In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

guy wearing a mask walking towards you..........

rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
edited September 2017 in General Discussion
what do you do? I wonder when one of these ANTIFA asshats is going to * blown away when they walk up on an armed citizen.

I'd think it would be a reasonable assumption (and fear) that you were about to be assaulted or robbed if a masked person approached you, and you'd be justified in shooting them.

you know it's going to happen.

I'd try to avoid them and move away from their approach and if they adjusted their path to still come my way, I believe I'd put my hand on the pistol at this point, keeping it behind my back and tell them to move away from me and IF they continue on towards me I'd then let them see I'm armed and let them decide if they wanted to escalate from there.

if there's not enough time for that, I guess I'd pull it and point it and let the court decide should it come to that. (brandishing or a shooting) I'm too old and out of shape to fight or run.

how do you think a situation like that should be handled?

Comments

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well if its winter I might say sure is cold as hell today [:D]

honestly I hope to not have to make such a judgement call and can not say for sure what I would do , what I think now may be nothing like how I would react ,
    if just me or wife and friends with me just one or more than a few coming at me
    or maybe just feet do not fail me now [:0]
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If these confrontations with antifa continue there will likely be a shooting event. The tempers are running out of control, and I noticed the antifa's are carrying sections of pipe. Pipes can be very deadly when used as a club.

Eventually someone will bring a handgun to one of these events and will shoot a member of antifa. If it happens when the person is being attacked by a pipe wielding antifa clown it should be justified.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well in Virginia it's a felony to wear a mask in public, so he'd go to jail. [;)]
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah I'll agree to "making way" but if they adjust their course I'd stop as in standing my ground where allowed.

Here in California I get to be a victim [V].
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty certain that if you shoot someone for walking towards you wearing a mask, you won't be making it to the family barbecue for a couple of years.

If ever.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigoutside
    I'm pretty certain that if you shoot someone for walking towards you wearing a mask, you won't be making it to the family barbecue for a couple of years.

If ever.

If I'm on the jury they will [:D]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    Well in Virginia it's a felony to wear a mask in public, so he'd go to jail. [;)]

ya that will discourage them

as far as the op goes, we could only wish we could dictate the perfect scenario , this current times it is almost impossible to defend yourself against these idiots without backlash, their agenda is condoned by the media and liberal judges to the point you have to be severely injured before you can defend yourself, even then deadly force will not be justified

they throw feces/urine on people, spray hairspray on the oppositions signs and flags to catch them on fire with zero repercussions
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

He didn't ask how to discourage them, he asked how you deal with one.[;)]
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

and he did not say "how would you deal with this if you are a leo ether" [;)]
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If its not holloween the person is a threat...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a huge difference between "a perceived danger" and "a real Danger"

Just because the guys wearing a mask does not mean he is going to be a danger to you. The danger has to be real. You would go to jail
  • Options
    edited November -1

and he did not say "how would you deal with this if you are a leo ether" [;)]

He asked the audience a question, and I am a LEO so that's how I'd deal with them. [;)]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see any danger. If you see a deadly weapon as in a pipe.. warn them you have a more deadly weapon.
  • Options
    hunter86004hunter86004 Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot depends on your state law regarding self defense.

If a masked man was approaching you with a weapon, or something that could be used as a weapon, would a reasonable person be in fear? If so, in my state, you're justified in threatening to use deadly force, or the use of deadly force if it becomes obvious you are about to become the victim of an attack.

It's always a good idea to back away from a potential attack, but if you are pursued, do what you have to do.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did they arrest ANY of the protestors wearing masks and charge them with a felony? quote:Originally posted by shilowar

And IF I am approached while armed and the person appears menacing (IE: Coming at me at a high rate of speed appearing to have intent to harm me) then I fear for my life or great * harm and defend myself and the courts will have to either jail me or turn me loose. I think I would prefer that to having the hell beat out of me or killed.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98
    Did they arrest ANY of the protestors wearing masks and charge them with a felony? quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Who is "they"? Do you mean the Charlottesville Police and VSP? First of all I am not responsible for the poor decisions made in Charlottesville, second it seems apparent that they were instructed not to take enforcement action as no one was arrested for anything other than the hit and run driver. The fact that they failed to enforce the law doesn't make it any less illegal, just as the various other crimes of rioting and assault that took place that no was arrested for.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    All kidding aside weather does play a part. Not that you'll see many protests on a cold and snowy January day, but a masked person will draw a lot less attention in January then now.

If I was walking down a sidewalk in a city ( A exceedingly rare occurance) today and a masked person was walking twords me. If they weren't visibly armed and their body posture didn't seem threatening to me, I would probably just watch them untill they were a good distance behind me. You can tell a lot about a persons intentions by their body language if you pay attention.

I once got into confrontation when walking my dogs. The dogs were not on a leash. I was carrying concealed. Some guy who I think was scared poopless of dogs came walking up the trail with a double barrel 12ga( this was on state forest land). Said he was hunting dogs. I assumed coyotes. My dogs are friendly. The walked up to him to say hi and he turned and ran. I called my dogs back and put them on leashes.
    At this time this guy holding the shotgun at his side comes strutting right up to me just a bellowing about leash laws and how irresponsible I am and yadda yadda yadda. Then he walks away.

I said something else I forget what and he turns around looking very very mad and stomps up to about 5ft from me. And begins hollering at me again. i was thinking of what do do if this turns violent as he was just starting twords me again but I didn't do anything. The shotgun stayed at his side the entire time. He was fairly pizzed off and his hands were moving around but his grip never left the center balance point of the shotgun, and he never made a threatening move with it.

Was it particularly smart of me to let a angry person with as far as I know a loaded shotgun stomp up to 5ft from me? Maybe not. But I didn't see a threat in him and nothing bad came of it. It was almost like he was so mad at me he forgot he had the gun. His gun didn't make him any more dangerous then mine made me.
  • Options
    rambo rebelrambo rebel Member Posts: 4,028
    edited November -1
    I have never heard of good things happening when a person wearing something to conceal their identity approaches another person on the street. Let's say it isn't Halloween.

after I change my direction to avoid said person approaching me and they then change their course to continue on an intercept course then I would shout "stay away from me". I will have my hand on my weapon as soon as he changes his course, still coming at me.

his actions at that point will dictate whether or not I pull my weapon and use it or not.

I've been there and the person just cussed at me and moved away.
    he changed his course to intercept and after shouting "you need to keep away from me, you stay over there" putting my hand on the grip of my 642 down the back of my waistband. I was crossing the street to avoid him. soon as I did, he started to cross.

thankfully he move in a different direction and kept going. if you aren't "fearful" in that situation then you need a shrink.

I would hate to have shot the fool. I have never been one to freeze under pressure so I am 99% sure I would have shot him.