In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

stupid robo calls

skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
I was getting fed up with these robo calls coming in to my work cell phone and asking politely to be removed from their call list does not work. It has been going on for a while and I just hit the wall today. I just spent 1/2 hour calling their number and got through to about 12-15 of their agents. I think I annoyed them enough as I ultimately ended up with a supervisor who repeated my phone number back to me and promised they would never call me again. Probably another lie but I told them I would continue calling their representatives and wasting their time. If it doesn't work I'll do the registering of my phone on the do not call list with the feds and see if that works.

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried that and it didn't work.

I have asked to be removed and it didn't work.

I have blocked the number and they change them.

The worst for me are the extended warranty for car people.

Now when the call I answer and just put the phone down on the table and walk away. I go get a drink or do something around the place and come back to find they have hung up.
    RLTW

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    The do not call list doesn't work. Not well anyway.

Look at the caller ID and screen your calls. Even then, some outfits spoof the caller ID with a local number.

If I'm in a playful mood, sometimes I'll answer, press one, get a real person, and light up their life. [:p] That's one number that will never call back. [:D]

C'est la vie!
  • Options
    beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One good thing about the iPhone is that it is easy to block numbers.
    0M9InwN.gif[
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +10

Since Congress can't address Healthcare, taxes, or anything else maybe they could at least make it where I can relay the calls to their personal cell phones!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,390 ******
    edited November -1
    I recently changed my AT&T service land line to just cover local calls. Saved over 50% on the monthly bill as I use my flip cell phone if I call long distance.

I noticed that by doing this, I lost my caller ID and have to answer every dang call that comes in!! [:0][:(!] Dang buzturds!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    +10

Since Congress can't address Healthcare, taxes, or anything else maybe they could at least make it where I can relay the calls to their personal cell phones!

Ya know that is sorta possible! Call forwarding, all you need is their numbers.
  • Options
    zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
    edited November -1
    And now they even spoof your area code so that sucks.

We have our landline phone set to automatically reject unknown callers, out-of-area (when no number displayed), and no caller ID calls. That works pretty well. We also have an unlisted number and use our listed number for FAX only to pick up after one ring. All that together makes it somewhat tolerable.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    state and fed do NOT call lists are ineffective..but ..i got a newer dumb phone and it has a block on it..if the number is NOT on your contact list it does NOT come thru...works good..wife has to open it up to put in a new number and close it back down...takes several steps not well explained to do this..but i made a list over 2 weeks of about 40+ junk calls...the worst is that *&^&^%^%#%&^(^ sirius radio...like to burn their places down
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:One good thing about the iPhone is that it is easy to block numbers.

Block away,,they never call from the same number twice,,at least not to my phone
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    all my important contacts call and let it ring two times and hang up and call back, then I answer. or they let it go to the answer machine if realy important. between back braces, credit cards, school loans, car insurance and unwanted junk I have had it. mr myopic.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Verizon wireless has a deal called Family Base, costs $5 per month. It allows blocking of private and blocked calls and other settings to stop unwanted calls. I went from maybe 20 calls a day to maybe 2 calls a week after tweaking that feature.

Now if I could stop all the horny girls that are Only 2 Miles away from emailing me and filling up my junk mail things would be great!
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure you all have caller ID. When you get a call you don't recognize just don't answer the GD phone. If its important they'll leave you a message. If they don't leave a message then just don't answer the GD phone, end of problem. I get 50 + calls a week from who knows just don't answer them, end of fhuckin problem.
  • Options
    LagoLago Member Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Based on a comment on this site, I signed up for NOMOROBO.COM a few months ago, since my landline is with a cable co and can be used for NOMOROBO. my phone indicates that it blocks an average of 35-40 calls per month.

NOMOROBO is now available for the iPhone IOS 10. Free for 1st 30 days and then $1.99/month. Can cancel anytme. Download from the Apple App Store.

Lago
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There ought to be a law...

Ohh there is a law.

Well FCC, thanks for nothing.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the one about my computer running slow, I tell the guy that my computer is running just fine and is chasing the dog around the house. They usually hang up.[:D]
  • Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    I'm sure you all have caller ID. When you get a call you don't recognize just don't answer the GD phone. If its important they'll leave you a message. If they don't leave a message then just don't answer the GD phone, end of problem. I get 50 + calls a week from who knows just don't answer them, end of fhuckin problem.

I wish I could but this is my business phone. One of the things my customer likes is getting a real person who answers the phone when they call. Many of my customers have cell phones from different area codes and if I don't answer they may call someone else to do the work.
  • Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I screen all calls. If I don't know the number, no answer. Got fooled by the local area code.....once. The newest one is having the number call again almost immediately, hoping I'll think it is some kind of emergency.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tried something a while back, and it seems to work. Now as a rule, if I do not know the number calling me, I don't answer, simple enough.
    But lately I answer the call like this, I start out saying. "Warren county safe building, officer Tayler speaking, how may I direct your call". Now if they answer after that, I just ask them again, how may I direct your call. Now you can be officer who ever and what ever, just practice so you can say it with out laughing. I don't get the calls anymore.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We had to replace our phone system and after doing some research I found the Panasonic mdl KX-TGFA 30. This phone has a built in Call Block button. We have loaded it up with an amazing amount of numbers.

I think the origin of those calls can be traced back to Hughes Net selling our number to every damn tele tubby in the world. But this phone will only ring once when a call is blocked. Saves a lot of answering the bull crap. [:(!]

Joe
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess we could mute all calls except from contact list.