In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Patriots (Book by Rawles). read it?

MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Just finished. Great Read.

If you read it....

Researched and accurate w/ technical info?
If not, details please.

How close is it to our future (in your opinion)?
How different?

Comments

• MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've read it multiple times. Good story not sure how realistic. Seems odd to me that there is no local law around. Also not sure how much I agree with them stopping everyone that comes down the road.

Good book none the less.

Check out Deep Winter and Shattered by Tom Sherry, also good modern books both available at Amazon. They are a series with Deep Winter being the 1st book and seem a little more realistic.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All these books have inspired me to come over here and work a year or so to allow me to buy land out in the country with cash. Working in the city, living pay check to paycheck does not help one succeed in life.

I've found a couple houses I like in MO. The houses I'm looking at are a little more expensive than I would like and have less acreage (9 acres vs 20 to 40) but am thinking I could buy one of them after this year, then possibly work another year and have money to start a small business.

The goal is to be debt free in 1 to 2 years.

On the propertys I'm looking at, I'm trying to decide between nice 3 bed log cabin style house in the woods with resale value ($100K).

Or a 3 bed double wide style house on a small farm with 1/3 of the land wooded ($89K) with low reasale value.

I think being able to grow your own food is key. I'm leaning towards the cabin in the woods and am wondering if I can't clear some of the woods for a garden. I will have chickens at either place.

My final idea is to buy an extra affordable house in a small town ($30-$50K) and then buy additional undeveloped land (1/2 farmable 1/2 wooded) out in the country ($50K).
  • MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    the "debt free" part is a VERY good thing