In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which Dillon progressive should I get?

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in General Discussion
I'm thinking about getting into Reloading again. I haven't reload any ammo since the late 80s. I have a rock checker now, the really do want a progressive. I don't have the time to run a single stage press. That's why I got out of reloading

Anyway I think I'll buy it Dillon progressive press. And I'll probably only reload two or three hundred per month.

My question would be which Dillon press should I get were all I will be reloading is a couple of hundred per month, maybe four to five hundred during the summer. Keep in mind even with only loading a couple hundred a month, I don't want to take forever to reload them.

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you looking for just handgun ammo, of which most calibers can be loaded with the lower-priced Square Deal B, or are you throwing rifle rounds into the mix, where the 550 will probably suit your purposes.

The 650 are really nice, but they're awfully pricey.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the RL550B, good loader, can easily do around 500rds an hour without rushing.

The 650 is better but really wasn't a big deal to me to do another 100 or so an hour.
  • Options
    IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I want to get a 650. Go into Scheels and take a look they stock both the 550 and the 650.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    Are you looking for just handgun ammo, of which most calibers can be loaded with the lower-priced Square Deal B, or are you throwing rifle rounds into the mix, where the 550 will probably suit your purposes.

I'll probably loaded few rifle rounds,but not that many, will a square deal press
    Throw rifle rounds at all?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

I'll probably loaded few rifle rounds,but not that many, will a square deal press

The problem with the SDB press is that it doesn't accept standard 7/8 x 14 dies. So if you have dies that you used in your RCBS press you can only use them on the 550/650/1050 presses and not the SDB.
  • Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 550.
    It loads waaay faster than I can shoot.
    I shoot mostly handgun calibers and 223. It's perfect for that.
    With a 550, you'll knock out that couple hundred in no time & wish you had more to reload!
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the 550 and have been very satisfied. Thought about the 650 but could never justify the price.

I agree that the 550 can reload more that I will shoot.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

No, it uses proprietary dies that are built into the die-holder plate. I have one in .45 ACP that I bought many years ago but haven't set up yet (I got it to load .45 Super). You can swap pistol calibers by buying a new shell holder for the ram and die-holder plate for the press.

The 550 is a lot more versatile, especially if you already own reloading dies (And want to load rifle rounds). The 550 really isn't much more expensive than the Square Deal to get started.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for all the input. It gives me something to think about....
  • Options
    WMClarkWMClark Member Posts: 821
    edited November -1
    Get a 650 with a case feeder and never look back. In 20 years I have North of 400,000 rounds made with mine. I have had to replace a few small parts, and they sell a small parts replacement kit for about 30 bucks that has anything and everything that could wear out.

Before I bought mine I had Hornady and RCBS progressives. The Dillon has been better than the others have ever thought about being.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 650 and a 900. With those two I can reload rifle, pistol, revolver and shotgun ammo. They are awesome machines, and with Dillon's guarantee and customer service you can't go wrong.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not going to load many rifle I suggest you load those on the Rock Chucker and get the Dillon SQDB for pistol

I have 2 550 (1 for 223 and one for 9MM/45).
    I ran a SQDB for 12 years but it is more light duty 1-2K rounds a year and I was doing as many as 20K a year and often required replacement parts and a complete rebuild even had to replace the handle as i broke that.
    The 550/650 are way way tougher but I don't think that is relevant for your situation .

With what you want to load the SQDB sounds perfect.
    I love the way it works and takes up so little space. The proprietary dies are one reason it is so compact.

Now, if you load 5-6-7 pistol calibers and already have the dies then maybe the 550 would be better cause additional calibers in the SQDB will add over $100.00 each to the price
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 650, but I don't have one. I have 2 550's(One was given to me), One for large primers the other for small.

That is really the only hassle is changing out the primer feed and its not that big a deal.

Dillon customer service is legendary, I have called them 3 times and they squared me away with parts for free and advice on setting up stuff. They are the best I have ever used.

I have a friend with the Hornady progressive and he likes it but he is jealous of my Dillon's[;)]
    RLTW

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again for all the recommendations. I don't think I'll get a square d because I do lonesome rifle shells oh, and I have all dies already purchased.