like you would sell anything else. My wife does the Ebay thing, but has never sold a firearm there as I dont think its allowed, so she doesnt know either. Im not illiterate when it comes to the net, but Im not that savvy either. If I remember right, I saw something on GB that said the shipping had to be overnight, and that USPS wont ship. The cost of shipping overnight compared to ground is significant, and since the buyer is paying for the shipping, it makes no difference to me how it ships just as long as its done legally.
Thanks for the great website, and if this sale goes as well as it has so far, I may consider using it again in the future.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,026 ******
    edited November -1
    You can ship a long gun by USPS, but if it is a handgun, you are stuck with FedEx or UPS and you will pay extra for next day delivery.

You can also transfer the handgun to a friendly FFL dealer in your area, and he can then ship it USPS to the receiving dealer.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on your first sale. When you determine the shipping cost, maybe it will help estimate when you sell again. I don't really care to sell handguns just because it costs so much to ship, but like Nunn mentioned, you might be cheaper getting a local dealer to ship the gun off than you will going to Fed-ex or UPS...

Good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One of the guys that was interested lived in Washington State, and the shipping would have cost $75. Its a handgun, so to be clear, it does have to be shipped through UPS or FedEx overnight? Maybe his FFL wasnt clear on the handgun part. I didnt know USPS would ship long guns. Good to know for future reference.
  • Options
    hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    and you didn't post a link so we could bid on it..........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I didnt read the part about USPS shipping handguns through FFLs. Like I said, as long as its legal Ill ship it however he wants to pay. The above mentioned price was shipping through a local FFL, and included the transfer on my end.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry I didnt post a link while it was up. I just now figured out how to log into the forum. I though it used the same login as my Gunbroker account, and didnt know I had to create a new one for the forum. In the future, I will do so, but right now, Im hanging on to all my arms as they are all on the "evil" list. Its unbelievable that two months ago I got two brand new Romanian WASRs in the box for $675. The same store wants almost that for one now. I used to do alot of business with them, but I told them that I was gonna remember the gouging when the hysteria dies down and go elsewhere.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Brassy-How much would it cost the gunshop to replace that gun[?]
    Now[?]Today[?]
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to GB!!! On regards to your question I feel that a flat rate shipping charge is best. That way the potential buyer knows the exact cost of the total purchase. I understand that not everyone does it this way but being in Oregon I figure the maximum cost to ship across the US. The majority of the cost is in the registration and handling. It seems to cost approx. $28 to ship to the midwest and only $35 to the east coast(insured) on most of the guns that I have either shipped or received (mostly shotguns +/-$1200). I always ship insured through Fed Ex whom I think is the best and cheapest. Their basic upfront cost seems to be a little higher but the cost per/$ amount seems to be cheaper. The shipment description should be explained in the seller's description on the original listing ad.