In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spring Turkey!

Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2015 in General Discussion
First turkey hunt. I'm excited! Any suggestions on mouth or hand call? Decoys? One of my buddies was telling me about killer b and funky chicken but not sure which one I wanna go with.

Comments

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need one of Woodys gorilla calls!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad

There are no gorillas in Texas!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps
    quote:Originally posted by gearheaddad

There are no gorillas in Texas!

There will be after you use Woody's call![:D]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    This is Some Examples of Good ones I Found on the Internet JMHO also I hear through the Grapevine He Ships Free If You Order here And Go through the Auction Site[:I] quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps
    First turkey hunt. I'm excited! Any suggestions on mouth or hand call? Decoys? One of my buddies was telling me about killer b and funky chicken but not sure which one I wanna go with.
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    Which ever call you use just don't over do it! I carry two slate/alum calls and a box call, decoys will work in some situations but not always.Play the sun to your advantage, a mature tom will not come in with the sun in his eyes. Mouth calls take practice and trying many to get the one that works for you is worth the time.

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May 2nd is the first day in PA.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    This is Some Examples of Good ones I Found on the Internet JMHO www.woodshedscalls.com also I hear through the Grapevine He Ships Free If You Order here And Go through the Auction Site[:I] quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps

[:D][;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is Some Examples of Good ones I Found on the Internet JMHO www.woodshedscalls.com also I hear through the Grapevine He Ships Free If You Order here And Go through the Auction Site[:I] quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps

Sign me up!
  • Options
    edited November -1

Sign me up!

You won't be disappointed!!
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honestly, I would buy a wood sheds scratch box call. Easy to use for a first time call. Mouth calls are too hard to just pick up and use. You could also try his call with the ceramic disc and stick. Those calls are also easy to use. Contact old Woodshed and he will guide you in the right direction. Oakie.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ps. Tell the old fart to autograph it for you. [;)]
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple or three of HS Strut Sweet Sally's. Hang one with fishing line if you have a slight breeze. If it starts spinning. Put a small hole in the tail and tie it down with just enough slack to where the decoy will just pivot back and forth.

First hunt. Biggest mistake I have saw with most turkey hunters is they call to much and make their calls to long. By to long I mean that they will hit a call 5 to 7 times every time. Gobblers get wise to it quickly and will slip away from a hunter.

Our Gobblers have been gobbling for about three weeks now and our season does not start until the 27th. So again the WVDNR has started our season way to late. For by the time it starts. Most hens are already on the nest and the gobblers have lost interest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Which One Would you Like
    Your the Dr.[;)]quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps

Sign me up!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Which One Would you Like
    Your the Dr.[;)]quote:Originally posted by Dr.Nipps

Sign me up!

Well I ain't no expert on these things, but I'd like to try the one you can fit in your shirt pocket. Preferably one signed by the maker of course.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=476005991
    Thank You Dr.[:D]
    And
    The Rest of Those Dedicated Ol'Woodsheds users
    Woody[^][^]

Closeup Demo Of Call
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8cMl2ZD1As
    http://woodshedscalls.com/
  • Options
    TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use every kind of call that they make, and if a new one comes out I get one & learn how to make it sing.

My favorite calls are a old H&S Strut slate call. It makes a great early morning purr, and tree yelps.

After fly down I use a large custom handmade begging boat box call.

Once the birds is committed to the gun (Coming in to my set up), I will put down all my calls, pick up my shotgun, and use a mouth call (diaphragm) to cut & purr the bird the rest of the way in.

Good luck, we have to wait another 30 days up here in NY...[:(]

Trinity +++
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Woo! I won a turkey call from woodshed87! Hoping to get to spend some time learning how to use it before we go out!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email Sent
    Thank You [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Email Sent
    Thank You [:D]

woodshed87 sent you email on your preferred method of payment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nothing In Yet But USPMO Works great
    You Get My Addy OK?
    Woody
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nothing In Yet But USPMO Works great
    You Get My Addy OK?
    Woody

Yes sir! I wasn't sure if you wanted check, cash, or MO even pay online. Hopefully I'll make it down to the post office today before they close.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If You Dare to Send Cash That Would be Fine Many Do it
    Woody
  • Options
    MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woody - any chance you have another gorilla call? our season starts in a few weeks and was hoping i might be able to get one from you in time. thanks. scott
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes Scott As a Matter Of Fact I do Lol[:p]
    Would You Like Me to Put One Up For You
    My Addy is Up to Date & you Can Send USPMO Or Cash If You Dare just Wrap in paper Good so Someone In the USPS Can't see it part timers Are Junkies Whores And Thieves[B)][B)]quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    Woody - any chance you have another gorilla call? our season starts in a few weeks and was hoping i might be able to get one from you in time. thanks. scott
  • Options
    edited November -1
    woody, yes please put a link up! i will send cash in the morning. PS; does your free shipping + autograph still apply? [:D]
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to a simple easy to use "Box Call" you might want to consider a "tent blind". We used them for years. Very forgiving and fairly comfortable with few lite weight chairs. We always used one hen decoy. Just make sure there is no shine on it and like someone mentioned don't over call. Have fun and good luck.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here Ya Go Scott Thank You Muchly And HAPPY HUNTING!!
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=476095061
    See Closeup Demo Of Call
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8cMl2ZD1As
    http://woodshedscalls.com/

quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Woody! i will be sure to get some pics posted if when we are successful [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MN Hunter
    woody, yes please put a link up! i will send cash in the morning. PS; does your free shipping + autograph still apply? [:D]

Thought I was going to have a one of a kind signed turkey call [B)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    There Are More Of the Gorilla Calls as Well as The Pot Calls Slate Or Glass
    and Box Call That We Make
    You Can See them All at www.woodshedscalls.com
    Free Shipping!!!
    If Ya Don't Hunt Them Yourself
    Have One Autographed, And give it to Someone Special On your Bucket list.
    Thank You Woody[^][^]
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ....as you folks know, Alabama is one big time Turkey Hunting state!....my friend who hunts turkeys with a passion , said Woodys calls were second to none...only ones I ever seen come close was the late Ben Rodgers Lee's calls...Ben won several World Championships with his box and mouth calls...You can't go wrong...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am Very Humbled[:I] By this Mans Statement We At Ol'Woodsheds Calls Are Turkey Hunters ourselves, When it Comes May 1st Everything Takes A Halt here And Its game on.
    Our Mission is to make the Finest Calls At A Reasonable Cost
    We Do Not enter Calling Contests That Is Not A good Demonstration of How Good a Call Is the Proof is In The Calling in & Hunting of the Bird itself....
    You Can Buy Cheaper At the Big Box Stores But You Won't Get a Hand Made Call And Personalized Service, You Will Get A Call that is CNC Cut and That CNC Machine Only Knows one thing "Dimensions" NOT SOUND We Appreciate your Patronage, And never Take it For Granted.
    Special Thank You To GunBroker.Com For Your Outlet
    Thank You All Woody[^]

quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    ....as you folks know, Alabama is one big time Turkey Hunting state!....my friend who hunts turkeys with a passion , said Woodys calls were second to none...only ones I ever seen come close was the late Ben Rodgers Lee's calls...Ben won several World Championships with his box and mouth calls...You can't go wrong...