In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brandishing

gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
edited April 2009 in General Discussion
In the December issue of Shooting Times Personal Defense on page 119 under the title of In Plain Sight by James Tarr it reads under the sub title Brandishing. " It's not just a word. Brandishing is a state of mind. It only takes one instance of walking when the wind blows open an untucked shirt. The fact that you didn't pull your gun out won't save you when a passing mom sees your gun and starts screaming in terror. I know someone this happen to. How did she know he wasn't a cop. The answer is that she didn't. But in the world where many people have only seen guns on TV, the accidental flash of a gun in street clothes can end badly. If your lucky, you'll stay out of jail and pay a few thousand dollars in legal bills. But you might not have a carry permit after everything shakes out."

After reading this I began to wonder about carry permit laws. I thought it was a permit to carry and if you wanted to conceal it, it was up to you. What the author is saying is if you flash your piece, the police have the right to take you permit away. Is that right?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Has anyone here ever been in a situation where they felt threatened enough to pull their weapon? If so, what happened?
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And you are asking because.....................
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iwould move this to the General Discussion area, you'll get lots of comments
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A situation threatened enough to pull a weapon? Someone was either shooting at you, or was under 21 feet from you with an edged weapon and closing the distance? If it is a case where I feel threatened enough to pull out a firearm, you can bet after I get it out that there is going to be a bang following.

That said, there are different situations, that warrant different action. It can be a tricky situation depending on local and state laws. Usually if one has to draw, then he is going to use.

Best
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    If you are threatened with a deadly weapon, or any threat of severe * harm to yourself or another, you are good to pull in my state. I was nearly carjacked at knifepoint in Des Moines in 2006. My Beretta 92 saved my butt from god knows what.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    A situation threatened enough to pull a weapon? Someone was either shooting at you, or was under 21 feet from you with an edged weapon and closing the distance? If it is a case where I feel threatened enough to pull out a firearm, you can bet after I get it out that there is going to be a bang following.

That said, there are different situations, that warrant different action. It can be a tricky situation depending on local and state laws. Usually if one has to draw, then he is going to use.

Best

+1 In my case you can expect two bangs, remember to double tap.
  • Options
    wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the situation has deteriorated to the point where you have to deploy your sidearm, that deployment should be followed by a discharge of said sidearm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    And you are asking because.....................

Because I read somewhere that of all the crimes that were prevented by a gun, 92% merely required the gun be drawn to stop the attack. I wanted to know if it was true.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brandishing a weapon is an offensive posture, pulling out your sidearm and using it in defense is defending yourself
  • Options
    JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rottweiler_pup.jpg

Brandished my weapon Pulled my sidearm at a Rottweiler.

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

[xx(]
  • Options
    M1GarandloverM1Garandlover Member Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never had to pull my CCW. I hope that I never have too. In the event that I do pull my weapon I will have every intent on using it for what it was intended. "To Protect Mine and Yours"
  • Options
    SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    quote:of all the crimes that were prevented by a gun, 92% merely required the gun be drawn

many times you din't even need to draw it.
    I posted awhile back about pulling my jacket aside to show my gun, still holstered.
    threat was ended, but some folks considered that brandishing, which is frowned upon.
    remember, in most states DRAWING a gun in any situation that is not percieved as life threatening IS brandishing and will get you into trouble.
    If you draw a gun you should have intent to use it, and be able to defend your actions in court.
    cause that's surely where it's gonna end up! (been there, done thant, and that's all i'm gonna say about it.[;)]
    tom
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,444 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My late father to make my dicission to shoot before I draw. Never draw to warn. That's how folks get killed by their own piece.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you need to "Double tap" then you need more range time.[:0]
  • Options
    Mr. FriendlyMr. Friendly Member Posts: 7,981
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1
    I disagree. I practice triple tapping, and if that makes me a lousy shot so be it
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cactuspete1

Double tap is all about being able to to control two fast shots. The theory came about with the 9mm coming into service over the 45. It works, and if you can do it with a 45 too then hot damn...
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    A good friend was in this situation:

Him and his eldest son, when heading for their vehicle late one night in a restaurant parking lot, witnessed this:

A man pulled up near the back door of the restaurant, a female employee of that restaurant got in the passenger side. The two had a "high-volume discussion" (with the passenger door still open).
    The driver took off through the parking lot spinning tires, swerving, turning sharp left, until she fell out and rolled to a stop. The man slid to a stop, got out and approached her- yelling obscenities.
    My friend had told his son to get in their vehicle and call 911. He quickly ran to a point in between the couple and told the man to stop. The man did stop in front of my friend but did not, at this time, seem ready to back off. My friend reached down to his side as he spoke to the man, unzipped the top of his carry pouch (rectangular, black leather) a little and kept his hand on the top of it. The man saw his movement and knew immediately what was in the pouch and what could happen next if he did not comply. His eyes got big and he froze in his tracks. My friend then asked him to lie down on the parking lot, which he did quickly, and stayed there untill the police arrived.

A side note:
    When my friend relayed the story to the officer, when he got to the part about the firearm, the officer stopped him, and said "that's okay, we don't need to go into that part". The officer later thanked him for his actions.

We will not know what situation we may be presented with.
    I think that we should be prepared in our minds (as much as we possibly can be) to be able to react quickly and rightly to that situation if and when.

my .02
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Yes, twice.

I went into detail about the events a couple of weeks ago.

Not gonna do it again.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Doug-
    I tried to find those posts.
    No luck.
    Would you repost here?
    Thanks
    RT
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    shootertutor

...Food for thought Deputy Fifes of the world...

...You, your friend, and your friends child are VERY lucky, to put yourselves in the middle of a domestic situation(?)and NOT have something BAD happen, that, is one situation I may have had REAL second thoughts about if my child had been anywhere around; and I'm being polite about it.

..Here's this for your friend, may keep his * out of trouble.

...I guess if your friend was driving down the HWY, saw a truck ahead stop just in front of a girl say, teenager walking. Man about 45 gets out of the truck, walks back and begins argueing with the girl, then; he grabs her arm and begins to pull her to his truck, she is resisting some...your friend stops, and is going to stop this obvious abduction and rape/murder or "whatever".
    ...Your friend stops and confronts the man with his carry gun, ONLY to have the man push the girl down to the ground (bleener!) and grab for HIS gun, ahh, but your friend has his out and shoots this sorry bleener first.
    ...Your friend is confused when after the man stumbles and falls to the ground shot and the young lady screams "MURDERER"! Congrats. your friend just shot the young ladys FATHER who has a CHL/CCW, seems she had gotten mad earleir and ran out of the house in a teenage hissy-fit and he was looking for her when he spotted her on the side of the HWY and had stopped to bring her home.

...things are NOT always as they appear, preception, can be a very bad thing when ALL the facts are not known...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    COLT (and anyone else reading this)

Some clarification:
    I just called my friend to check details.
    (1) his son was 15 at the time
    (2) his son remained in their vehicle the entire time across the parking lot.
    (3) The woman was unconscious after hitting, bouncing, rolling approximately 30 feet.

I believe that if my friend had of driven off "minding his own business" that woman would have died vary shortly after.

My friend is also my Pastor.
    He asked me to share this:
    "Yes I may have put my life in danger. Jesus (our shepherd) will
    leave the 99 to save one lost sheep". He feels like he made the right choice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Colt-
    The scenario you described needs to be also embraisened (sp) in our minds.
    That would be a possible and plausible reaction for a well-meaning
    passerby.

Please, Please- all who are reading this, think them through.

Other scenarios? (real or hypothetical)
    Please post.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...All true, and I did not say turn a blind eye or do nothing BTW but, any COP entering into a domestic dispute KNOWS statisicaly that scenario is one of the most dangerous he'll ever enter into...and is trained "what" to watch for; and they still get in trouble or worse shot/stabbed/beat.

...In a lot of cases it is the person being beat etc. that will turn immediately on the cop/individual that attempts to intervine on their behalf.
    ...BAD ju-ju to get in the middle of...especially for an untrained individual...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • Options
    jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This was a real face to face incident that happened to me on Dec.26'07. my wife and stepson went to walmart for milk/bread,etc. around 8:30pm. at 9pm there was a knock at the back door, thinking it was one of my stepsons friends coming over I got into my wheelchair (I'm a parapligic) the dogs(the mutt and the Rotty.)did they're thing, running to the backdoor barking and carrying on as they always do. I was half way to the dining room, when I hear a strange male voice in the kitchen say 'Lori where are you?' now this voice is unfamiliar to me so when I got to the table I got my carry gun out of hiding, and next thing I see is the dogs who are up on they're hind legs being pushed backwards. the guy gets to the doorway between rooms when I get a whiff of alcohol, I call off the dogs and tell him I don't know what the Fukkk you think your doing but Get the Fukkk out! and he ask's 'Wheres Lori?' I replied, none of your EFFIN business GET OUT! he goes when she gonna be back? same answer, none of your business GET OUT! I told him around 5 times to leave, he keeps asking about the wife. this whole time I have my .380 tucked by my right hip, I have'nt shown him the gun at all, nor have I said I have a gun, yet. on my 6th GTFO, I upped it by telling him GTFO or get shot! the gun is still hidden, I'm moving up on this guy and he's telling me 'but you know me, you don't have to be like that' and I get him into the kitchen and he's right by the backdoor, now mind you the wife is due back any minute and I can't let her walk into this, so my absolute last challenge is 'get out now or I'm going to put a bullet in your brain!' I lean forward a bit and slipped the pistol in my hand, and said 'leave now or I will shoot you' he say's 'Bullet in my brain!' and in that fraction of a second when I was going to draw and shoot him, he turned at the waist and grabbed the doorknob, and pulled the door open, and said "DON'T YOU PULL THAT GUN SHEET ON ME! my response was GTFO-NOW! and he left. I watched him drive off when the wife pulled in, I'm asling her who was this azzhole and come to find out he's some kind of shoe string relative, that I've never met. I tell her what happened and she say's nobody would miss him, he's known as "Dickk the drunk". the whole time this confrontation was going on, I was'nt shakiy or had tunnel vision, I was focused on a real threat to me and most of all my family. this man was a trigger pull away from dying. the next day I called my Dad, and told him what happened with this guy walking in and he asked 'did you shoot him?' and no Dad I did'nt but he was this close to to it. the old man agreed that it was a right response to protect my family. Later that day I also got a call from Dickk the drunks sister, she's asking what the Hell went on over there? I told her how close Dickk was to dying, and that was the last we heard of dickk for a month or so, until I got back from doing something or another and was taking off my coat, when Dickk pulls into the driveway, I say 'look there's that SOB now' the wife tells me to STAY IN THE HOUSE!!!! she goes out and reads him the riot act, and that was the absolute last time he showed his face around here. This story is the pure truth. had Dickk not turned and grabbed the doorknob this story would have had a different ending.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor
    Doug-
    No luck.
    Would you repost here?
    Thanks
    RT

I'll hunt around for the thread - someone else had started it.

I prolly should have saved it.

Oh, well.

If I find it, I'll post it.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootertutor
    Doug-
    No luck.
    Would you repost here?
    Thanks
    RT

This is it:

"1) Working as Regional Operations Manager for a huge chain of big box office supply stores, I was investigating possible (hah - possible) employee theft. Two guys split with a shopping cart full of computers and peripherals, to a waiting van parked in Handicapped parking.
    They split in the van and I lost them in traffic. I went a couple of miles and turned around in a strip center, and there was the van, in a Handicapped zone with two guys hustling a bunch of stuff out of a store.

I pulled my car across the rear of theirs, jumped out, leaned over my roof and pointed my revolver at them, and had them lay on the pavement. I had been on my cell with the 911 people, and within a couple of minutes about 6 or 7 patrol cars showed up - 3 different Municipal PDs, 2 County Sheriffs, and a State Trooper. I laid my gun on my roof and raised my hands while the Policemen did their thing. It turned out that one of the guys was an escaped county prisoner, and one of the other two had felony warrants out - Armed Robbery, and Felony Assault - he was packing. It was funny that the Police seemed mostly upset that the guys had jacked a Handicapped sticker to use for. parking, and nobody was handicapped. They told me that I was pretty stoopid. They were right.

As an aside, while I was talking to the 911 dispatcher, she asked me what kind of firearm I had and I told her a Smith 629 .44 Magnum. She said: " Oh, please, don't shoot anybody with that cannon !!"

I was just a kid during that incident - 54 years old. Spouse (now EX-spouse) told me I was nuts and didn't speak to me for a month. Golden silence.

2) Giant 1% biker type beating on petite lady. Screamed at him, he started to approach me, I drew my itty-bitty Chief's Special. He lost his motivation, the Police arrived and took him into custody, and also pulled the beaten woman off me, who was telling me what an (insert bad word, which was auto-censored) I was for messing with Mikey.

I was 50.

RULE ONE: HAVE A GUN.

Doug"
    This is from a thread I started, titled"25v32v32v380v357Mv38Sv9v40v45 The REAL" and it was a pretty good discussion.

If you search the thread topic, you can read the whole thing.

Doug
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    never ever ever ever ever ever get in the middle of a domestic dispute that isnt yours. they are ususally the most volatile situations you can find. you can be talking about years and ayears of pent up agression waiting for an outlet and frequently these folks are right on the very edge of disaster.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Excitement has been kind of rare as a civilian, and I like it that way.

There were two notable occasions when the Devil came looking for me. One of them was when I was sitting at a stoplight, and some drugged-out freak jumped in through the passenger's door and then offered to turn my glasses into contact lenses. Just like that, and out of the blue (or rather out of the black, because it was at night). When I pulled a Model 10, I found myself immediately alone again.

The other was when I stopped for gas at a Clark 100 about 1:30 one morning, back before the days of self-service. The attendant was squatting behind my car filling my tank, as I stood at the rear corner of my car, making conversation. A car pulled in right on the other side of the pumps, the passenger got out with a pistol and demanded money, and the driver got out and laid a sawed-off rifle across the roof. I thought the attendant was reaching for his roll, but he pulled a little chrome .25 instead, and I was right in the middle of all of them. My driver's door was open, and I decided I'd rather get shot while at least shooting back, so I dove in for a pair of .38 Supers that I carried at the time, and came out of the car with those in front of me. The robbers both jumped into their car and burned out. The attendant ran inside and called the police, and before I could hardly turn around, there were cops everywhere. I thought the attendant would do me a favor and leave my part out of the story, but he didn't. But hearing it all, one of the Cops turned to me and said I could go, and didn't even ask for my I.D. Whew.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "pair of 38 Supers" ??

That would be cool.

Doug
  • Options
    edited November -1
    KEVD18-
    yes, most have heard that (to never get in the middle of a
    domestic situation)...
    ...That is RULE #1...
    (if escaping pain is your goal).

Could we possibly liken it to grabbing a big, mean, hungry dog's food bowl away from it?
    That would be an extremely stupid thing to do, and not something I would recommend.

Situations are different and , therefore must be handled differently.
    Something to think about.

Barney
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Doug
    I will look that up later.
    Gotta get to the PO.
    RT
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Since I have gone to the trouble of highjacking this thread, there is no sense in letting it go to the back of the book.[:D]