In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hispanics flee from new Alabama immigration law

get_involvedget_involved Member Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in General Discussion
Apparently only illegal aliens will work. [:0]

The truth is employers have just gotten to used to cheap illegal labor.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/58049.html

laborsslicevv3ls9.gif

Comments

• Options
    AmishAmish Member Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good news for once. Suppose any American needing a job can find construction, agriculture and other work in the following states.

Hispanics flee from new Alabama immigration law

By REID J. EPSTEIN | 6/29/11

Alabama is the latest state to see a mass exodus of Hispanics after passing a strict illegal immigration law.

Dorothy McDade, who runs a Hispanic church outreach center in Tuscaloosa, told Bloomberg that construction firms have called her in search of workers, but she has no one to recommend.

"They're leaving," she said. "Anybody with family in another state is going to go."

The Alabama law - regarded as one of the toughest in the country - imposes penalties on businesses that knowingly employ illegal immigratns and it is be a crime to knowingly transport someone who is in the country illegally. A company's business license could be suspended or revoked.

The law also requires public schools to determine the citizenship status of student and police must detain someone they suspect of being in the country illegally if the person cannot produce proper documentation when stopped for any reason.

The worry over rebuilding in Alabama comes while Georgia is seeking to fill some 11,000 agricultural jobs after Hispanic migrant workers either left the state or never came due to legislation taking effect next month that punished anyone who helped transport an undocumented immigrant and allowed police to check the legal status of anyone not carrying identification.

And South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley on Monday signed legislation that creates a $1.3 million state immigration enforcement unit and, like the laws in Alabama and Georgia, requires employers to use the federal E-Verify system to check the immigration status of employees and job applicants.

The South Carolina law is due to take effect in January.
    www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/58049.html
  • Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    ROLL TIDE![:D]
  • Options
    TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    obama won't let Ala do anything as he has given amnesty thru the DHS[V][xx(]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Good luck on getting Americans to pick fruit and veggies.[:(]
    At least they wont here in Florida. And those that do will do a couple days work to get enough money for their drugs or booze and not show back up.[:(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The teenagers used to do the field work during their breaks. Also the blacks in Tenn. I know i was out there with them one summer. My uncles' brother employed many blacks to pick tomatoes and other veggies.. cut cabbage. I think Tenn is still largely black field workers.

Not surprising Americans wont work with illegal aliens today. And the illegals do not want Americans working with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Amish: I am not talking about americans working along side of Illegals.

Some of my friends own produce farms, The labor is provided by some agencies here, They shut down the Hispanic labor for a couple weeks sorting out who was legal and who wasnt, My friends put out ads for laborers, They got 2 white americans to answer the ad, Those two spent more time under a tree smoking than they did picking. Dont give me the crap "Pay a decent wage" the end result of the market price determines the wages paid. My one friends laborers if they hustled could do 600 bucks a week. Besides the Federal law and state laws govern the amount of minimum pay. People on welfare here wont work for minimum wage[:(] and there are many jobs that minimum is all they can pay and still maintain a business.

I know there are places that hire "Under the table" and those people should be put out of business or at least prosecuted. However the legitament business that go by the book also suffer.
  • Options
    sgm hagsgm hag Member Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in Oklahoma, a couple of years ago, there was a mass exit of Beaners due to a new "illegals law" and the road to Arkansas was jammed with tricked-out pickups and SUVs. Then hundresds of sleezy slumlords were pissed because they were going to have to fix up their "dump" properties before they could get them rented again. The storefront at Home Depot no longer looked like a Cinco de Mayo celebration. But, alas, after they got the same un-welcome in Arkansas, they've come back! Thrift stores, Family Dollar, Wal-Marts, auctions, garage sales and crappy rent houses are flourishing again. In the immortal words of Davey Crockett as he peeked over the walls of the Alamo,"Good Lord, Ya ever seen so many roofers and landscapers?"
  • Options
    RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Can you imagine the mass exodus from all over the United States if Congress and the pres actually enforced such legislation? WOW!! Talk about a population decrease in almost lightspeed time!
  • Options
    NiccoHelNiccoHel Member Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Picking produce... don't we have criminals in prison that could do that stuff for free?
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Picked Potatoes When I Was A Teen /pre Teen
    At .20 Per Bushel And Was Glad to Do it
    And As Most Can See From My Sig Line ....
    There Aint A Drop of
    Mexican In me[^]
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I CONCURR...............[^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
    quote:Originally posted by NiccoHel
    Picking produce... don't we have criminals in prison that could do that stuff for free?
  • Options
    cactuspete1cactuspete1 Member Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What happened to a few big produce farms in california when they cut the labor forces.. They moved to Mexico.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    No work NO welfare!!!!!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The law doesn't deny the Mex a job. It makes sure they did the paperwork in ink rather than river water. I like the high penalties for hiring illegals as it does more good than trying to catch and process the actual illegals.
    Look at it this way. If a contractor bid a job at pay levels which domestic labor would cost and then hires illegals at 1/3 that cost, does he return that money or keep if for himself? Those are the scum suckers that make river hopping so lucrative. I'd be happy to see these guys on the chain gang cleaning up highway trash or doing shovel work for the next 10 years or so.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    MOBUCK: I agree with you. I also think there aren't too many in here if placed in the position of some of the poor of the world that they would break the law,and enter into a country where they could better take care of their families,, If they say they wouldnt I would suspect a lie.[:0]
  • Options
    blazen91blazen91 Member Posts: 270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live on the coast of Alabama. Yesterday I saw two hispanic people broke down on the side of the road; then saw two police cars pull up,question them then arrest them. About time!!
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,362 ******
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a win all the way around.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    nutfinnnutfinn Member Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SWEET HOME ALABAMA [:D]
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    Picked Potatoes When I Was A Teen /pre Teen
    At .20 Per Bushel And Was Glad to Do it
    And As Most Can See From My Sig Line ....
    There Aint A Drop of
    Mexican In me[^]

Picked Tomatoes one summer for .10 per bushel .
    A 10 y/o can make about $1 per day ![:0][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I talked to one builder today that said the Architects are now leary of hiring Mexican artisans (I hate to use that word ).
    They are scared that they may not be able to fulfill their contract.
    One architect I know has gone so far to talk to the building inspectors ,Police,and the Town Council where he works to get advice on what to do .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not many Mexicans bucking bails of hay here in Missouri. Farmers have been working these fields just fine for ever.

However a nice little story about the woman who cut my hair a couple of times. The topic came up and she informed me her husband who owns a logging company hires illegal aliens because "Americans wont work". Calls her hair shop Stars and Stripes and hangs flags all over the place yet hires illegal aliens. Disgusting. Never went back to her. Would have called the local lawman if I knew she was telling the truth.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did business for several years with the apple growers in the Shenadoah Valley of Virginia. When it is picking season, and you have 2000 acres of apples, there is simply not enough local labor in existence to harvest before you lose the crop. Which is why, for about 50 years, those orchards have used LEGAL MIGRANT WORKERS. They enter the US on a temporary work visa (Think it was an M-1 visa) . Most were from Haiti and Jamaica. They pay taxes, social security, and are covered by Worker's comp. They start in Georgia, and crews move North as the harvest progresses. They make decent wages, work like crazy for about 5 months of the year, and go back to Jamaica until next year.

And you are not paying $3 for an apple- so where are the liberals getting THAT crap from?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    And you are not paying $3 for an apple- so where are the liberals getting THAT crap from?

Pulling it out of their * just like most of their other crap .[:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    I did business for several years with the apple growers in the Shenadoah Valley of Virginia. When it is picking season, and you have 2000 acres of apples, there is simply not enough local labor in existence to harvest before you lose the crop. Which is why, for about 50 years, those orchards have used LEGAL MIGRANT WORKERS. They enter the US on a temporary work visa (Think it was an M-1 visa) . Most were from Haiti and Jamaica. They pay taxes, social security, and are covered by Worker's comp. They start in Georgia, and crews move North as the harvest progresses. They make decent wages, work like crazy for about 5 months of the year, and go back to Jamaica until next year.

Probably since JFK changed the immigration guidelines. Got along fine before then. It has not been an improvement to unemployment or the economy. The Haitians and Jamaicans are not US culture. I'm with Don Trump.. goodbye lucy no more immigration, with very few exceptions. Washington is so far left towards globalization it's criminal. We didn't get to vote on it.