In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Kayaking Tybee Island

redfishbobredfishbob Member Posts: 1,434 ✭✭
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Finally got a day off and took our 14yr old grand daughter Kayak fishing around the back river at Tybee Island and Little Tybee.We didn't catch enough to make a meal but we had a ball.What a great kid.It's days like today that remind me just how trully blessed I am.We could have done anything she wanted today and all she wanted was some snack and and my time.Life is good!!!

Comments

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redfishbob
    Finally got a day off and took our 14yr old grand daughter Kayak fishing around the back river at Tybee Island and Little Tybee.We didn't catch enough to make a meal but we had a ball.What a great kid.It's days like today that remind me just how trully blessed I am.We could have done anything she wanted today and all she wanted was some snack and and my time.Life is good!!!

Amount of fish caught doesn't matter. What does is that you took her fishing. I was out in my Yak over the weekend and every time we caught a fish the sharks got to them before we could land them. I lost several flounder, Spanish and a really nice King. That king hit a silver Rattle Trap trolled at paddle speed.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,408 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Wonderful day, those are shinin' times!![:)]
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    In my mind, there is nothing in this world as wonderful as fishing with girls.

My 9 year old can out cast me for accuracy 9 times of 10.

She is too short to outcast me for distance in the surf. But that will change in 4 years.

And I'm going to "borrow" moms fly rod for her this summer. I think it will turn me into full time "guide" (she doesn't know what the heck a nail knot is). But I'm ok with that.

God, kids are wonderful things. All the more wonderful when they surpass us!!!

(Well, our own kids. Someone else's kid who tries to out cast me is likely to get roughed up).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bigoutside,Just wait until it's grand kids.I swear my daughters get pissy about the time I spend with the grand kids.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I hope I'm around for grand kids!!

I've got 44 years on the 9 year old.

And she's not allowed to date until after grad school. [;)][:D]

But I think girls "get" fishing better ( or maybe sooner ) than boys. The whole "feeding your family" with what you've caught.
    Or the beauty of the cast, regardless of the outcome.

The pure aesthetics of a well mended cast, upstream, of a fast sinking nymph.
    I know my 9 year old daughter understands.

And with the same certainty, I know my 20 year old nephew will understand... in another 30 years or so.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 35,032 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tybee Island is nice, never did any fishing there but we did enjoy spending some time there last year.
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Tybee and hope to visit there again soon. We had a great family vacation there a few years back. My son and I caught a few Black Tip sharks. Sounds like you had a great day
  • Options
    edited November -1
    es Tybee is great.We live on Wilmington Island about six miles inland or halfway to Savannah.It's hard to go to work in town when I look the saltmarshes in the morning.