In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any Roofers... peak vent ?

EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in General Discussion
Just had a new roof put on and thought we were getting a "peak vent".
I see alot of houses with the raised vent at the peak but our company cut both sides of the peak and put black paper down and then cap shingles. They had this black plastic mesh stuff but it's not up there.
This just ain't right with me somehow. Looks like everything is still sealed off completely.

Comments

• Options
    Wyatt EarpWyatt Earp Member Posts: 5,871
    edited November -1
    Shingles never "seal off." Shingles are waterproof, not watertight. Simply, this means that they shed water but if you install them on less than 2:12 pitch they'll leak.

The "mesh" may be one of the new vent ridge materials. Got a pic?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RidgeVent.jpg

Is it this type of ridge vent?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ridgevent006.jpg

• Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    It is called a ridge vent and if not in place you should not pay until they install it. Make certain they start 4' from the end of the ridge. They need to cut the sheeting 1 1/2" on both sides of the ridge and install the ridge vent. Also make certain they use the 3" nails supplied with the vent. A lot of roofers want to shoot the ridge vent down with a nail gun. This makes the vent twist and distort making it not look smooth. Also the nails they use to shoot down shingles is usually only 1 1/4" long. This is to short for the ridge vent and will eventually loosen and the ridge vent will blow off.
  • Options
    EndlssEndlss Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    Nope it looks just like an old regular roof with small thick roof shingles ran sideway overlapping.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    RidgeVent.jpg

This type of vent is what you want on your house. The only difference is that you don't want it to go all the way to the end like this. This will get rain blown into it like this. You want the ridge vent about 4' from the end.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree it should not go to the end. I stop mine 2 feet from the end and seal the joints with silicone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree it should not go to the end. I stop mine 2 feet from the end and seal the joints with silicone.

Some actually come with a rubber boot for the end. But yes silicone or roofing cement will work. On short runs I will stop it around 2' also. On large runs I like about 4'. Just personal preference. Works either way.
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    RidgeVent.jpg

This type of vent is what you want on your house. The only difference is that you don't want it to go all the way to the end like this. This will get rain blown into it like this. You want the ridge vent about 4' from the end.

Looks like Cobravent to me, but I am not a roofer. Some run it the whole length for 'looks' per se, but don't cut the sheathing.

If the OP has NO ridge venting, or gable venting depending on the roof style,........can you say 'very short shingle life' and increased cooling costs?[:0]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    woodhogwoodhog Member Posts: 13,115 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    regardless of type, this is an extremely important detail to have overlooked. Correct venting on your roof will add years to its life and avoid moisture inside, causing thousands of dollars in possible repairs later.I would not accept job without ridgevent placement.
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sound like Cobra
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything Mmomeq said.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MIL had a new roof installed last year on an insurance claim after a bad storm. Early this spring, she called to tell me the vent strip was loose. I got there before it blew completely away and made a quick repair to keep rain out. The roofers had used nails 1/2" too short and only about 1/4" of the nails were driven into the sheathing on the ridge vent. I stuck it down with longer nails, recut some new cap shingles, and used some cold weather roofing cement. Went back later when the weather was warmer and used roofing screws to make sure it didn't ever come loose again. Also found an area where they had run out of flashing and just caulked the last 18" of joint-of course it leaked there. It won't leak anymore.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Does it look like one of these....

roofvent-greenbuild.jpg

ridge-vent17mos.jpg
  • Options
    timinpatiminpa Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard a trick to light a small piece of paper or match then blow it out, see if the smoke rises up and out the roof.. but I'm not a roofer
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The roof needs vented by one means or another. There are a lot of fancy gizmos on the market but the traditional vents work just fine as long as there are enough of them and they are installed correctly. All that is needed is there be enough vent area to move the needed air.

It is just as important that the eaves be vented to let air in the bottom also.

Ventaridge is an option and it has its place, but it is only one kind of vent. It is great when you need vented between each rafter such as may be needed with a some types of construction, a cathedral ceiling for instance.

Bottom line is the roof needs vented, what ever type is installed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scout is right you also must have soffit vents.

ridgevent003.jpg

Here is a pic of a ridge vent retrofit I did on one of the rentals.
    Before I started my work this house had a bunch of these little circular soffit vents.
    There were 52 of these little vents.

This was almost enough soffit vent for this house. But, many of these vents were partly clogged with spider webs, bugs, dust, etc.

So as you can see I replaced some of the little round vents with the big rectangular soffit vents.
    One of the rectangular vents equals 12 of the round ones. I replaced 5 of them with the big rectangular vents so now the house exceeds spec on soffit vent area.

You have to have cool air coming in down low on the roof, and hot air going out at the top.
    No cool air coming in low, the ridge vent will not work.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Please, why would that make a difference?
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    Venting all the way to the edge and making sure also that the soffit vent/vents go over to include the soffit area up the rake outside of the gables will keep the temp down on that overhang section.....increasing the life span of the shingles and the paint underneath.

IMO
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

I am a roofer by trade. And I have installed 1000's of feet of this stuff. Probably miles. I dont think it matters if it goes all the way to the end or not. They used to recommend stopping 2 ft from the rake edges. Always seemed a little wierd to me? Some manufacturers installation literature clearly shows it going all the way across the peak. Which out over the overhang, rigt at the peak, probably doesnt do much. In my opinion (and lets face it, opinions are a matter of personal preference) it just looks better and more complete ALL the way across.
    As usual here on GB, you get alot of info. Most of reall good advice.
    I will add, most manufacturers have different slot widths for "truss construction" vs "ridge pole construction" and I concur that proper soffit ventilation is as important as proper ridge vent ventilation. Without one, the other one doesnt work as designed.
    Hope this all helps.
  • Options
    TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As has been said, everyone has their own opinion. Having sold and purchased building materials for a number of years, I do not think that ridge vents allow enough ventelation. I think that you almost cannot have too much vent intake at the soffit and that you need something to pull the air through the attic. I have used both power vents and turbine vents and have been pleased with performance of both. My opinion is the more air flow the better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 38chevyrodder
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

I am a roofer by trade. And I have installed 1000's of feet of this stuff. Probably miles. I dont think it matters if it goes all the way to the end or not. They used to recommend stopping 2 ft from the rake edges. Always seemed a little wierd to me? Some manufacturers installation literature clearly shows it going all the way across the peak. Which out over the overhang, rigt at the peak, probably doesnt do much. In my opinion (and lets face it, opinions are a matter of personal preference) it just looks better and more complete ALL the way across.
    As usual here on GB, you get alot of info. Most of reall good advice.
    I will add, most manufacturers have different slot widths for "truss construction" vs "ridge pole construction" and I concur that proper soffit ventilation is as important as proper ridge vent ventilation. Without one, the other one doesnt work as designed.
    Hope this all helps.

Been roofing and building since 1968. The reason I stop my ridge vent ' from the edge is because of rain blowing into the ends of the vent. I have installed vent to the edge before with rain blowing into the edge. But in the final decision I think it depends on preference and what the roofer has been taught.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did a test one time to see if ridge vents really worked.
    I was building a new house for myself.
    When I built the roof I left a 1 1/2 inch gap at the ridge between the plywood sheets coming up from each side.

But I did not install a ridge vent.
    I ran the black felt paper right over the ridge, then installed roof shingles and cap shingles as was done in the old days.

I moved into the house.
    I waited until July, and then hung a thermometer next to the ceiling upstairs inside the house.
    In the afternoon I would get a reading of 90 to 92 degrees, if it was a sunny day.
    I ran that test all month long, temps were consistently in the 90 plus range.

Then I went up on the roof one morning, removed the cap shingles, cut the felt paper with my razor cutter to open up the 1 1/2 inch gap.
    Presto, the roof was ready for the ridge vent to be installed!

I had built good soffit vents into the house already.

I installed the ridge vent.

Next day was a sunny August day, I looked at my ceiling thermometer, it never exceeded 76 degrees.

So it was 15 degrees cooler up there with the ridge vent.
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    Originally posted by 38chevyrodder
    [

Been roofing and building since 1968. The reason I stop my ridge vent ' from the edge is because of rain blowing into the ends of the vent. I have installed vent to the edge before with rain blowing into the edge. But in the final decision I think it depends on preference and what the roofer has been taught.

I have installed it both ways. It seems a little wierd to me that, moveing the ending place over two feet would change its "leakability" You still have an ending point. I can tell you I never leave a raw cut edge at the rake edge. If the last piece is cut to length I flip it backwards so I still have a factory edge out.
    Definately agree with you on those roof leaks that are a result of wind-driven rain. It can be a pain in the neck chasing leaks that only leak some of the time.