In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quality and reliability of Sig vs. Glock

lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Good evening gun owners.

I have been having a heated conversation for quite some time now with a good friend of mine. It is simple, quality and reliability of a Sig vs. Glock.

Now to be fair- I won't say which make I'm partial to.

So, I'm asking you folks will you please help me with my poll?

Which make is the better gun in regard to Quality and Reliability? The Glock or The Sig? Not any particular model, just as a manufacturer as a whole.

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Comments

• burdz19burdz19 Member Posts: 4,145
    edited November -1
    I'm going to grab some popcorn, sit back and watch this one hit the fan [:D][:D][:D][:o)][:o)][:D][:D]
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    What you are going to get is opinions so that really does not solve anything for you. Both are quality companies that sell millions of guns.

So tell me who makes the better car based on quality and reliability Ford or Chevy? The question you asked is no different.

Also keep in mind that the best in not just in quality but also the end user. Say a guy buys the Never Fail brand of gun but can not hit the broad side of a barn with it or is not the right size to carry all the time, does that make it the best gun for him? I say no.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
  • lovethemcoltslovethemcolts Member Posts: 536 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pass the popcorn. [:D]
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Sigs are in a whole differnet class than Glocks. They are the Rolex of handguns and you pay for that quality.

I have both and don't see how you can compare the two. Like trying to compare a BMW to a Toyota camry. Reliable but........lacking the class of the BMW.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SIG all the way. I have never seen one that had KB'd and only around 15 Gloooocks that have. This not by hearsay, but have seen one in person with factory ammo, and the rest were brought into my shop.

Lance
  • txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They both suck, buy an RG!
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How dare you use the word "Glock" in the same sentence with SIG.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All I know is every time I go to the range to re-qualify, the Gunners Mates from the Armory go on and on about what a pain in the butt the Sigs (Sig 229 .40) are because they're "maintenance intensive." Of course, they also go on and on about how good they shoot (and they do!) [:D]

Personally, though, I like the feel of a Glock better, and I think they're a bit more accurate than the Sig.
  • dbain99dbain99 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock and like it. Zero problems to report.
    Although I did talk to a friend of mine, US Marshall, that wittnessed a failure test between Sig, Glock and H&K. They finished in that order according to him. All were fired the same way with the same ammo with zero maintenance until somekind of failure.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compared to the sig 226

glocks are 12oz lighter. Shorter, Holds 2 more rounds in the standard capacity mag, and optional factory 33 rnd mags. they are just as reliable as a sig. Glocks have light rails standard these days, you dont have to pay extra

I'll take the glock.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

I'll take the glock.

Hmmmm, you haven't been to Texas lately have you?
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Have some of both. Can't fault either brand.

Well maybe so. SIG customer service suxs, arrogant people up there.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo
    quote:Originally posted by quickmajik

I'll take the glock.

Hmmmm, you haven't been to Texas lately have you?

Damn it.[xx(]
  • JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In reality, it comes down to choice. I say they are one in the same with a different look/feel.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sig make smoothe good shooting and very reliable gun with a higher price tag but handle one and you will see. Glock makes a great Handgun, the gun is very reliable but its not a SIG.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On balance I prefer the Sig. Better ergonomics and fit and finish. Also more accurate.

The glock is simple enough for a caveman to use, which is a good thing. It can survive torture and conditions most other guns would crumble under. The fact that it's chamber is not fully supported leads to problems with bulged or ruptured cases, which is a concern, but it happens relatively rarely. when it does happen, though, it can cause serious issues.

So in answer to your question: 1911.
  • zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dano
    I just wish that Jenning made a .45 with a rail. [:p]

Why not buy a Hi-Point then?

Lance
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DBV
    All I know is every time I go to the range to re-qualify, the Gunners Mates from the Armory go on and on about what a pain in the butt the Sigs (Sig 229 .40) are because they're "maintenance intensive." Of course, they also go on and on about how good they shoot (and they do!) [:D]

Personally, though, I like the feel of a Glock better, and I think they're a bit more accurate than the Sig.

I think everyone has a different opinion about the feel of a pistol and what they like. Thats a good thing, all the great choices out there for us. Its fantastic.

That said, I think most of the old gunslingers will tell you that a box stock Sig will shoot rings around any old Glock any day of the week. That is what they are known for, they have custom gun accuracy for a reasonable price.

You can shoot a 1-2" group at 25 yds with a box stock Sig 220 in 45 acp. I have yet to see anyone do that with a box stock glock 21, even a 3-4" group with the Glock is difficult to do unless you are a top competitor.

Put in a match barrel, a 3.5 trigger connector, and you might get that 3-4" group with stock sights. Its a top cop pistol, very reliable, not a top competition pistol, as is a Sig.
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would chose the sig but nothing wrong with the glock
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sold my Glock.

Bought a Sig and never lost any sleep over it.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    quote:The fact that it's chamber is not fully supported leads to problems with bulged or ruptured cases, which is a concern, but it happens relatively rarely. when it does happen, though, it can cause serious issues.

Someone mentioned above that they knew personally of 15 Glocks having this problem. All the data I have seen shows that if you stay away from hot reloads this should never be a problem. I have never seen it, nor do I know anyone who has. LE Agencies all over the US (world) carry Glocks, so I will do some searching to see about failure rates with factory ammo. I am betting it will be extremely small. Know your weapon and what ammo is ok. The guys that will put stuff in a Glock that it does not like to eat will do the same to any weapon they have and eventually cause a failure. You all know the type: the ones who somehow manage to use a nail gun on a roofing job to nail their foot to the roof.

I agree with several here. It is hard to compare these two. I carry a Glock because I need a weapon that is so easy a caveman could do it and can take whatever abuse I need to put it through. If I want sub 1" accuracy for a competition I do not plan on using my Glock.
    edited November -1
    First of all, thank you all for the great replies.

I bought a Sig 1911 GSR Triple T 1911 today. Showed my friend a picture of it and we get to talking on the phone and it's GLOCK, GLOCK, GLOCK- Like always with him.

Simply put he thinks there is NO better gun than a Glock and a Sig can't even compare to a Glock.

My wife carries a Glock 27 and I have shot it- she Loves it!
    I think it's a good gun for the money but it's just NO Sig.

I now have a Sig P239 and this new 1911... By the way I ran 200 rounds thru it tonight and it was just like I expected. A Cadillac.

I have Colts, Rugers, Beretta and other "Name" brand guns. Have just about shot everything and I think out of the Box, a Sig is as Fine of a gun one can buy.

Thanks again for all the comments. Keep your thoughts coming in as I enjoy reading them all.
  • crash2usafcrash2usaf Member Posts: 4,094
    edited November -1
    Like my sig, love my S&W M&P 40 though...

Cant compare the two like comparing the beretta m9 with the 1911... 1911 hands down is the better gun.. Sig is a whole different animal than glocks

now if you were to compare Glock to XD to M&P then that would be a little better-but also beating a dead horse..

For me if it goes bang then I like it
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8071085

You Sig worshippers might want to read this from the SIGFORUM[:0]

Maybe a crack or 2 in the SIG alter[?]
    edited November -1
    Now, I do have a fondness for my Glock, but anyone who says "GLOCK GLOCK GLOCK" to any data comparison with other weapons is just plain ignorant to the facts.

I too have Beretta's, S&W, and on occasion I will refuse to return my buddies Sigs until I have expended all my ammo when we go to the range together.

The right tool for the job. Works in firearms as well as carpentry.

Take your friend to the range and let him get some time behind your Sig. He'll mellow out and he can still feel justified in carrying / owning his awesome Glock as well.

Glock 1000 round torture test 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_JuF23qazI&feature=PlayList&p=76D6D94E140C4FDF&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    On balance I prefer the Sig. Better ergonomics and fit and finish. Also more accurate.

The glock is simple enough for a caveman to use, which is a good thing. It can survive torture and conditions most other guns would crumble under. The fact that it's chamber is not fully supported leads to problems with bulged or ruptured cases, which is a concern, but it happens relatively rarely. when it does happen, though, it can cause serious issues.

So in answer to your question: 1911.

+1 I'll take a 1911.

Now, If all I could own was a Sig. I'd take a Sig Sport.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by footlong
    http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/8071085

You Sig worshippers might want to read this from the SIGFORUM[:0]

Maybe a crack or 2 in the SIG alter[?]Not that I can tell, just typical SIGForum nitpicking BS that's gone on for years.

Notice they all still acknowledge it beats others hands down.
  • Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Got a P220 .45 that I'm happy with... Reliability, great accuracy, and double action with the first round.

But I don't see anyone here toutin' Kimber, along with the Sig, Glock and other brands. How come?
    edited November -1
    Txs- I think Michael Jackson Had a hit song by that name . Come on lets Beat IT[:0]
    edited November -1
    Course I do have a weakness for USED Police Pistols. Germaan ones esp. Could be a Sig in that bunch[;)] Just happened upon a used Tokyo Police pistol. Bet you cant guess make and cal
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,926 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&K---then a toss up between Sig and Glock..
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    I don't have a large collection of pistols, but there isn't, and probably won't be, a PLASTIC framed gun among them.

I just can't warm up to plastic as a structural componenent of a firearm. For grips and stocks, it is OK, but not as a frame.
  • tracman49tracman49 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    amazzin!! neither is a BMW!! Both good solid performers but not in the class of Wilson Combat Arms. [8D]
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get it right! It's GLOCK, not Glock.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Received said text from the GLOCK lover" What a joke, but most of them are true it's just if you want to carry or for show! Yours is for show!"

That was on my phone this morning from Mr Glock lover in regards to this Post and poll.

He just can't handle the Turth.... [:o)]
  • steelersjunkie02steelersjunkie02 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well all I am the friend that he is talking about. First off how many of you carry a sig do you care if you bump up against something?
    Here is someone's commit that I think is true but how many of you would wear a Rolex out everyday? He must!

Sigs are in a whole differnet class than Glocks. They are the Rolex of handguns and you pay for that quality.

I have both and don't see how you can compare the two. Like trying to compare a BMW to a Toyota camry. Reliable but........lacking the class of the BMW

The big question is what you carry everyday and not be afraid of if getting a scratch on it! I know the Sigs are great guns for the money and if you are going to shot at a top competitor leval then get the sig but if it is for everyday carry I think the Glock would do just fine. Remumber most gun fights are with in 7 yards not 25 or 30. And I hope none of us every have to use them no matter what gun you carry.

Lets keep this discussion going I think its great.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 4,050
    edited November -1
    quote:

The big question is what you carry everyday and not be afraid of if getting a scratch on it! I know the Sigs are great guns for the money and if you are going to shot at a top competitor leval then get the sig but if it is for everyday carry I think the Glock would do just fine. Remumber most gun fights are with in 7 yards not 25 or 30. And I hope none of us every have to use them no matter what gun you carry.

Lets keep this discussion going I think its great.

I carry one of my Sigs just about every day, my old P228 is very beat up with little finish on it and lots of dings, still shoots excellent. I don't buy Sigs to keep them in the safe, I carry and shoot them. I dislike Glocks, mainly because they do not fit my hand, and I hate that scrunchy plastic feeling trigger.
  • steelersjunkie02steelersjunkie02 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand if you do carry it and if fits great but I have a big hand and my Glock 17 fits nice. The wife has a Glock 26 and she loves it. But yes it is very light. And lovethemcolts says he will carry it but most of he's nice stuff he never carrys![:p]