In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Halogen or LED?

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
Considering getting a tactical flashlight. Which is better the CREE/LED, Xenon or Halogen bulb? Is the bulb life longest with the CREE/LED? More battery life with the CREE/LED? What range of lumens would you recommend for an average guy?

BTW got my carry permit this week.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I put the LED upgrades in my Surefires. Twice as bright and they make the batteries las and last [;)]
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    Halogen/xenon are brighter and more debilitating. They also chew through batts like tic tacs

LEDs use less power, and produce less light. Adequate for most tasks, but substandard in terms of disabling. Distracting, sure. Interfering, ok. But not disabling.

So it depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan to use it more to find lost keys under the couch, go les or you'll go broke feeding it batteries
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    Canceled my questions and am doing a search of posts. There's a lot of posts there so the topic has had a lot of coverage and there's no use for the original post.

BTW got my carry permit this week.
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    I have an Insight Typhoon LED tactical light I carry on duty. EXTREMELY bright and when switched to strobe, it WILL disorient the crap out of a bad guy. Pricey, at $200.00, but, hey, I won it at a training seminar. The new, current LED are just as bright as any halogen/xenon, just go with 150+ lumens for brightness and find one with the strobe to distract/disorient.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I know things are changing fast in the LED world. Last year I was all set to buy a new LED light for duty carry. Well I am still bought and carrying a Xenon light.

I like LED's I really do and I own a couple. They are very bight in the right situations. If you look right at them they are bright. If you are in TOTAL dark they are bright. I have a problem with them when used in partially lit areas which is where I use mine most. The LED's have a different "color" to them and I dont feel like they light up an area that is partially lit very well.

I have had my 225 Lumen Surefire light out with guys that have the 200+ lumen LED lights to compare them. I dont want to look at the LED lights or even catch the glare off of them. When it comes to actually putting out light I like mine way better.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it seems to be that halogen/xenon are more focused in their beam then LED....I changed all the weapon lights on our MP5s and shotguns to LEDS because the lumens were higher than the older xenon bulbs plus the battery life.
  • Options
    dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like my LED lights for their battery consumption but they REALLY need to be focusable, and even then they seem to flood. If I need a beam to see 50ft plus its a no brainer to use my Surefire.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    LED for me! I have not tried the Cree brand, but the Surefire ones are great for me.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    LED if the bulb and lamp are properly coated to make the light whiter..

The Blueish color of the average LED wont shine as far as a white light, even if the LED puts out more energy then the white light.
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    this is not debatable LED
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Surefire say that their bulbs (Xenon) last about 30 hours (down to a lower quality - so they might last double that.)

Well, a good quality LED last 10.000 hours.

I put in CREE 260Lumen im my Surefire 6P - and batteries last much longer at 260Lumen, than with 65 or 120lumen incandecent (xenon).

I think it lasts about 20 minutes at 120, and 60minutes at 65lumen - and the LED is about 3 hours at 260Lumen.

Go for Panasonic PhotoPower CR123 batteries instead of Surefire's own.
    Higher capacity - and cheaper.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LED until a battery breakthru.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeffb1911 has surefire batteries for about $2.00 each.

CR123 batteries, never mix them, I have seen a light catch on fire when batteries have been mixed. I have heard poor reviews of chinese made CR123 batteries.
  • Options
    wartigerwartiger Member Posts: 3,861
    edited November -1
    One thing to consider is this.....Rechargable cr123 batteries will blow a standard halogen or xenon bulb. I know, I blew the bulb in my Streamlight Scorpion and my Surefire the second I turned them on.The initial power surge is too much for them. However, a LED can handle the rechargable batteries with no problem, thus GREATLY reducing battery costs.