In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Illinois CDL-B ?

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited September 2015 in General Discussion
Howdy folks,

I am applying for a job that requires a CDL-B license within 30 days of hire. Not being one who sits and waits, I am looking into getting the license anyway, as it will be an added benefit to my resume'. Does anyone here have one? What, in your opinion, is the best/Most efficient way to get one. I am not extremely knowledgeable on the process and am looking for some guidance from the more experienced amongst us.

I appreciate and thank you for your time.

Mike

Comments

• Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not from ILL but looked this up for you
    this link should give you a lot of the info you need

http://www.dmv.org/il-illinois/apply-cdl.php#Getting-a-CDL

get the book and study for the written test , then find out what you need to take the driving test in , where its a Class B may only need a straight truck or maybe a pickup and trailer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I downloaded the book today. Heading to the EVIL I'll DMV in the morning to talk with one of the "highly qualified....." Representatives. Prolly take 3 hours to have a 3-minute conversation with someone who doesn't have a clue. Our DMV has a less than stellar reputation, and they earned it.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    class b 26,001 pounds gvw , with trailer no more than 10,000 {over 10k must have class A}

any other endorsements are separate test, air brakes, hazemat, passenger and tanker

you will need a physical , you must pass it, no insulin , no high blood pressure unless under control, no pain meds

what do you plan on driving ?

edit: not all dmv's can issue a cdl
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A CDL is not just issued, there are tests that must be taken. Each endorsement is a seperate test, class of license dictates the road test and you supply the vehicle(s).

The CDL is under control if the FMCSA and they set the standards, no one state is different.

So depending on what you will be driving you may want to look into training at a certified school because you do not simply walk into the dmv and get a license. As mentioned you also need a med cert, not just a physical at the doctors office but there is a special form and card you need from the doctor, the state must have a copy of it to go on your driving record and if it expires and you do not get a new one and send the issuing state a copy you lose your CDL. If you will need hazmat you will need a TSA background check, this can take up to 90 days and you need it before testing for hazmat.

Now in my opinion if you need the airbrake endorsement skip the B and go right for the A, an airbrake B is so limited it makes it near worthless.

Also, just having it for your resume is really no good depending on the work you are looking for, you need verifiable steering wheel time to go with that CDL for it to be worth anything on a resume.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Big Sky Redneck
    A CDL is not just issued, there are tests that must be taken. Each endorsement is a seperate test, class of license dictates the road test and you supply the vehicle(s).
    * Roger That! Since I first posted I have taken the time to run through the 172-page Illinois CDL manual. LOTS of information to take in. A goodly amount I kind of already knew, but not even close to passing any test on it.

The CDL is under control if the FMCSA and they set the standards, no one state is different.
    * Didn't know that

So depending on what you will be driving you may want to look into training at a certified school because you do not simply walk into the dmv and get a license. As mentioned you also need a med cert, not just a physical at the doctors office but there is a special form and card you need from the doctor, the state must have a copy of it to go on your driving record and if it expires and you do not get a new one and send the issuing state a copy you lose your CDL. If you will need hazmat you will need a TSA background check, this can take up to 90 days and you need it before testing for hazmat.
    *Already have the med form and DR cert form printed and ready. Just need to set up the appt.
    *Pretty sure I won't need HAZMAT, but if I do I won't have a problem with the background check. Had a TS clearance for over 22 years and haven't done anything different the last three.
    *Clean driving record for the last 10+ years

Now in my opinion if you need the airbrake endorsement skip the B and go right for the A, an airbrake B is so limited it makes it near worthless.
    * Will be contacting the HR dept for the company I applied to tomorrow. They were closed today when I called, but the folks on the clock at the time I called say I need the Class B at a minimum.

Also, just having it for your resume is really no good depending on the work you are looking for, you need verifiable steering wheel time to go with that CDL for it to be worth anything on a resume.
    * I understand. However, the job description states that a CDL is preferred, or the ability/will to get one within 30 days of hire. Makes me think they just want their folks to have one just in case....

BSR - Thanks for the input. I truly appreciate your time and effort in responding. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    class b 26,001 pounds gvw , with trailer no more than 10,000 {over 10k must have class A}

any other endorsements are separate test, air brakes, hazemat, passenger and tanker
    * will find out what endorsements are needed tomorrow when their HR dept opens

you will need a physical , you must pass it, no insulin , no high blood pressure unless under control, no pain meds
    * No problem

what do you plan on driving ?
    * Not really sure. It's an Industrial Field Service Representative position for an Mettler-Toledo, an International Precision Measurement Equipment Company. Hopefully I'll get more info in the morning.

edit: not all dmv's can issue a cdl
    * Yeah...... The East St Louis DMV is the only one within two hours from me. I am THRILLED to have to go into that war zone for the testing.....

1911a1-fan, thanks for the info. I appreciate the fact that you took the time to reply.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..I've had an IL class B forever (it used to be called a "C". Read the book and take the air brake endorsement just to have it. It's not that hard. It sounds like you'll be testing scales. That's a pretty gravy job except when you have to crawl down into a scale with a pit under it. That's usually a job for the repair guys, not the testers. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    ..I've had an IL class B forever (it used to be called a "C". Read the book and take the air brake endorsement just to have it. It's not that hard. It sounds like you'll be testing scales. That's a pretty gravy job except when you have to crawl down into a scale with a pit under it. That's usually a job for the repair guys, not the testers. Good luck!

Well, the job IS to be the repair guy.....[:)]

Thanks for the "Luck".
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Accurate/Superior? used to be a good company back in the day.
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater

Well, the job IS to be the repair guy.....[:)]

Thanks for the "Luck".

..You should bone up on load-cell type scales. They have not nearly the moving parts that an old balance type truck scale. Involves taking weight blocks and placing them in various spots on the scale deck to see that all areas weigh the same from place to place.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something else you may want to look into before opting for a CDL is th CVSA scoring system and find out exactly how that will impact your insurance. CDL holders have a seperate points system that is far more damaging to driving records than to regular license holders. Even a written warning now has a negative impact on driver score.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:* Yeah...... The East St Louis DMV is the only one within two hours from me. I am THRILLED to have to go into that war zone for the testing.....

yes its off 157/161, not deep into the hood it borderlines Belleville and e stl, few miles from trouble and kind of isolated from the hood

my niece worked there for about 5 years, you'll get a bit of culture shock that's about it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan
    quote:* Yeah...... The East St Louis DMV is the only one within two hours from me. I am THRILLED to have to go into that war zone for the testing.....

yes its off 157/161, not deep into the hood it borderlines Belleville and e stl, few miles from trouble and kind of isolated from the hood

my niece worked there for about 5 years, you'll get a bit of culture shock that's about it

OH, I didn't 'mapquest' the address yet. I'm in that part of town all the time looking at houses. No big deal. I kinda figured the DMV office was smack dab in the middle of E. St Louis.
    No Big del. But go about 4 blocks West and it's another story.....